E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Confidence.....I think not!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
Confidence.....I think not!

OK, so I take the car into the local dealer and ask them to look at my satellite system since I keep haveing the problem described here:

Originally Posted by konigstiger
P-B-82.85/444 APR05 Satellite Radio Improper Operation, model 211 2004 or later.

“Acquiring Signal” is displayed for the entire ignition cycle after starting the vehicle and/or bleed through of satellite radio audio into your phone call while using the in vehicle hands free phone system.

SDARS control unit, if part # is A220 820 17 97 Q05 or lower replace. If higher contact the Enhanced Diagnostic Assistance Center (EDAC). Satellite Radio Control Unit (USA) Part # B6 783 0085. This DTB may have been revised since APR05 nevertheless reference it as your starting point.?
I show the service advisor a print of the above and he brings out the tech that supposedly knows this stuff. The first thing out of his mouth when he sees my car is 'Why is that one there?' -and points to the satellite puck on the roof!! He then goes on to 'It is supposed to mounted on the trunk'. I am stunned and the only thing I can say is 'Well, it is mounted like that by MB'. He looks at it again and goes 'Hmmm...'

And this is the guy that will be takeing care of my baby!!

Anyway, the service rep and the tech agrees to order the part and set up an appointment for next week. We'll see what happens.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by sgaar
. . . and he brings out the tech that supposedly knows this stuff. The first thing out of his mouth when he sees my car is 'Why is that one there?' -and points to the satellite puck on the roof!! He then goes on to 'It is supposed to (be) mounted on the trunk'. I am stunned and the only thing I can say is 'Well, it is mounted like that by MB'. He looks at it again and goes 'Hmmm...'
I wondered the same thing when I saw the picture you posted of the puck on the roof. I assumed you had added it yourself, or had it done by an independent shop. Did the VPC install it or was it done at the dealership? In either case, it should be up to M-B to repair it under warranty.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:38 PM

2004 E320, 2006 Infiniti G35X, Yamaha VMAX 700 (Snowmobile)
Don't bank on this fixing the problem, I had them do the SB a few weeks back an my car stil has the problem. At this point I am back to FM and just don't have the time for the car to be in the shop. In all honesty, SAT radio IMO is just not ready for primetime yet and the MB unit has to be the most outdated one out there. Get a portable and take advantage of the AUX port.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by cyclerider
I wondered the same thing when I saw the picture you posted of the puck on the roof. I assumed you had added it yourself, or had it done by an independent shop. Did the VPC install it or was it done at the dealership? In either case, it should be up to M-B to repair it under warranty.
If you look around you'll see that there are plenty of newer E classes with the puck on the roof. There is on for sale on eBay here: MB 4 Sale and that is only one example. That's why I was so suprised that the tech would not know where it is mounted on newer models.

Originally Posted by jocon63
Don't bank on this fixing the problem, I had them do the SB a few weeks back an my car stil has the problem. At this point I am back to FM and just don't have the time for the car to be in the shop. In all honesty, SAT radio IMO is just not ready for primetime yet and the MB unit has to be the most outdated one out there. Get a portable and take advantage of the AUX port.
While the drivability and overall technical design is superiour on MB's I must admit that I am somewhat disappointed on the electronics side. I had a Linc Navigator before I got the E500 and even with Ford/Lincoln being where they are the electronics was better. And now that we are talking about satellite the one I had (also Sirius) was much more stable and when the MB one looses signal the Navi would keep on going. Something as simple as having a couple of trees hanging over the road is enough for my MB satellite to loose signal. When I mentioned that to the tech he blew me off by saying that ‘it is a completely different system’ While that might be true the signal that it receives is no different than what I was receiveing in the Linc.

I am not sure that I agree with you when you say that satellite is not ready for prime time. I think it is more MB implementation that is not ready.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I am not sure that I agree with you when you say that satellite is not ready for prime time. I think it is more MB implementation that is not ready.
Amen Brother! I'm surprised MB didn't come up with some kind of pneumatic or vacuum operated Satellite system for the car, since that's what they seem to do best. Plumbing & vacuum lines not electronics. (Oops... anyone ever hear that high pitched beep from the rear seat area? I understand thats a kinked vacuum line somewhere.)

Also I don't know if the color matched small satellite antenna in the pic you specify should rightly be refered to as a puck. Its a very modern, typical Satellite Antenna. The one on my car (& the one other guys had their dealers hide under the rear package shelf instead of on the trunk lid like mine, is the one we refer to as a puck. (Its flat black and the size of a Microsoft Mouse, and LOOKS like a Hockey Puck) I accepted it because thats all they had in March '04, but, one look at it and you had to know MB has no clue when it comes to electronics. My Satellite radio works, but does suffer from more drop outs than any of my friends factory XM or Sirius Radios. even with my puck on the trunk. I've also nioticed that my Son's Honda Accord Coupe recovers from a seldom heard dropout & resumes play faster than my Sirius, AND it seems to have a longer buffer before it will drop out to boot.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 09-04-2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Barry, I wouldn't trust MB's pneumatic's either, with SBC and all. With all of the problems I had with the COMAND in my E, I was ready to wire a switch to cut power to fuse 6, since I had to pull it so often.

On the ML, they have integrated the antennas under a fiberglass shield on the top of the rear liftgate. Since this is my first foray in to Sat radio, I thought it was normal that it would drop out so often, and always wondered why they didn't have more of a buffer built in. I have a few bridges I pass under that I already know I will lose signal, even if I'm only under the bridge for 1-2 seconds.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Choosing the amount of buffer is a tricky thing for the software engineers. Too big a buffer and yes, it will play longer when the signal is blocked, but it will also take longer to "download", buffer and begin to play each time you change the station. Waiting at that time can seem to be a long time if the buffer is too big...

But I have the damn intermittant "Acquiring Signal/No Signal" display when I start the car... even though the satellite radio IS playing.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
My PUCK is on the roof.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:27 PM

2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
My 06 E350 puck came mounted on the roof and color matched (pewter). My SAT works great. I had XM before, but like Sirius better.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E500
My satellite antenna/puck is also mounted on the roof. And the drop-out does seem unusually high (for what I expect - though I don't have any previous experience with other systems for reference).
Old 09-05-2006, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
All W211s post 6/05 build have the "puck" on the roof unless u have pano roof. 07 has a fin antenna now.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
The worst one I have seen was an internal antenna install I did on a 220. It was terrible. I mounted it on the roof.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:55 PM

So I had the car in to get the satellite SDARS unit replaced. I was told that this might not fix the problem but I must say that it is a completly different experience using the satellite now after the fix. It is much more stable and doesn't drop as often as it did prior to the unit being replaced. Now I can actually go under a bridge and not have the radio drop...

I don't know if there is a newer rev of the unit from when others had it replaced but it is working in my car. If others still have the same problem it might be worth going back to the dealer and have them have another go at it.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
sgaar....where is the the PN ,you reference in your OP, located please ?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by starbrite
The SDARS control module is located behind the right side trunk trim panel. The currently installed SDARS part number can be obtained through STAR Diagnosis, if this is what you’re asking?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by starbrite
Are you talking about the SDARS unit itself? If so then it is located in the trunk. Standing behind the car looking into the trunk it is located behind the right side liner. To get to it you will have to take the side liner out and unskrew a bracket and then you can get the unit out.

Details are here. This is on how to retrofit satellite but it also shows you how to get to the SDARS unit.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
So I had the car in to get the satellite SDARS unit replaced. I was told that this might not fix the problem but I must say that it is a completely different experience using the satellite now after the fix. It is much more stable and doesn't drop as often as it did prior to the unit being replaced. Now I can actually go under a bridge and not have the radio drop...
I just love a story with a happy ending!

Folks generally come onto a forum to moan\complain and at times they have every right to do so. I just find it sad that when good experiences are documented the 'moaning brigade' don't accept that possibly not ALL experiences are similar to their own? Not all experiences are bad? In my opinion there are good dealers, there are bad dealers, likewise there are good customers and bad. There are those that can communicate their grievances in a way that earns respect, and there are those that might not excel in this area? I am NOT pointing a finger here. I am merely suggesting that not ALL 211's are defective, and not ALL 211's have ongoing problems.

The mirror sometimes holds the answer!

Regards,
John

Still dark here in Torquay
Old 10-02-2006, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by konigstiger
The SDARS control module is located behind the right side trunk trim panel. The currently installed SDARS part number can be obtained through STAR Diagnosis, if this is what you’re asking?
Yes, thank you.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
My Satellite Receiver was changed last week. I still have the "Searching For Signal" display on startup as often as before... and to repeat: The "Searching For Signal" on the COMAND display while the Sat stream IS PLAYING is NOT a problem with Sirius... its a problem with the receiver getting hung up on an improper display being sent to the COMAND screen. The DIC display will display the channel number while this erroneous display is on the COMAND screen. Thats how you know the COMAND display is erroneous... the music is playing and the DIC has the proper display. The COMAND screen is wrong.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 10-02-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Guys... for those of you who have experienced XM and Sirius... in all aspects both FACTORY and AFTERMARKET... you will discover a couple things...

XM vs Sirius
XM is better signal wise
Sirius drops a lot.

I worked in the car audio field as a sales person and installer for 3+ years. MECP certified as well. Anyways, Sirius relies heavily on a very large network of terrestial repeaters( a network of ground relays to ensure you always have signal). Its not very good. Ive done more satelite radio installs then I care to count and many times sirius came back with shady signal.

While I dont want to take ALL the blame away from mercedes, it can only have as good of service as its provider can give.