E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Brake Failure: It Happened Again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Failure: It Happened Again

This is a followup to the older thead titled "Help! Repeated Brake Failure"

I picked up the car (2005 E500) last Wednesday, and on the way to work this morning (Monday) the SBC system failed again. I purposely limped to the dealership with the brake warning still present on the dash. They assured me when I picked up the car that all the recalls/service bulletin actions were performed.

The brakes have now failed 5 times while I have been driving and one time while the technician was test driving. I told them that the car is now theirs, and that I expected a remedy proposal in the next few days.

We will see.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by louiscg

I picked up the car (2005 E500) last Wednesday, and on the way to work this morning (Monday) the SBC system failed again. I purposely limped to the dealership with the brake warning still present on the dash. They assured me when I picked up the car that all the recalls/service bulletin actions were performed.

The brakes have now failed 5 times while I have been driving and one time while the technician was test driving. I told them that the car is now theirs, and that I expected a remedy proposal in the next few days.

We will see.
Did the brakes actually fail? In other words, did you have to press really hard on the pedal to stop? If not, could it be a faulty brake light switch or brake pad sensors? See this thread. https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/150552-service-brake-visit-workshop.html
Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 AM

To BudC:

These are true brake failures. The brakes require a significant amount of force with only 20 percent (or less) of the braking power of the SBC system.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
When will it happen?

The first fatality from a very, very bad design? MB better start getting ready for the biggest class action suit in the history of car manufacturing. They have been slow to recognize a huge problem and slower to remedy it. Get ready.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
It’s time! Private Message your email address: Konigstiger – Send a Private Message.

Last edited by konigstiger; 06-05-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:14 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm
The first fatality from a very, very bad design? MB better start getting ready for the biggest class action suit in the history of car manufacturing. They have been slow to recognize a huge problem and slower to remedy it. Get ready.
How would we know. If it happened to me, my family have know idea about SBC. Accident report would surely not mention anything about SBC failure.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:08 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers

We will see.
For the past few failures, as remedy, did they replace anything? Did you see new parts listed on your work order?

I am completely stumped that your dealership is not able to resolve the SBC issue by replacing defective parts.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
Out of curiousity when was the Class Action lawsuit filed vs. Mercedes Benz. If so, were E- Classes the only model affected or were there other models included? Interested in knowing this info.

Thanks,
amer
Old 06-05-2006, 06:54 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by djamer
Out of curiousity when was the Class Action lawsuit filed vs. Mercedes Benz. If so, were E- Classes the only model affected or were there other models included? Interested in knowing this info.

Thanks,
amer
jimbomcm was predicting that a class action was likely to happen, not saying that one has already been filed. All the reports of non-accident SBC brake failures might interest state and federal regulatory agencies. However, sad to say, it will take an accident causing death or serious injury to interest your typical plaintiff's attorney in filing an action against MBUSA over SBC. As ATS pointed out, in the event of a fatal, it might be difficult to pin the blame on SBC unless the event data recorder retains information about hard brake application and system failure prior to impact.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:46 PM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
Originally Posted by DWP
............ unless the event data recorder retains information about hard brake application and system failure prior to impact.
It does. The only problem is that if there is a fatality, who will know? MB is certainly not going to go out of their way to investigate it.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:47 PM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana

We will see.

I got a new Benz after ONE failure. Get a laywer and make sure that they know that you intent to make a LOT of media noise about this.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
If you think SBC was a mistake, you had better not get a new Lexus GS.

Electronically Controlled Brake system (GS 430): Similar to the system on the Mercedes E-Class, this system is akin to brake-by-wire. The system measures the speed and pressure of your foot on the brake pedal and transfers it electronically to the brakes at each wheel. Combined with huge 13.1 inch front rotors and high friction brake pads, this system works with VDIM to maximize brake performance and provide straight, fade free stops in all weather and road conditions.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:48 AM

Service Actions

"For the past few failures, as remedy, did they replace anything? Did you see new parts listed on your work order?"

According to the service documents, the SBC unit was replaced, the battery/voltage for the SBC was checked, the SBC connection was checked for corrosion, and the recall bracket/wire was installed.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:21 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
"For the past few failures, as remedy, did they replace anything? Did you see new parts listed on your work order?"

According to the service documents, the SBC unit was replaced, the battery/voltage for the SBC was checked, the SBC connection was checked for corrosion, and the recall bracket/wire was installed.
I'm wondering whether there is a leak in the braking system. One of my SBC failures was the improper bleeding of the braking system causing the SBC failure. Wondering whether you have the bubbles within the brake hoses.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Pls keep us posted on the remedy
Old 06-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by GearHead
One of my SBC failures was the improper bleeding of the braking system causing the SBC failure. Wondering whether you have the bubbles within the brake hoses.
It is my understanding The SBC must be bled using STAR after the replacement or removal/installation of: SBC hydraulic unit, brake operating unit, suction line, pressure reservoir, brake lines, brake fluid reservoir, brakes hoses, or brake calipers. Given the repeat occurrences how would/could they overlook this?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:25 PM

SL 500
Any updates on what happened with w/ the brake failure situation?