E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Buy Backs...wow!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 S63 COUPE
Buy Backs...wow!

i am searching for a used 06 and have just been talking to 3 different dealers in different states and was amazed that every 350 i inquired about was a merc buyback......
i was not aware that there have been seemingly so many problems or is this isolated instances?
Old 06-28-2006, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by SPIKES
i am searching for a used 06 and have just been talking to 3 different dealers in different states and was amazed that every 350 i inquired about was a merc buyback......
i was not aware that there have been seemingly so many problems or is this isolated instances?
How did you find this? On a Carfax report or did you ask about the history and they volunteered this information?
Old 06-28-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have one i will sell you.....

email me at cairorex@comcast.net
Old 06-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,427 Likes on 3,149 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
How did you find this? On a Carfax report or did you ask about the history and they volunteered this information?
I’m certain the dealer must disclose this however; you can check any VIN by way of the free CARFAX Lemon Check:
http://www.carfax.com/cfm/general_ch...?partner=car_8

MBUSA bought back my e320 and the VIN reads: ALERT! This 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ E320 has been identified as a Manufacturer Buyback or Lemon.*

Last edited by konigstiger; 06-28-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:57 PM

2019 S63 COUPE
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
they volunteered the info...i ask alot of questions when i enquire though
Old 06-28-2006, 06:27 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
We've got to give MB credit if they're stepping up to the plate and buying cars back to make the owners happy
Old 06-28-2006, 06:31 PM

2016 E350, 2013 C300 4MATIC, 2004.5 C230SS
Originally Posted by RJC
We've got to give MB credit if they're stepping up to the plate and buying cars back to make the owners happy
Original owner's happyness is second owner's nightmare.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by RJC
Credit for abiding both the UCC and state lemon laws? I'd personally rather be giving them credit for making a quality product instead of being an apologist for something like that.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
yea, but where do these cars go? who buys them?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by allen_7
Original owner's happyness is second owner's nightmare.

Mercedes fixes all outstanding problems on a buy back before they sell it at auction. And the car still gets the remainder of the factory warranty. How do I know? I purchased a buy back and saved about 8 grand in the process. Mercedes discloses the problem to the next buyer in a written statement. This statement also says that the problem was fixed. My car stated "transmission concerns". I have had zero problems with my tranny. The dealer reset the adaptive learning at my request before I took delivery of it.

If I buy another Mercedes, I won't hesitate to purchase another buy back. The savings are definately worth the risk to me, especially since it's still under warranty.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:36 AM

2016 E350, 2013 C300 4MATIC, 2004.5 C230SS
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Mercedes fixes all outstanding problems on a buy back before they sell it at auction. And the car still gets the remainder of the factory warranty. How do I know? I purchased a buy back and saved about 8 grand in the process. Mercedes discloses the problem to the next buyer in a written statement. This statement also says that the problem was fixed. My car stated "transmission concerns". I have had zero problems with my tranny. The dealer reset the adaptive learning at my request before I took delivery of it.

If I buy another Mercedes, I won't hesitate to purchase another buy back. The savings are definately worth the risk to me, especially since it's still under warranty.
You are a lucky man........Why do you think MBUSA buys them back? Must be something the dealer couldn't fix for more than 3 times in the first year. Either that dealership suck or MBUSA did some magical thing..............

But when I get my E500 new they discounted for more than 8k........
Old 06-29-2006, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by allen_7
You are a lucky man........Why do you think MBUSA buys them back? Must be something the dealer couldn't fix for more than 3 times in the first year. Either that dealership suck or MBUSA did some magical thing..............

But when I get my E500 new they discounted for more than 8k........

My car was discounted 8K off of what pre-owned for the same year with the same options were going for at the time. There's a big difference between 8k off of new MSRP and 8K off of current pre-owned prices.

Also, As I understand it, they'll buy the car back for customer satisfaction purposes even if the car is not a complete lemon.

Let's say MB has a customer that is just a complete pain in the rear. Let's also say that they're not happy with the way their car shifts from 1-2 (common with the 7G) transmission. So they keep bringing it to the dealer time and time again but they're just never satisfied. They complain enough to get MB to purchase the car back but the car was fixed according to MB specs. If that customer stomps his or her feet enough, MB will put them in a new car and sell their current one.

I'm sure that there are some cases where the car is a complete lemon but I have a hard time believing that MB would knowingly re-sell a lemon to the public.

Maybe I was just lucky, I don't know. But I do know that my car has been great. I have had some gremlins, as most of us on this board have, but nothing relating to the reason the car was purchased back.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
What happens when you want to sell it?

Does carfax keep a record that it was a buyback? I don't think you can give it away when you want to trade.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm
Does carfax keep a record that it was a buyback? I don't think you can give it away when you want to trade.

Yep, it'll be noted in Carfax. But I plan on keeping this car, not trading it in or selling it to anyone.

And on the off chance that I do sell it, obviously I'll get less money for it. But that's ok, because I'm already ahead of the game due to the huge discount I got when I purchased it.

It's a moot point though. I plan on keeping this car until it dies.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:28 PM

05 E500
I bought a 2005 E500 with 6700 miles , lighting, appearance and premium packages, and chrome wheels for $43,000. I have had a few minor issues (none related to the buyback), but overall Iam very happy....and I have 43K of warranty left which gives me some peace.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:52 PM

05 E500 Wagon
What do you expect if you are looking for a “used” 2006? / I have to imagine that the vast majority of used cars, in the current model year, have a story to tell…why else would they be there (on the used lot)…I mean most people do not buy a car and then sell it in the same model year it makes sense to me that most “used 06’s” would be a buy-back, executive demo, loaner etc…
Old 06-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama

OMG!! tranny issues no less.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by schoonie3
I bought a 2005 E500 with 6700 miles , lighting, appearance and premium packages, and chrome wheels for $43,000. I have had a few minor issues (none related to the buyback), but overall Iam very happy....and I have 43K of warranty left which gives me some peace.
So, you put 300 miles on it and had a "few minor problems" and are still happy you bought a lemon? How do you even know what you have done yet?
Old 07-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
If you come accross an ML500 with tranny problems, DO NOT GET IT!! PM and I will show you why. You are on some crack if you think the factory fixes what they could not fix under regular warranty work. What, only once it has been deemed a lemon does MBUSA decide to fix it for a second guy? Wake up. If you don't mind taking my mess for a discount that is fine, but don't pretend it is new. You shold edit your sig to say you drive a lemon.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:47 AM
rjm

Multiple
Originally Posted by RJC
Yea, it really gives me a lot of confidence to know they have to buy back so many cars because of problems they are unable to fix.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:54 AM

see sig
Originally Posted by RJC
MB stepped-up to the plate for me almost a year ago. Had all sorts of issues on a 03 E55. 18 months into it (after many dealer visits, phone calls & letters) I was able to order any car I wanted for a full refund on my 03. Decided to stay with an E55. Ordered a 06 & MB even ate the difference. The 03 was 87,875. the 06 (with basically the same options) stickered out at 94,715.

made me happy!

buy the way, I was told the 2003 would be crushed after using it as a "training vehicle" The car is listed as a "buyback or lemon" on carfax

Last edited by crhait; 07-01-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Jeez guys... Don't scare the crap out of him.

...But the only thing I come away from this thread with is "Why would they fix everything they couldn't repeatedly fix for the first guy, and fix it right for the second guy?"

It is a nagging question.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Wise words I threw out, cause I have been there (many times). I have been on the dealership side of it all and now on the consumer end. Unfortunately, many, if not most of these cars are simply lemons due to the way that they are treated AFTER leaving the manufacturer. Sure, there are a small % that come from the factory with some odd thing. But most get turned into lemons at the dealership end. So, to say that MBUSA did not fix it for customer A but did for customer B is MUCH deeper than it sounds. If you are about to be customer B, think about it VERY hard. The ONLY way you win is IF customer A was simply an *** AND was able to avoid ALL of the consumer pitfalls. The law is very specific on defining a lemon. There is also no such thing as almost a lemon. It either is or is not. In California, I know of ABSOLUTELY zero cases where MBUSA has ever "stepped up". So, those of you that claim they did may want to tell your tale so the others can figure out why MBUSA was proactive with you and not anyone else. In very few cases (mine included) the dealer can act as a mediator. However, in those few cases the dealer must have absolute credibility with both MBUSA and the customer. Any dealership that pushes just for their customers will get shunned by MBUSA and have EVERY warranty hit auditted for life. They simply can not get the regional manager (MBUSA) upset. At any rate, I have NEVER heard of a car being bought back that did not ALREADY meet the requirements. Once you have the profile, you send in a demand letter and MBUSA will accept. In lue of a demand letter, you can ask your service department to speak with MBUSA about it. They will give you an answer and it will get documented on your VIN. If it looks like you have a case AND you plan to pursue it, then they offer to buy it back BEFORE you add to all of their costs by hiring a lemon lawyer, etc.

Lastly, the cars MUST be stickered very well also. Many stealers will not tell you of the status on the phone, since they want you to show up to the dealership. However, in California, you must sign a disclosure statement saying that you acknowledge the lemon. You may save $10K today, but good luck EVER selling that car for even half the value. To those that say they will just drive it into the ground I say why not buy a nice one since you plan to keep it. Why commit such a long time to a lemon just for a little (% wise) savings?
Old 07-01-2006, 12:32 PM

SL 500
This is an interesting thread. I bought a Pre-Cerified Owned CL 500 with 33K miles on it. Full warranty applied. It wasn't a lemon or buyback, but within one month of ownership, I visited the dealership 6 times for the same problem.. ABC malfuctions, plus, many numberous electrical issues. My Service Advisor was very accomodating in attempting to fix the problems, but bottom line, they wouldn't buy it back, or offer full refund. I would have been very satisfied if the issues were resolved but continuous visits caused me alot of stress and more importantly a huge waste of time. Two days ago, i decided to simply trade it for a brand new Infiniti.

Since I was the second owner of the CL, I got dealt w/ the problem child. If you happen to buy a 'Buy Back' and no problems arise, you are very lucky.

Amer
Old 07-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
djamer, you would have been protected under the california lemon laws. I don't know if your car qualified, but second owner does not matter anymore.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buy Backs...wow!