E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Navigation Installed but still not working/functional

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation Installed but still not working/functional

I installed my Navigation drive thanks to Steph280's post with pics! (Thanks man!). Started her up and everything loaded. However, the bloody thing does not know to find me in seattle rather it places me at some default location in PA. Someone said that there is supposed to be a number on the LCD showing how many satellites you are receiving from. I do not have any such luck.

I have properly split the GPS antenna cable in the trunk with a GPS splitter ($70) and hooked up power and the MOST fiber-op cables. Still no correct positioning.

Has anyone seen this problem and how was it resolved? Thanks.

Car Details:
'03 E320 with EURO COMAND and NAV DVD Drive in trunk installed (i think).
Old 07-24-2006, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
The satellite display is in the bar which runs across the bottom of the screen all the time (wher it also displays your altitude). There is a tiny funny looking satellite icon, followed by a number.

The last time my Navi unit was replaced it took about a half hour for the compas to work, and for the unit to find even 1 satellite. (The location on the screen was 20 miles away wrong too). It took several days to find 6, 7 & 8 satellites. Sometimes it lists 10 satellites now.

I've been told you have to give it time to find the satellites & locate itself.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
NAV DVD Drive in trunk installed (i think).
Do you, or do you not have a DVD drive in the trunk?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Almost a Member!

i Do! I installed it myself. I meant that "I think" I installed it properly
Old 07-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Almost a Member!

WOW Barry that is what i wanted to hear. I barely gave it 10 minutes! I will give it more time. I was using the Dealers DVD to check to see if my installation worked good. I have since purchased one from EBAY should be getting here soon (i hope) In the mean time i'll stop by the dealer again and borrow their DVD and wait a while for it to pick up some satelilltes.

While it is searching for satellites does the satellite icon show up with "0" or does it not show up at all. I dont have any icon showing up.

also, when I disconnect the cable going to the teleaid, i get 1 malfunction in the MFD. Does this indicate that my GPS antenna is working properly? or just that the teleaid box see's infinite impedance and reports an error?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:00 AM
Almost a Member!

Hey Barry thanks...I just went back to the dealer and popped the DVD in and it all worked. I've got NAV. 2 more problems though.

1. I tried to buy the side paneling for the trunk and the dealer has only black is there somewhere i can get a grey one from? He said that there is no grey one. is this true.

2. I need to get them to program the MFD to show navigational prompts. THe dealer says 2 hours but some here say 10 minutes. Steve or whoever else knows. Will they need to flash the HU(COMAND) and the ECU ? What is involved? What are the disadvantages of NOT updating the software and/or reprogramming the MOST ring?

My fear is that if they update the software i will not be able to play DVD's in motion/ mp3's anymore.

Please advise Thanks.!!

Last edited by iookpareke; 07-26-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:27 AM
Almost a Member!

so more bad news. I bought my DVD off ebay...came today....popped it in and it didnt work what is the problem???????? it says NO Navigation DVD inserted (Boot). this is very saddening. is this a problem from not programming it? I need to understand why its not working.... please help. anyone seen this before? the Dealer's worked. i'll go over there and try his again.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Originally Posted by iookpareke
so more bad news. I bought my DVD off ebay...came today....popped it in and it didnt work what is the problem???????? it says NO Navigation DVD inserted (Boot). this is very saddening. is this a problem from not programming it? I need to understand why its not working.... please help. anyone seen this before? the Dealer's worked. i'll go over there and try his again.
Most NAV DVDs are not backwards compatible. If you used the Dealers DVD and it worked, then it probably reflashed your NAV. If that is the case, then you will need to run the same version of the DVD as what you tested with, earlier versions are unlikely to work.

I recently purchased a 2005.3 NAV DVD from e-Bay, as soon as I inserted the disk, an "upgrading NAV" message appeared; once it completed the upgrade everything worked fine. When I took the new disk out and put the old 2004.1 disk back in, the NAV would not recognize. -- I guess the file structure changed from one version to another, or something.

..Or maybe MB doesn't want people re-selling their used NAV DVDs once they upgrade to a newer version..
Old 07-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Almost a Member!

You have got to be Sh*tting me!!! How come no one said anyting about this Aarrrgh! This is so saddening! And the dealer gave me the 2006.1 version to try while i bought the 2005.3 version off ebay! I guess I need to upgrade then huh!That is just sad! Thanks alot though. I guess thats what the problem is!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Almost a Member!

<Call for help>
Does anyone out there have a 2006.1 version of the NAV dvd?? Can you please burn me a copy?? Can you send it to me?? I'll pay! PM me.

Thanks
</Call for help>