E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2007 E350 100% MB-Tex only!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harley-Davidson
Here is an interesting post I found in another thread. I'm not sure I believe it, though.
Originally Posted by Mr Papa
The type of weather you get might enter into your decision too... Here in the Arizona Desert Heat, the MBTex stays a bit cooler than the leather seats...
Old 08-22-2006, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
This class of car should come with ventilated seats standard, as does its Japanese (GS, M35/45, RL) and American (STS) competition. Additionally, the leather is MUCH nicer with the ventilated seats.

Now only available on the E500/E63.

Also, with multicontour seats not available, and drive dynamic only available on the E63, don't all the seats have a lumbar adjustment that would seem inadequate in a Hyundai?
Attached Thumbnails 2007 E350 100% MB-Tex only!-mb-lumbar-adjustment.jpg  

Last edited by DavidNJ; 08-22-2006 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:20 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Personally, I would prefer luxury cloth vs. leather. I know leather smells nice and feels good, etc. But cloth is much more pratical in both hot and cold weather, whereas leather behaves just like those old-style vinyl seats, hot as hell in the summer and cold as as metal in the winter. Unfortunately, due to the association of equating leather to luxury image, cloth is almost non-existent in cars over 30K, because the leather is either standard or an option that you have to order in order to have other options!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:24 PM

2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
I didn't know that, but I doubt I could tell the difference. I have a 2006, but I don't think my seat inserts feel or smell like leather. It's an option I wish I purchased.

So if they went all tex on the 07, I have no problem with it.

MB's wear well. In 3 years they still look new. I like that.

RE: venilated seats cuz japs have them. Furget about it. I've had that from Lexus and Infiniti. It's a joke. The cooling feature doesn't work and you lose the hot resistance heat you get in the MB.

The new fancy seat option in the CL is perfect. Venilation and real heat. Why they made it a 1600 USD option on a car whose base is 97K+ is beyond me.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:13 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by edspider
. . . RE: ventilated seats . . . The cooling feature doesn't work and you lose the hot resistance heat you get in the MB. . .
It isn't a cooling feature, it is just an array of small fans that move air through the perforated seats. You do not lose the heating feature with the ventilated seats.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:43 PM

'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
Originally Posted by edspider
I didn't know that, but I doubt I could tell the difference. I have a 2006, but I don't think my seat inserts feel or smell like leather. It's an option I wish I purchased.

So if they went all tex on the 07, I have no problem with it.

MB's wear well. In 3 years they still look new. I like that.

RE: venilated seats cuz japs have them. Furget about it. I've had that from Lexus and Infiniti. It's a joke. The cooling feature doesn't work and you lose the hot resistance heat you get in the MB.

The new fancy seat option in the CL is perfect. Venilation and real heat. Why they made it a 1600 USD option on a car whose base is 97K+ is beyond me.
The seats only come with heaters, on the MB the fans and the heaters can be on at the same time, the leather is much nicer, and the fans work very well. I can't see commuting in suit without them. In fact, not being able to order a ventilated seat would cause me not to buy the car.

BTW, BMW just introduced a 282hp sequential twin turbo 3L diesel.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by mbchris
I think it is very deliberate for MB to have multiple options that are highly priced. This helps the resale numbers. From what I have read in the past, resale values are based on % of base MSRP. So, a highly optioned car will sell for more in the future, and be a higher % of base MSRP a few years back. Hope I'm making sense.

All the luxury car makers do this. How often do you see any high end car with no options?
MbChris..

Before you go out and get your over-optioned benz thinking it is going to help it's resale, you better do your homework on resales......

People put a lt of options in cars because they want them, NOT because they have necessarily any effect on resale

Except for things like CD changers, Navigation, and in some cases integrated phone, MOST of the options listed in new cars aren't even factored in when you are trying to figure the resale value. Full leather seats being one of them..Check NADA, and Kelly...

So if you load your car up with options that add up to 15K over MSRP, you're going to have your feelings hurt if you try to trade or sale it based solely on options.

BTW. the Acura RL comes out the Gate with everything included that we pay for as MB owners.. ( Just to make a point.. ).. So there are some ( higher end ) cars out there that do not include things like heated seats,Navigation, telephone, and leather as an option.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
It funny how folks have developed a perception of M-B. I've owned M-B sedans and SLs since the sixties. The only one I've ever owned with leather is my E430 (although I just picked up a C280 Special Edition with leater recently). With the exception of the very top models, M-Bs always came standard with MB-Tex and it is one of the reasons old M-Bs look good after years in service. M-B was always criticized for the lack of features relative to the price, but the cars with all the stuff didn't last. The philosophy in place now is to move back towards their roots, simpler cars with fewer options and technology that adds value, not trouble.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by vinceC
It funny how folks have developed a perception of M-B. I've owned M-B sedans and SLs since the sixties. The only one I've ever owned with leather is my E430 (although I just picked up a C280 Special Edition with leater recently). With the exception of the very top models, M-Bs always came standard with MB-Tex and it is one of the reasons old M-Bs look good after years in service. M-B was always criticized for the lack of features relative to the price, but the cars with all the stuff didn't last. The philosophy in place now is to move back towards their roots, simpler cars with fewer options and technology that adds value, not trouble.

I'm all for getting these cars back to basics and making sure they have no gimmick-like features, but removing leather? Is that really a good marketing move considering others makers' own market reseach shows buyers prefer leather over vinyl? Also, considering that the average M-B buyer probably buys or leases every few years, why are they co concerned with how my interior looks in 10 years? Also, why did they not remove leather from the S-class, the CLK, the SL, etc.? The way I sum this change up is a cost saver being served up as going to a more durable material.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by DavidNJ
This class of car should come with ...
It's the taxicab of Germany.

Which "class of car" is that?

Oh, BTW, leather is quite available on 2007s. Just check MBUSA.com.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by lkchris
It's the taxicab of Germany.

Which "class of car" is that?

Oh, BTW, leather is quite available on 2007s. Just check MBUSA.com.
It IS available for an additional $1600 and if you trade alot, that is an additional $1600 cost of ownership/loss. The inserts were adequate and included. My beef is not that there isn't sufficient value in the E350, but rather that it appears to be a bone-headed decision and prob. a way to recoup some of the Chrysler losses by taking cost out of M-B cars when they took leather inserts out. Does M-B claim to know something that other mfrs don't know? Are they so arrogant as to think they can force the market to vinyl when it mostly prefers leather?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by my06clk
MbChris..

Before you go out and get your over-optioned benz thinking it is going to help it's resale, you better do your homework on resales......

People put a lt of options in cars because they want them, NOT because they have necessarily any effect on resale

Except for things like CD changers, Navigation, and in some cases integrated phone, MOST of the options listed in new cars aren't even factored in when you are trying to figure the resale value. Full leather seats being one of them..Check NADA, and Kelly...

So if you load your car up with options that add up to 15K over MSRP, you're going to have your feelings hurt if you try to trade or sale it based solely on options.

BTW. the Acura RL comes out the Gate with everything included that we pay for as MB owners.. ( Just to make a point.. ).. So there are some ( higher end ) cars out there that do not include things like heated seats,Navigation, telephone, and leather as an option.
Ditto. Most options add NOTHING to resale. Highest percentage resales would be be on a stripped black E350 with a sunroof. No nav, leather, metallic paint, ventilated seats, etc. And the dealers have a few. Most used buyers a looking for the star on the hood.

This is where Honda/Acura and a few others really help buyers. The options are included or are part of a package that all the cars have. MB, Audi, and BMW rake the buyers over the coals.

If you are buying a car where 15-30% of the MSRP is options, you generally are better off leasing. Most leases, especially from the manufacturers, cover all options at the full residual. More than enough to overcome the disadvantage of expensive financing.

Now, we bought our heavily optioned CDI. However, we expect to keep it 4-5 years and nearly 100k miles. At that point, fuel prices should make the diesel have enough value to overcome the options. Even so, to lease or not to lease was a close call. Leasing also had the advantage of lower cost miles (20¢ vs 35¢ on trade-in) and protection from value loss from an accident (no charge if repaired vs. possibly thousands of dollars).
Old 08-23-2006, 12:51 PM

2014 ML350 4Matic
Leather "inserts" are a relatively new to M-B. Until the late '90's it was MB-Tex or leather, just like the '07's. The "inserts" business is a down market phenomena created for down market cars (for example, the leather option on an '80's Taurus was really just inserts). The problem with inserts is that as the leather wears the vinyl does not, creating an inconsistent look that makes the interior look prematurely shabby. Despite the fact that many buyers trade early, one of the reasons for the strong secondary (used) market M-B had in the past was the durability of the interior. And make no mistake, M-B is in the business of selling used cars as much as they are in the business of selling new ones.

Another factor I keep forgetting is the settlement of a lawsuit brought against M-B by PETA about 2-3 years ago. To get PETA off their back, M-B agreed in an out-of-court settlement to use less leather. The E-Class is a high volume car compared to the CLK, S, SLK. Therefore it makes more sense to make leather a consumer choice on the high volume models. PETA selected M-B as their target because of their image in the marketplace. PETA is headquartered locally so we see plenty of them and their tactics, and they are a truly disgusting organization.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 258 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveATL
It IS available for an additional $1600 and if you trade alot, that is an additional $1600 cost of ownership/loss. The inserts were adequate and included. My beef is not that there isn't sufficient value in the E350, but rather that it appears to be a bone-headed decision and prob. a way to recoup some of the Chrysler losses by taking cost out of M-B cars when they took leather inserts out. Does M-B claim to know something that other mfrs don't know? Are they so arrogant as to think they can force the market to vinyl when it mostly prefers leather?
Leather lovers, buy the option and enjoy your cars. If full leather was standard equipment, it would only raise the price of the cars and force those of us that don't care for leather to pay for it. We're given a choice; we should all be happy. Your choice to "trade alot [sic]" is your choice. You will lose significant value every time regardless of options and/or standard equipment.

And I don't see why you feel the 2006 inserts are "adequate", unless it's a psychological issue that there is leather in the cabin; they are indistinguishable from vinyl.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,420 Likes on 3,147 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by SteveATL
Another question for everyone - How do sheepskin seat covers do in the summer. Where I am, it gets to 100 degrees and while the MB-Tex may be hot, would the sheepskin feel cool in summer or would I burn up in summer with them?
I had MBUSA sheepskin seat covers in the 03 e320 (full leather) and they were very comfortable at all temperatures most especially during summer here in AZ – durable as well. With the CLS ventilated seats were included with the Premium Package. In comparing both I prefer ventilated seats – IMHO they assist the A/C just fine. MBUSA sheepskin covers list @ $259. However, you can do better by contacting https://mbworld.org/forums/members/28130-kybenz.html
Old 08-23-2006, 04:33 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Ditto. Most options add NOTHING to resale. Highest percentage resales would be be on a stripped black E350 with a sunroof. No nav, leather, metallic paint, ventilated seats, etc. And the dealers have a few. Most used buyers a looking for the star on the hood.

This is where Honda/Acura and a few others really help buyers. The options are included or are part of a package that all the cars have. MB, Audi, and BMW rake the buyers over the coals.

If you are buying a car where 15-30% of the MSRP is options, you generally are better off leasing. Most leases, especially from the manufacturers, cover all options at the full residual. More than enough to overcome the disadvantage of expensive financing.

Now, we bought our heavily optioned CDI. However, we expect to keep it 4-5 years and nearly 100k miles. At that point, fuel prices should make the diesel have enough value to overcome the options. Even so, to lease or not to lease was a close call. Leasing also had the advantage of lower cost miles (20¢ vs 35¢ on trade-in) and protection from value loss from an accident (no charge if repaired vs. possibly thousands of dollars).
I fully agree with you about leasing vs. buying, not because I am a Jersey boy also! With the high depreciation and abundance of used cars, you are much better off to lease than to buy. The residual value is usually higher than your trade-in vaule. If you plan to keep the car for a longer time or drive a lot, then it is better to buy. I have never leased before, but with the ridiculous trade-in value these days, my next car will be leased!
Old 08-24-2006, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Good post. One question, you picked up a C280 "Special Edition"? Is that a new version of the C280 for the final model year 2007?

M
Old 08-24-2006, 07:47 AM

2014 ML350 4Matic
Is that a new version of the C280 for the final model year 2007?
No. I should have been more specific. It is a 2000 model - last of the W202 chassis with the black/gray/contrasting stitching leather/sport package/etc. It's our daily driver.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
No. I should have been more specific. It is a 2000 model - last of the W202 chassis with the black/gray/contrasting stitching leather/sport package/etc. It's our daily driver.
Ok, ok got it. Thanks. I remember those, very sharp looking.

M
Old 08-25-2006, 11:17 AM

2006 E350
This may be a dumb question but I am new to being a w211 or any Mercedes owner, but what are Leather Inserts? The car originally had them but I got the Leather upholstery. Are these inserts even visible because the original seats I had had holes on them.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
"Leather inserts" means that instead of the entire seat covering (all visible parts of the seat's upholstery: side panels, backs, etc) being made of leather, the entire seat covering is made of "MB Tex" (Think: vinyl, Naugahyde, plastic, Man Made leather-like fabric) EXCEPT for the panel of fabric that is under your butt & behind your back. THAT section of the seat covering is a segment of real leather "inserted" and stitched into the vinyl seat covering so that to your butt & back you are sitting on real leather not vinyl, because you ARE.

To be fair the MB Tex looks like and closely resembles real leather but wears and breathes like plastic not leather. It is a close copy of the leather insert under your butt, but the majority of the seat is plastic petrochemical, NOT leather. The only real reason for this is because it costs less to upholster a minute portion of the seat covering with real leather, than the whole thing.

To this day people prefer to wear shoes made of real leather rather than "man made uppers" over "man made" soles, no matter how much they may look like real leather.

If real leather seats were no longer available, it wouldn't kill me, yet I do have the "leather" seats in my car.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-25-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:35 AM

Leather Inserts

We are talking about the part of the seat that your bottom and your back rest on, the center sections. For the past few years, they were leather and the rest of the seats were vinyl similar to GM, Ford, etc. on the standard interior, with FULL leather seats being an option. For 2007, the standard interior is ALL vinyl(MB-Tex as M-B calls it), on the standard interior of the E350 with full leather still an option.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:48 PM

2006 E320 CDI, 2001 C240, 1973 Ford Bronco
SteveATL,

Your indignance seems misplaced. It is not Mercedes-Benz's responsibility to describe to you how the current model year differs from the last model year. They need only publish the current specification. Understand what you value, read the specification, and make a purchase decision. If you don't care for what they offer, move to a different brand.

All auto companies change their standard equipment specifications and options lists all the time. Sorry you were surprised, but MB did not pull a fast one on you.

By the way, I have the leather inserts on my C-class and they are simply inferior to the full leather on my E. Leather inserts do not a leather interior make. Actually, I would say that in eliminating the inserts, MB has "come clean" and dispensed with the illusion that the leather inserts equates to something good.