Mercedes Emblem Stolen!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 4Matic
Mercedes Emblem Stolen!

So yesterday (Sunday) I was at church and came back to my car in astonishment as my front tri-star MB emblem had been tampered with. It was totally bent forwards. Enfuriated I drove home and successfully bent it back to its original position. Didn't take notice of the rear emblem until this morning thinking to myself "if someone tampered with the front I should really check the rear" and to my rage found nothing but 3 holes.

I guess the turd stole the rear then went for the front, tried and failed! Of all the places to find thieves - @ church!!

Are there any ways to fix this growing problem of emblems being stolen everywhere besides bandaid solutions? I know most people just buy the flat hood emblem, but I really like the look of the stand-up tri-star emblem. I really don't want to buy more emblems only to have them stolen again!

Would any kind of superglue adhesive work without damaging paint or making it look crusty?

Last edited by 500Benz; 08-28-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:21 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Sorry to hear that you got ripped off (literally) but I don't know that it's a growing problem. The Golden Age of Tristar theft was the '80s, I thought, when the Tristar was considered fly jewelry in some urban circles. Don't have an answer to your question, though, except to note that it's probably better to have a trunk emblem that can be removed fairly easily than it is to have one bolted down so well that the thieves mess up your trunk lid trying to pry it off. The trunk lid is aluminum. Looks like your hood emblem did a pretty good job of resisting theft, so I don't know how M-B could improve on its performance in that respect.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 E500 4Matic
Originally Posted by DWP
Sorry to hear that you got ripped off (literally) but I don't know that it's a growing problem. The Golden Age of Tristar theft was the '80s, I thought, when the Tristar was considered fly jewelry in some urban circles. The trunk lid is aluminum. Looks like your hood emblem did a pretty good job of resisting theft, so I don't know how M-B could improve on its performance in that respect.

That's true its probably not a growing problem. But I don't think its diminished any, I still hear it happening all the time from relatives and friends that own MB's - all of whom have their emblems stolen atleast once or twice.

Originally Posted by DWP
Don't have an answer to your question, though, except to note that it's probably better to have a trunk emblem that can be removed fairly easily than it is to have one bolted down so well that the thieves mess up your trunk lid trying to pry it off.
Good point, didn't think about it that way.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally Posted by DWP
Sorry to hear that you got ripped off (literally) but I don't know that it's a growing problem. The Golden Age of Tristar theft was the '80s, I thought, when the Tristar was considered fly jewelry in some urban circles.
I agree the tristar theft phenomenon was big in the '80s-early '90s in the states, but in reading the UK forums, it appears to be a current problem overseas. Maybe in Canada as well.

I agree it's better to have an emblem that can simply be taken rather than bolt it down to guarantee more extensive damage. Might want to look into the various flat badges available. We're finally starting to see a couple top quality alternatives to the cheap plastic SLK badge. There is a thread in this forum about one of them.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...89#post1551889

Here's a look at my "White Star Flat Badge" from Rob (DFWdude)...
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes Emblem Stolen!-thenewbadge-d.jpg  
Old 08-28-2006, 12:00 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
How can I send an electrical charge into my star?

Jk..
Old 08-28-2006, 12:04 PM

'07 s550 4matic
Originally Posted by ATS

Jk..

I'd like a hood ornament with razor sharp edges.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:26 PM

09 E63 ///AMG
Sorry to hear about your vandalism. A good number of years ago (1990's) I had a number of hood stars stolen from a couple of my previous Benz’s. One theft happened locally and I had 2 stolen from out of town motel parking lots. Frustrated, I finally bought quick removable hood stars that were sold by MB dealers at the time. I don’t know if they are still available or not. Might be worth checking into though, just don’t forget to remove it when you park the car outside of your garage. I wish I could of caught the s-o-b’s that stole them, but I’d probably be in the big house now.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:35 PM

2006 E350
Sorry to hear about that. Those thieves should be . That is one reason why I went to the flat hood badge. I don't want for the tri-star MB emblem stolen and my hood ruined. And the other reason is the flat hood badge looks cleaner looking....I am referring only to the flat hood badge made by Rob. You guys should check out his work...it is awesome. Excellent quality work.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E500 4Matic
Talking

Thanks for the replies all!

Originally Posted by ATS

Jk..

Excellent Idea!

Originally Posted by MB-BOB
I agree it's better to have an emblem that can simply be taken rather than bolt it down to guarantee more extensive damage. Might want to look into the various flat badges available. We're finally starting to see a couple top quality alternatives to the cheap plastic SLK badge. There is a thread in this forum about one of them.
Thanks for the suggestion! Some of those emblems are quite nice!

Originally Posted by klenbore
Sorry to hear about your vandalism. A good number of years ago (1990's) I had a number of hood stars stolen from a couple of my previous Benz’s. One theft happened locally and I had 2 stolen from out of town motel parking lots. Frustrated, I finally bought quick removable hood stars that were sold by MB dealers at the time. I don’t know if they are still available or not. Might be worth checking into though, just don’t forget to remove it when you park the car outside of your garage. I wish I could of caught the s-o-b’s that stole them, but I’d probably be in the big house now.
Wow. Sorry to hear about your losses. I just went out just now and replaced the rear emblem for $12 CAD, luckily its not as expensive as I thought. That's quite a good idea though, I should've asked if they had some easily removable badges - I'll probably do that the next time around as I'm sure there are more thieves out there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by rodE350
Sorry to hear about that. Those thieves should be .
I whole heartedly agree!!
Old 08-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E500 4Matic
re: Front Emblem

One more thing, after bending the front emblem back into its original position, I'm still in doubt as I think it may be inverted.

Before the front emblem was tampered with, I did recall that the it had some wiggle room but don't remember if it was supposed to be able to wiggle backwards or forwards.

Can anyone with a tri-star emblem confirm for me and tell me whether yours bends forwards or backwards?

I may need to twist it again hope it doesn't break! =(

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2006, 04:32 PM

2006 E350
Originally Posted by 500Benz
One more thing, after bending the front emblem back into its original position, I'm still in doubt as I think it may be inverted.

Before the front emblem was tampered with, I did recall that the it had some wiggle room but don't remember if it was supposed to be able to wiggle backwards or forwards.

Can anyone with a tri-star emblem confirm for me and tell me whether yours bends forwards or backwards?

I may need to twist it again hope it doesn't break! =(

Thanks!
I believe it bends forward.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
It is mounted in a spring ballasted ball socket. It can be rotated in almost any direction, so as not to impale a pedestrian that you hit & flip.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,115 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Correct. It bends forward most readily.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:22 PM
bsk

E 350 2006- Iridium Silver with charcoal interior,premium package
Originally Posted by ATS

Jk..
i second that!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E500 4Matic
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
It is mounted in a spring ballasted ball socket. It can be rotated in almost any direction, so as not to impale a pedestrian that you hit & flip.
Correct. It bends forward most readily.
Thanks for the info guys!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:09 AM

mercedes 190
detachable mercedes hood emblem

I just bought this on TheFind ... have you watched the youtube videos? looks great!!

Old 04-09-2013, 05:36 AM

mercedes 190
By the way, the page is this: www.libelleq.com