E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
View Poll Results: Do you like Teleaid
I continued past the initial 1 year with basic service.
43.10%
I continued past the initial 1 year with premium service.
5.17%
I don't like it and stopped after the first year.
20.69%
Never signed up and haven't missed it.
25.86%
What is Teleaid? Never heard about it before!
5.17%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Teleaid - is it worth the money?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
Teleaid - is it worth the money?

So Teleaid, like OnStar, costs money through the subscription. I was wondering how many of you continued the subscription past the one year you get when you buy the car? And what is also interesting is how many opted for the premium service?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:11 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
https://mbworld.org/forums/general-mercedes-discussion/155381-ok-somebody-please-remind-me-what-240-year-tele-aid-gets-me.html
Old 07-14-2006, 11:45 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I was on the phone with another forum member today and he mentioned that TeleAid is being discontinued soon. Has anyone else heard this?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Gosh I hope not. I had a flat this past Monday. Pushed the wrench button and soon had service dispatched. Really quite handy. Sure I could of called roadside assistance on my cell, but who knows? What if I hadn't had my cell or the battery were dead?
Old 07-15-2006, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by xraymd
Gosh I hope not. I had a flat this past Monday. Pushed the wrench button and soon had service dispatched. Really quite handy. Sure I could of called roadside assistance on my cell, but who knows? What if I hadn't had my cell or the battery were dead?
Also I think they already know your location thanks to GPS when you call. What do you get for Premium Service and how much is it?
Old 07-15-2006, 03:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
Just for a FLAT? is it that bad you couldn't change a tire?
Old 07-15-2006, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
One of your choices should have been "Renewed it, but not quite sure why." I probably renewed it only because I hate to have inoperative buttons (as well as blank plates instead of buttons for unordered options). I havent used it since my "get acquainted" call... and it too them forever to answer THAT call as I sat in silence wondering if my call went thru.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Originally Posted by BenzVince
Just for a FLAT? is it that bad you couldn't change a tire?

Along the freeway with the flat on the traffic side? No way dude. I've changed several flats in my life, but I left this one for somebody else. While he changed the flat, I stood "lookout." Some old lady looking in her rearview mirror came within 4-5 feet of my car while he was working.

On the lame side, my jack and inflation pump are all still pretty and virginal.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
Would be far less expensive to simply have two cell phones with two separate carriers...which is essentially what you're doing with having both a cell phone and Teleaid, IMHO.

FWIW,

EDJ
Old 07-15-2006, 09:30 PM

2003 E320
I never used it in two years and stopped it after that. I only drive under 5,000 miles a year. I'm also a member of AAA. In other circumstances, I might have kept it.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:28 AM

2004 E500 AMG Sport and 2020 GLC300
It is just like insurance...it is only worth it if you are in a situation where you need it. Extra cellphones will do you no good if you crash in a remote area, YOU are disabled, and you need help fast. Teleaid automatically signals for help.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
Originally Posted by NATS64
It is just like insurance...it is only worth it if you are in a situation where you need it. Extra cellphones will do you no good if you crash in a remote area, YOU are disabled, and you need help fast. Teleaid automatically signals for help.
Yes, but isn't teleaid just a fancy packaged cell service? If you have no cell reception, you would have no teleaid access either, isn't that correct?

EDJ
Old 07-16-2006, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Oh I dont know.. change the tire YOURSELF??!
Old 07-16-2006, 03:28 PM

1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
when i attempted to sign up i could not make a connection so i called on my cell phone. after 2 responders couldn't figure out what was wrong, one asked me to press sos button. depressing button disabled all electronic functions for 20 minutes. teleaid responders suggested i call my dealer for a tow-they did not know car would recycle (my dealer told me via phone to wait 20 min.) i never registered for the service and would pay a nominal amount to make sure teleaid never has access to my car. their ignorance could prove dangerous.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Originally Posted by Brav
Oh I dont know.. change the tire YOURSELF??!

Uh, see response 8. Thanks for paying attention
Old 07-17-2006, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
you needed to be told twice.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:56 PM

2003 E-500
I quit after the first year because neither Tele-aid or the On-Star in my Yukon would work in areas of Utah, Colarado and Nevada that my cell phone works in. When I really needed ON-Star in my Yukon a few years back, after a total engine failure on a cold morning outside of Green River Utah, it didn't work, but fortunately my cell phone did. We had a tow truck on I-70 in about 20 minutes on a cold December day and had to be towed to Grand Junction, CO.

After that experience I gave the Tele-aid in my MB a test all the way from Fort Collins, Co to and from our home in CA. Coming west it had very poor coverage until we got to Las Vegas. It seemed like the SOS button would work when the regular wrench button wouldn't in a couple of spots but overall, service was so bad I never renewed.

I have read recently that On-Star uses an older form of cell phone communication--analog as opposed to digital, GSM or CDMA. I believe this is also one of the problems with Tele-Aid as I think it may be based on the On-Star system. The Cell phone companies are trying to drop all analog systems and even some of the digital links in favor of the more flexible CDMA and GSM formats. Their is currently a big suit of former AT&T customers complaining about the lousy service they are now getting with their old analog and digital phones under Cingular, which wants you to convert to their new GSM format phones and thus buy new phones with a two year commitment. This is not a Telecommunications forum so I won't go into further detail, but if you are interested, just Google for a format comparison and you'll see what is driving the problem.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
I subscribed to the basic package ($240/yr) after the first year and it isn't worth it. I would rather get the full package or nothing at all. Haven't used it once. I used to use the concierge feature all the time especially with the unlimited conference calls but now that they took that away it's more just a safety feature.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by ATS
I was on the phone with another forum member today and he mentioned that TeleAid is being discontinued soon. Has anyone else heard this?
Teleaid is not being discontinued! Infact, upgrade kits are even in the works so owners with older Analog systems can upgrade to Digital service.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:30 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Double Eagle
I have read recently that On-Star uses an older form of cell phone communication--analog as opposed to digital, GSM or CDMA. I believe this is also one of the problems with Tele-Aid as I think it may be based on the On-Star system.
That would sure explain those crashing bursts of static I've heard when Tele Aid was trying to connect, the few times I've tried to use it. You never hear that kind of static on a modern digital cell phone system. This thread has been very useful, especially the input about how Tele Aid fails in various places where cell phones work. I'm not renewing; it would be $240 down the toilet.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:12 AM

2006 E500
Originally Posted by Double Eagle
I have read recently that On-Star uses an older form of cell phone communication--analog as opposed to digital, GSM or CDMA. I believe this is also one of the problems with Tele-Aid as I think it may be based on the On-Star system. The Cell phone companies are trying to drop all analog systems and even some of the digital links in favor of the more flexible CDMA and GSM formats.
Tele-Aid WAS analog...but it has been transitioning to digital. From the MBUSA website (http://www.mbusa.com/care/client-care/teleaid.do):

Tele Aid-equipped vehicles will have one of three types of equipment:

Analog Only: All Model Year 2000 through Model Year 2004 vehicles and some Model Year 2005 and 2006 vehicles are equipped with analog-only equipment. The U.S. analog wireless carriers are obligated to provide service up until January 1, 2008, but some degradation in service in anticipation of the transition date can be expected. Canadian wireless carriers have indicated that they will follow the U.S. transition plan. As of January 1, 2008, Tele Aid-equipped vehicles with analog-only equipment will no longer have Tele Aid service.

Digital/Analog (Dual Mode): Some Model Year 2005, most Model Year 2006, and all Model Year 2007 Tele Aid-equipped vehicles feature dual-mode (digital/analog) equipment, which will be unaffected by the digital transition.

Analog-to-Digital Retrofit: Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC will, in due time, offer all analog-only Tele Aid customers a digital retrofit solution for purchase. Unfortunately, Model Year 2000 and some Model Year 2001 Tele Aid-equipped vehicles cannot be upgraded.

How will I know what kind of equipment is in my vehicle?

If you are an active Tele Aid subscriber, Mercedes Benz will contact you and inform you about your personal options.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:32 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

So MBUSA has been using Tele Aid as a selling point on 2006 models with analog Tele Aid, knowing that it won't work after 2007? How very nice of them. I can't imagine a cellular carrier maintaining analog service one day longer than they have to, once they are allowed to force their remaining analog customers to buy a new digital phone. Has MBUSA breathed a word about the price of their "digital retrofit solution for purchase" when they deign to make it available "in due time"?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by DWP
So MBUSA has been using Tele Aid as a selling point on 2006 models with analog Tele Aid, knowing that it won't work after 2007? How very nice of them. I can't imagine a cellular carrier maintaining analog service one day longer than they have to, once they are allowed to force their remaining analog customers to buy a new digital phone. Has MBUSA breathed a word about the price of their "digital retrofit solution for purchase" when they deign to make it available "in due time"?
See gvaughn's great post above, can someone please make it a sticky?

MB (and Onstar) have already transitioned to Digital with all new cars. Infact, the transition started two years ago. These systems are safety systems and must work over as large an area as possible in the US. The transition could not happen sooner because the carriers don't even support digital throughout there entire sytems. In MB's case, they also had to transition out of TDMA to CDMA (AT&T to Verizon) to maintain the best coverage while AT&T+Cingular putzed around with their poorly implemented TDMA to GSM network transition.

Believe me, there is no "MBUSA Conspiracy" when it comes to Teleaid.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:29 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MagicO309D

Believe me, there is no "MBUSA Conspiracy" when it comes to Teleaid.
I believe it, brother. Maintaining a conspiracy requires organization and discipline.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by DWP
I believe it, brother. Maintaining a conspiracy requires organization and discipline.
Totally rocks, I love this site! I'm with you bro!

I just don't want to dis the poor soles that labor to make Teleaid work day-in-day-out and 24/7.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Teleaid - is it worth the money?