E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Will K&N filters really damage your MAF sensor???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500, SL500
Will K&N filters really damage your MAF sensor???

QUESTION: "K&N filters will damage your MAF sensor"

(This is what K&N quoted)

ANSWER: "This information given is untrue. Air filters are not rated in micron size. They are rates according to SAE standardized test ISO5011. This includes factory filters. The K&N air filter is capable of flowing 30% more air then factory while having a filter efficiency rating higher and capacity rating higher. There has been no proof that the oil comes off the filters. Most filters have less then 1.5 ounces. This is a myth that gains support via the internet and not one automotive manufacture has been able to substantiate any such claim."

"While we have heard people say such things, we have yet to have one dealer, manufacturer or engineer from a manufacture offer any information or evidence to support such claims. We are currently working on a lot of information for our customers to be posted to our website. This will give our customers more information to go back to the dealer with to help educate the dealer on K&N filters and our stance that they do not hurt the MAF sensor. We have this link http://www.knfilters.com/massair.htm now current."

"Pure in simple, in my opinion many on the internet try to post in which a way that it makes them look very knowledgeable for their own ego reasons. K&N is in the process of updating it’s website to reflect these rumors and challenge anybody to prove such claims with scientific data. We have taken MAF sensors purported to be contaminated with the oil and had them sent to independent laboratories to be examined by mass spectrometers and not one has shown any K&N oil on it."

"Food-for-thought"
Old 06-21-2006, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Yeah right. Last time I used an K&N filter in my E320 (W210) it killed the MAF. No thanks. I will stick to either stock or green filters from now on.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:11 PM

Firstly - you might not want to post private e-mail conversations out here. Secondly, to answer your question - don't over oil them like it says on the instructions. I've never had a problem with K&N filters even on charging and recharging (and reinstalling) on customer cars - not even on my own.

flip
Old 06-21-2006, 04:42 PM

2011 E-class coupe, 2012 C-class
I have the K&N filter along with the Kleemann powerchip on my E220 CDI, together they give 195HP (standard 150HP). Have had it for over a year now and it works great
Old 06-21-2006, 05:27 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
The thing that irritates me about the filters is that we have to oil them and they could always use this as the reason if there ever was a problem.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

first off "Green" filters are even worse for your car b/c they have half the filtration capability and they too use oil. people make such a big deal of it, cleaning your MAF is SOOO simple and cheap. you just do the 91% isopropyl alcohol method. Its funny to see so many stupid benz owners buying new MAFs b/c of K&N filters, haha. cracks me up every time
Old 08-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by OmeyHomey
first off "Green" filters are even worse for your car b/c they have half the filtration capability and they too use oil. people make such a big deal of it, cleaning your MAF is SOOO simple and cheap. you just do the 91% isopropyl alcohol method. Its funny to see so many stupid benz owners buying new MAFs b/c of K&N filters, haha. cracks me up every time
Because it's too easy to mess up your MAF to clean it. Why worry about that kind of stuff when your car is under warranty?
Old 08-01-2006, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Because it's too easy to mess up your MAF to clean it.
What ? Ricky, please explain this statement.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
How much is a MAF?
How much is your time worth?
Why clean your MAF yourself if it's dirty, get Mercedes to replace it under warranty. If you're using stock filters the MAF shouldn't get dirty anyways unless you didn't replace the filters (or your dealer didn't, I'm not sure if that's part of the maint. program, I have a BMW).
Old 08-01-2006, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Why clean your MAF yourself if it's dirty, get Mercedes to replace it under warranty.
Ok , gotcha now.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by JP@CarLAB
Firstly - you might not want to post private e-mail conversations out here. Secondly, to answer your question - don't over oil them like it says on the instructions. I've never had a problem with K&N filters even on charging and recharging (and reinstalling) on customer cars - not even on my own.

flip

I have not had a problem either.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:44 PM
ON PROBATION

I use K&N filters on a number of cars - and have done so for YEARS. I have NEVER had a problem...of course I don't over-oil them....

I am going to ask the folks at AMG in Affalterbach, personally, about this issue (and the OEM filter fitment); and I will report back here directly on what THEY say.