E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

I'm in the market but Jittery!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
I'm in the market but Jittery!!!

I currently have a W210 E430 - what a sleeper!!! Love this car but I'm really getting fed up with the electronic issues. I have been contemplating the W211 but after two days living with a loaner MY06 E350 with less than 8K on the ODO, I must say I'm not not impressed at all with the handling - everything else was great!!! Maybe it's the way the V8 of my 210 links with the rubber, but I found the W211 350 very nervous in handling. It was bouncy on bumps, and the brakes seemed to be way ahead of me - extremely anxious to engage!!! What's with this electronic braking stuff. I want to drive a W211 500 before making up my mind. But of course, I can count on you folks to tell me what the 500 or 550 (if it exists) is like - primarily handling. After my loaner experience, I would not consider the 350 in any variation. Is the 500 more aggressive? How about these electronic issues that MB never seems to be able to resolve? I'm looking at a 06 500 (the 07 front end looks too much like an Acura!!!) and I want to decide soon. My wife, who will be driving the car, has already made up her - a 5 series Bimmer, but I'm trying to convince her they all have similar problems and the Benz really looks nicer (though the Bimmer's maintenance contract is very very attractive and I love to shift!!!).
Old 07-28-2006, 12:46 AM

2006 E500
You should test drive a new car at the dealership rather than basing your opinions on a loaner. Loaner cars tend to be treated poorly and the experience may not reflect what you'd get from a new car.

I drive an E500 and thoroughly enjoy the experience. I can't compare it to the E350, I don't remember the experience enough to compare.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:58 AM

ML
Originally Posted by gvaughn
You should test drive a new car at the dealership rather than basing your opinions on a loaner. Loaner cars tend to be treated poorly and the experience may not reflect what you'd get from a new car.

I drive an E500 and thoroughly enjoy the experience. I can't compare it to the E350, I don't remember the experience enough to compare.
Thanks gvaughn, but this was basically a new vehicle. Actually you just reinforced my opinion - if a low mileage 2006 MB E350 is like this, I wonder what it'd handle like 4-5 years down the line. Granted, the loaner didn't have the sport package but, it really just didn't handle well. It probably was mistreated, but if the handling is that bad (according to me) at that mileage, it really makes me wonder about the 350. In anycase, the 350 is out and I really want to drive a 500 but the dealer never seems to have any available.

BTW, we have a Mclaren F1 here - beautiful car. The story (true too) is that someone ordered it, put a bunch of cahs down and then decided they didn't want it anymore. So, the local dealershi is raffling the thing or $300,000.00 cash. This car is definitely the best I've seen, besides the Testarossa!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:18 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
My '03 E500 has what I would call a stiff, unyielding ride, at even the "softest" Airmatic setting, on anything other than glass-smooth pavement. It's not at all what I would expect of a "luxury" car - but that's probably a minority opinion here. Regrettably, the car doesn't compensate for the rough ride with superior handling. The SBC brakes may seem "grabby" at first but you'll get used to them. The '07 W211 doesn't have the SBC brakes; the replacement system supposedly has a more traditional linear feel. So, if you can get past the grille on the '07 (An Acura? A Cadillac, maybe, but an Acura?) the brakes on the '07 may be more like what you're used to. If by "aggressive" you mean "faster accelerating", yes, the E500 accelerates faster than the E350, although not by a huge margin. The '07 E550 promises to substantially widen that gap.

If you can put up with the looks of the 5-Series (I can't) you should seriously consider going that way. BMW has mastered the combination of comfortable ride and nimble handling, a trick that still eludes Mercedes. Maybe it helps to be based near the Alps. Me, I'm seriously considering going downscale with the '07 G35, because I like to shift too.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:19 AM
lig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
If handling is your primary concern IMO the W211 isn't really going to be the ideal car for you. As DWP suggested - even though it's fugly - the 5 series is a better handling car.

Do you need a big car? If a smaller car is o.k. for you and you want to stick with M-B I think the C55 would be a far better choice than an E350/550.

Lots of choices out there.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
For what you pay for a MB an 8000 mile loaner should be like NEW. IF you don't like what you were driving consider something else. There really are many other cars on the market that don't have MB on the logo but are still nice. Have you looked at the Chrysler Hemi built on the Mercedes E class chassy? Remember the relationship between Chrysler and MB and not to mention the new commercials with Dr Z. Not to mention you could buy a new Chrysler and keep at least $2.00 that you would have spent on the MB. Jim
Old 07-28-2006, 02:06 PM

2006 E500
Originally Posted by Darkmann
This car is definitely the best I've seen, besides the Testarossa!!!
The Testarossa is, hands down, my favorite car of all time!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 E500
Just as an FYI, I spent a very long time deliberating whether or not to jump back into an MB after some of the problems I had with my old C-Class. I ended up trading in my MB for a BMW and thoroughly enjoyed driving it. However, I truly missed some of the nice touches that MB incorporates into their vehicles. I ended up trading in my BMW after a short while for my E500 and absolutely LOVE it! I can't directly compare the E to the 3 series as they are a different class of vehicle but I can say that the 3 ZHP I had was the best performance sedan I have driven to date. It was fun to drive and very responsive. The E500 is the best all around vehicle I have driven by far (and it is very fast when you want it to be).
Old 07-28-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkmann
I currently have a W210 E430 - what a sleeper!!! Love this car but I'm really getting fed up with the electronic issues. I have been contemplating the W211 but after two days living with a loaner MY06 E350 with less than 8K on the ODO, I must say I'm not not impressed at all with the handling - everything else was great!!! Maybe it's the way the V8 of my 210 links with the rubber, but I found the W211 350 very nervous in handling. It was bouncy on bumps, and the brakes seemed to be way ahead of me - extremely anxious to engage!!! What's with this electronic braking stuff. I want to drive a W211 500 before making up my mind. But of course, I can count on you folks to tell me what the 500 or 550 (if it exists) is like - primarily handling. After my loaner experience, I would not consider the 350 in any variation. Is the 500 more aggressive? How about these electronic issues that MB never seems to be able to resolve? I'm looking at a 06 500 (the 07 front end looks too much like an Acura!!!) and I want to decide soon. My wife, who will be driving the car, has already made up her - a 5 series Bimmer, but I'm trying to convince her they all have similar problems and the Benz really looks nicer (though the Bimmer's maintenance contract is very very attractive and I love to shift!!!).
Your experience comparing 210 to 211 is the same as mine. It's not a handling issue because are both very good. On very curvey roads that combine dips and humps, the 210 just feels a bit more composed. For an average driver like myself under these conditions, the 210 can feel more comfortable to drive at higher speeds.

Regarding your MY 06/07 211 impressions, I'd reconsider if I were you. The brake by wire system is history and 07's come equipped with a normal braking system, YES!!!! Regarding styling, go look at the cars in-the-flesh. The pointy new front end is more CLK-like and not likely to be confused with Acura in my opinion anyway. All of the other touches are quite nice too. The MY07's also have reshuffled option packageing and can represent a better value depending on how they are equipped.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 266 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by vettdvr
...the Chrysler Hemi built on the Mercedes E class chassy [sic]?
No, they're not. The current full-sized Chryslers have a rear suspension derived from the last generation E-class, and share some electronics and I believe the old MB 5-speed automatic...but they are definitely not built on a MB platform.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
That loaner is a "New Car". A "Factory Fresh" car isn't gonna handle any differently. These cars are built like tanks, and short of someone ramming a wall with one & "bending the frame", a person using a loaner will not change its handling charactaristics.

You should do yourself a favor though, and check the Tire pressures when cold. They could be uneven, or overinflated by people who look at a tire & hold the filling station hose on the valve stem 'till the tire "looks right". You'd be amazed!