Buy Backs...wow!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by jangy
Wise words I threw out, cause I have been there (many times). I have been on the dealership side of it all and now on the consumer end. Unfortunately, many, if not most of these cars are simply lemons due to the way that they are treated AFTER leaving the manufacturer. Sure, there are a small % that come from the factory with some odd thing. But most get turned into lemons at the dealership end. So, to say that MBUSA did not fix it for customer A but did for customer B is MUCH deeper than it sounds. If you are about to be customer B, think about it VERY hard. The ONLY way you win is IF customer A was simply an *** AND was able to avoid ALL of the consumer pitfalls. The law is very specific on defining a lemon. There is also no such thing as almost a lemon. It either is or is not. In California, I know of ABSOLUTELY zero cases where MBUSA has ever "stepped up". So, those of you that claim they did may want to tell your tale so the others can figure out why MBUSA was proactive with you and not anyone else. In very few cases (mine included) the dealer can act as a mediator. However, in those few cases the dealer must have absolute credibility with both MBUSA and the customer. Any dealership that pushes just for their customers will get shunned by MBUSA and have EVERY warranty hit auditted for life. They simply can not get the regional manager (MBUSA) upset. At any rate, I have NEVER heard of a car being bought back that did not ALREADY meet the requirements. Once you have the profile, you send in a demand letter and MBUSA will accept. In lue of a demand letter, you can ask your service department to speak with MBUSA about it. They will give you an answer and it will get documented on your VIN. If it looks like you have a case AND you plan to pursue it, then they offer to buy it back BEFORE you add to all of their costs by hiring a lemon lawyer, etc.

Lastly, the cars MUST be stickered very well also. Many stealers will not tell you of the status on the phone, since they want you to show up to the dealership. However, in California, you must sign a disclosure statement saying that you acknowledge the lemon. You may save $10K today, but good luck EVER selling that car for even half the value. To those that say they will just drive it into the ground I say why not buy a nice one since you plan to keep it. Why commit such a long time to a lemon just for a little (% wise) savings?

Bottom line is this:

My car says "dealer buy back" if you look it up on Carfax. But my car has been nothing but a pleasure to drive, sans a few minor annoyances. Most notably the "Dead body in my trunk" thread that I started. Other than that I don't have one complaint. So, like I said before, maybe I was one of the lucky ones. Maybe owner number 1 was just an annoying *** and didn't like the way the 7G shifted from first to second. And maybe, just maybe, the dealer did everything they could to satisfy owner number 1 but he/she just wouldn't accept it. So in my case purchasing this buy has been a very good choice. I saved about 8 grand over what I would've had to pay and haven't had any supposed problems with my "lemon".

So, Jangy, if you don't agree with purchasing dealer buy backs, then don't buy one. But don't act like every buy back is a guaranteed headache for owner number 2. My car has proven to be an absolute pleasure, and bargain.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Bottom line is this:

My car says "dealer buy back" if you look it up on Carfax. But my car has been nothing but a pleasure to drive, sans a few minor annoyances. Most notably the "Dead body in my trunk" thread that I started. Other than that I don't have one complaint. So, like I said before, maybe I was one of the lucky ones. Maybe owner number 1 was just an annoying *** and didn't like the way the 7G shifted from first to second. And maybe, just maybe, the dealer did everything they could to satisfy owner number 1 but he/she just wouldn't accept it. So in my case purchasing this buy has been a very good choice. I saved about 8 grand over what I would've had to pay and haven't had any supposed problems with my "lemon".

So, Jangy, if you don't agree with purchasing dealer buy backs, then don't buy one. But don't act like every buy back is a guaranteed headache for owner number 2. My car has proven to be an absolute pleasure, and bargain.
In the 300 miles you've driven it, how many times have you taken it in?

Just calling a spade a spade. Good post, you may be the lucky one. I never said it was impossible to get a good car as a buy back. I simply said you are screwing with your odds.

Glad you enjoy it. Hope you still like that $8K at the end.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:05 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by crhait
MB stepped-up to the plate for me almost a year ago. Had all sorts of issues on a 03 E55. 18 months into it (after many dealer visits, phone calls & letters) I was able to order any car I wanted for a full refund on my 03. Decided to stay with an E55. Ordered a 06 & MB even ate the difference. The 03 was 87,875. the 06 (with basically the same options) stickered out at 94,715.

made me happy!

buy the way, I was told the 2003 would be crushed after using it as a "training vehicle" The car is listed as a "buyback or lemon" on carfax
Glad to hear it and I hope your 06 is a peach.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In the 300 miles you've driven it, how many times have you taken it in?

Just calling a spade a spade. Good post, you may be the lucky one. I never said it was impossible to get a good car as a buy back. I simply said you are screwing with your odds.

Glad you enjoy it. Hope you still like that $8K at the end.

I think you may have me confused with another poster. I've had my car for about 4 thousand miles and it's been to the dealer 3 times. The first was to address the SBC recall, the second was to enable mp3 playback on my Comand, replace a flaky drive dynamic seat switch, and to investigate my dead body flopping around in my trunk. The 3rd to was to do more investigating on the dead body and to lower it via Star Diagnostic.

Oh, and look for my new thread on Monday. Got new 19's on it....I love this thing the more and more I drive it.

Giddy up!
Old 07-01-2006, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And one more thing...

It's so refreshing to actually have an educated debate on here. So many disagreements that I've read on this forum are so poorly written and childish. No personal attacks and no Yo Mama insults in this thread. Glad to know that some of us can just agree to disagree and leave it that.

That said, I'm right and you're wrong.

Oh, and yo mama is so fat, she bleeds gravy!!
Old 07-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Haha!! Benzorama I like you, and yes i was confusing you with schoonie3. I apologize. Glad you like your ride. And yes it is cool that there is something out there for everyone.
Post some pics of those rims and keep the attitude up!!
Old 07-22-2006, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500
Still happy

My wife drives the car and we now have 9200 miles on it. I actually have had not problems....just took it in for an oil change and commented to the service advisor about the tick tick form the engine and they decided to replace the lifters under warranty (and had 2 recalls). My car was a california buyback and the guy I bought if from said MB in CA buys back 80+ benz's per month because of the super stirct lemon laws in that state. He said is not the quantity of repairs, but the length of time the owner is out of service that drives most of the buybacks. My car had a transmission "clunk" on downshift". The had to order the valve from germany (thus the downtime) and reprogrmmed the 7 speed. I was very concerned, but we absolutely love the car and I am happy because we saved huge dollars.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Porsche Cayenne S, MB E430, & M3
djamer, you would have been protected under the california lemon laws. I don't know if your car qualified, but second owner does not matter anymore.
but if you live on the east coast that can't be applied.
I really think it was unfair the MB didn't step up to DJAmer.
As this is his second benz and they just lost a valueable customer.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Buy backs.... no big deal. Could be a navigation problem like what happened to this car I dealt with in 2004. Brand new S430 sport bought back because of Nav software, nothing else was wrong with it.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts
Aston Martin Vantage, GLE 43 AMG, Volvo XC60, BMW X1 35i, Ram 1500, BMW Z4 35i
One thing to consider on buy backs is the problem after the 4 yr 50,000 mi warranty...NO one will warranty the car, even the aftermarket companies...I did a lot of research on this...Almost bought a buyback...real low miles, nice equipment...etc. I looked into the MB and other warranties for beyond 4YR50K and they all said no...There is a reason why you can get so much off the price...you will pay for it on the front end or the back end...
just my $0.02