E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

speed cameras lover (poser)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E270cdi
Exclamation speed cameras lover (poser)

Makes me laugh...... makes me swear........... makes me want to drive it off the cliffs. We have this E220 CDI with 31500kms. In two months got 5 over speeding fines, The first one were not sure if we were driving within the limit, the second one was in doubt, but the other was 100% sure. We were driving 70 km/hr and received the lovely black and white photo showing 92 kms/hr. And this happens only with this particular car, as the other E270 we have drives 80 in an 80 km/hr zone, and is fine.

We had the clock checked at the Mercedes dealer, and reads perfectly.

Any one has any suggestions? Seems strange, but it's true.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Just slow down!!
Old 07-11-2006, 12:58 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
If you didn't drive so falcon fast you wouldn't be so cross about getting speeding tix.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by malta
Makes me laugh...... makes me swear........... makes me want to drive it off the cliffs. We have this E220 CDI with 31500kms. In two months got 5 over speeding fines, The first one were not sure if we were driving within the limit, the second one was in doubt, but the other was 100% sure. We were driving 70 km/hr and received the lovely black and white photo showing 92 kms/hr. And this happens only with this particular car, as the other E270 we have drives 80 in an 80 km/hr zone, and is fine.

We had the clock checked at the Mercedes dealer, and reads perfectly.

Any one has any suggestions? Seems strange, but it's true.
Do you know where the speedometer source is? I don't know about MBs or any other late model cars. Years ago, it used to be the transmission, so when people put big wheels/tires on their cars, the speedometer was way off. Big difference between 70 and 92 km/hr -- something is obviously messed up. Good luck.

Regards,
paul....
Old 07-11-2006, 04:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Less Expensive than Tickets

Here's your solution:

http://www.phantomplate.com/

Last edited by TPAbnz; 07-11-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:38 PM
Almost a Member!

W211
Originally Posted by TPAbnz
Here's your solution:

http://www.phantomplate.com/
Why stop at the plate?

I say cover your whole car in that stuff
Old 07-12-2006, 04:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Makes me laugh...... makes me swear...........
If you have had your speedo checked out and it is accurate, then sadly I feel that if you look in a mirror you might catch the culprit!!

If the camera was inaccurate, then there would be queues of drivers complaining, if on the other hand it is the design of the car, then on this forum we would be reading any number of messages complaining about this.

You might think you are an attentive driver, you might think you do not break speed limits, but...........

Incidentally is the 'we' the Royal 'we'? Or are there multiple drivers of the car that have exceeded the speed limits?

Malta, what a beautiful island, shame on you for speeding

Take care,
John

A beautiful sunny morning in Torquay
Old 07-12-2006, 09:25 AM

E270cdi
When I say we, it means multiple drivers, as this car is part of a fleet used for chauffeur driven company.

Why slow down when we are already going 10kms less than the speed limit?
Old 07-12-2006, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why slow down when we are already going 10kms less than the speed limit?
Thanks for the quick reply,
Unless you have very large diameter wheels I would suggest your speedometer is accurate (which you have confirmed) The camera equipment I would assume has also to be calibrated and if you are to be believed when you claim to be travelling 10km under the speed limit the courts must be jammed solid with alledged speeding motorists?? Every single car on that road must surely have been reported???

Sorry but if I was the judge I would be wearing my little black cap. Guilty

John
Old 07-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by glojo

If the camera was inaccurate, then there would be queues of drivers complaining, if on the other hand it is the design of the car, then on this forum we would be reading any number of messages complaining about this.

You might think you are an attentive driver, you might think you do not break speed limits, but...........
Perhaps there are many people who have been the victim of a faulty camera, but think of how many people they catch with that camera. Not enough to cause a huge stir. It'll be a few people at home befuddled by why they got this ticket, and others believing that they were in fact speeding. It's unlikely you'd hear of others complaining. So perhaps check that out.

On the other hand, you could have been going hella fast. Check the speed of the roadlines passing (maybe set up a video camera and tape it in the E270 for which you know the speed is right, and then compare with your E220). It would be a fun, extensive experiment.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by euroteckKR
Perhaps there are many people who have been the victim of a faulty camera, but think of how many people they catch with that camera.
It might well be the way I am reading the message, but I interpret it as saying the camera actually 'booked' (photographed) the car when it was travelling 10km under the speed limit!! Therefore it would be highly possible that every vehicle passing the camera would be photographed?? We have no idea if this is a digital, or a film camera, but whatever it is, it will be clogged with reported vehicles and the figures would be way, way out of sync???

In the United Kingdom each local authority has what I will call a measured mile. This is a straight level road with a calibrated measured distance, which allows all types of checks. I would recommend 'Malta' make enquiries to see if there is such an arrangement, then if there is simply travel through the calibrated distance (be it metric or imperial) at a set speed and time yourself. Then work out how long it should take, this will give you the error. On older cars it used to be terrible, but modern vehicles are far more accurate.

Imperial measurements are easy 60mph equates to one mile in one minute.

John

Good luck,
John
Old 07-13-2006, 11:11 AM

E270cdi
First of all I would like to thank all those who are trying to help find a solution.

I've been to wireless Dept. and was told that since this is happening only at night, it could be a glare from the car that's making the camera read differently...... don't know if it's true or not. I'm trying to get the name of the camera, and will contact the supplier directly and see what he has to say.

As said before, some people don't want to go through the hassle of trying to find out the truth about speed cameras, and just admit and go pay the fine. Maybe if it was once I will accept, but more than that i'm not letting it go.

Will keep everyone posted, and thanks once again.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Time for electronic countermeasures

Check out this product:

http://www.radarjammertechnology.com...f2-details.php
Old 11-30-2019, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 341 Posts
C320
Or move somewhere that doesn't suck.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:06 PM