E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Oil vacuum pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Oil vacuum pump

I plan to change my own oil for the experince on a 2004 E-320 and would like to know what and were to purchase a quality oil vacuum pump set up. Also if anyone has the step by step instruction for this DIY job would be great.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Few questions come to my mind when you ask that kind of a question.
1. Why do you want to change the oil in your a/c system?
2.How much experience do you have working with a/c systems?
3. do you own a manifold gage set?
4. do you know that it's a 134a type of freon?
5. Is the system contaminated?

Robinaire makes very good quality product
Old 04-07-2006, 02:32 AM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Originally Posted by platinumblue
I plan to change my own oil for the experince on a 2004 E-320 and would like to know what and were to purchase a quality oil vacuum pump set up. Also if anyone has the step by step instruction for this DIY job would be great.
IMHO, there is no such thing as a "quality oil vacuum pump set up". When the TUV (German standards organization) tested this method of extracting used oil in the 1970s in response to the Green Party's demands for a non-environmentally-offensive method of changing oil, their study showed results that were inferior to the traditional drain plug method.

Think of trying to drain a drink bottle without the ability to see what you're doing, without the ability to move the straw and without the ability to tip the bottle. Using the crankcase drain plug allows the dirty used oil to drain almost completely and to flush out the contaminated sediment at the bottom of the crankcase. An oil evacuation pump offers, at best, convenience and partial removal of old oil, leaving abrasive sediment remaining at the bottom of the crankcase.

Does the inferior extraction of the "Topsider" and it's ilk matter? Your guess is as good as mine. AFAIC, the cheaper traditional method is the way to go, given its inherent ability to do a better job.

Last edited by khaug; 04-07-2006 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:08 AM

E320
oil pump vaccum

I'm requesting information in changing the engine oil and would like to kmow the procedure for draining the motor oil with the use of a vacuum pump to pull the oil from the engine. I'm sorry for the confusion. I need the set-up equipment to do the job.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:38 AM

03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
changing engine oil

hey platinumblue,

I don't think I can post stuff from other forums here, so I sent you a PM.

Regards,
Paul...
Old 04-07-2006, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by platinumblue
I'm requesting information in changing the engine oil and would like to kmow the procedure for draining the motor oil with the use of a vacuum pump to pull the oil from the engine. I'm sorry for the confusion. I need the set-up equipment to do the job.
then you are refering to a topsider oil pump
Old 04-07-2006, 10:47 AM

E320
RobertG.......

Paulv. forwarded me the exact information I was looking for and you are also exactly right its' the topsider deal. I will perform these procedures between the dealer's regular FSS (warranty) service and maintenance.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
I performed my own oil changes the old fashioned way for decades until I had a couple of knees replaced. Now I can't kneel so I began using the Topsider. It actually works well if you get the oil warm enough.

As for getting it all out, the Topsider uses a tube that can touch the bottom of the crankcase. When you have most of the oil out, you can hear the suction which will permit you go move the tube around a bit until you have it all out.

The bad thing about my 2004 E320 is that there is no dip stick. This can be a bit unnerving so I measure the amount of oil I've removed to make sure I don't overfill with fresh oil.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes E350 Sport
this thread has to be a joke. why over complicate things?? do it the normal way or go pay someone $20 labor to change your oil- gawd!
Old 04-10-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
I asked the service advisor at my dealer about using the oil extractor / "topsider" method to remove the oil. His response was that they were using an extractor and that many dealers were also. He said that the E-class was somewhat of a pain to remove the belly pans and that the extractor method did remove as much oil as the traditional way. I purchased a "Mityvac Plus" 8.8 qt vacuum extractor and have used it for both E-320s. The good part is that it holds 8+ quarts so you can measure how much oil is really removed.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:43 AM

I don't know why your dealer thinks it's a pain to remove covers and drain oil. It took me 5 mins to remove the rear cover with the car on jack stands, and me on my back in my garage! By the way, I put the car on jack stands because I was also rotating the tires.

But I guess, 5 mins to take the cover off, 5 more mins to put it back on is critical when the dealer is performing this under "warranty maint" work in which they're getting a lower $$ rate.

Regards,
paul...
Old 04-10-2006, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe the dealers dont want to put the car up in the air for oil changes because they might find things to fix(under warranty)
Old 04-10-2006, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Oil Extractor

Khaug, that's a load of crap if I've ever heard one. Even when removing the oil pan's plug - there will still be sediment remaining behind, especially since you're only relying on gravity to do the emptying of your oil's sump.

Not a damn thing wrong with using the evacuator/extractor/topsider when doing oil changes. Especially if you are religious about changing your oil. I never use the 10K intervals on mine and change at 5K. I personally use the Griot's model to do the extracting see the link -----> LINK

PAGE 2 below is probably ALL you need to know BTW:

OIL CHANGE PAGE 1

OIL CHANGE PAGE 2

Last edited by StapleGun; 04-10-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by RobertG
Maybe the dealers dont want to put the car up in the air for oil changes because they might find things to fix(under warranty)
That's why I take the extra effort to remove the cover and drain the oil -- so I can also look around under there. Everyone has their own method, as well as an oil change interval opinion -- that's why I had an used oil analysis done -- I'm happy with the FSS recommendations.

Regards,
Paul...