E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Lowering and Xenons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500
Lowering and Xenons

I have an 05 E500 and just lowered it using the "washer" method in the front. I have not done anything with the rear as of yet. I took the car for a drive just after dark and noticed my xenons now have a clear dark line out in the distance. Apparently xenons are so directly focused that lowering the front of the car angled the front down which by default dropped the outer reach of the headlights. If I leave it like this I will clearly be "overdriving my headlights" where by the time an object comes in to view, I will not be able to stop in time.

I have 4 choices. 1. return it to stock. 2. lower the rear of the car, although the car appears balanced right now. 3. drive with the brights on. 4. adjust / re-aim the headlights which to me is not desireable.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? Does anyone know who can "star diagnostics" lower the car in the Oklahoma City / or occasionally Dallas area? Thanks.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by schoonie3
I have an 05 E500 and just lowered it using the "washer" method in the front. I have not done anything with the rear as of yet. I took the car for a drive just after dark and noticed my xenons now have a clear dark line out in the distance. Apparently xenons are so directly focused that lowering the front of the car angled the front down which by default dropped the outer reach of the headlights. If I leave it like this I will clearly be "overdriving my headlights" where by the time an object comes in to view, I will not be able to stop in time.

I have 4 choices. 1. return it to stock. 2. lower the rear of the car, although the car appears balanced right now. 3. drive with the brights on. 4. adjust / re-aim the headlights which to me is not desireable.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? Does anyone know who can "star diagnostics" lower the car in the Oklahoma City / or occasionally Dallas area? Thanks.
Absolutely definitely do not drive with the brights on!!! You shouldn't make other drivers suffer as a consequence of you deciding to lower the front of your car. Blinding people infront of you isn't going to help anyone and it is ilegal in some areas. I would do option 1 or 2.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:30 PM

05 E500
Correct, was joking about the brights, would never do that. Was just asking you guys about other possible options.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 172 Likes on 156 Posts
99 E320
i dunno, is there something i'm missing with my choice, #4? do you have
these 'castle' adj knob on top of the light housing? i guess i'm not under-
standing why this option is not desireable
Old 06-03-2006, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by schoonie3

When You Lower the Car One MUST realign the headlights

Last edited by MARK CUMMINS; 06-03-2006 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
I've never heard of aligning the headlights after lowering if you do an even drop front and rear, if you lower just the front you'd need to have them done though. Mine was lowered via Star even distance front and back and the headlights are fine. The suspension does need to be aligned after lowering though to preserve tire wear. Contact screen name "Sunman" who is in Houston and can lower via Star, occassionally he comes to Dallas. He can also hook you up with many other mod's.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' S550, 04' E320 4matic, 03' Acura TL-S 6 speed, 1968 Vespa P150
Originally Posted by mbuskuhl
I've never heard of aligning the headlights after lowering if you do an even drop front and rear, if you lower just the front you'd need to have them done though. Mine was lowered via Star even distance front and back and the headlights are fine. The suspension does need to be aligned after lowering though to preserve tire wear. Contact screen name "Sunman" who is in Houston and can lower via Star, occassionally he comes to Dallas. He can also hook you up with many other mod's.
actually, he's kinda correct. Depending how much the drop is but the headlights will now sit lower regardless, hence your beam is not as far. But if you point it up you might end up blinding others.

Can this lowering method be used on an e320 w/o the air suspension?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:44 PM

05 E500
It is my understanding that if you don't have airmatic, then you have springs. You can lower by buying new springs (eibach or H&R are great) or if memeory serves I saw in a post about changing the shims around the stock springs. Do a search for lowering springs...