2006 MB E-class "sport" question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
2006 MB E-class "sport" question

Did MB make a 2006 E-class (E350 or E500) with some type of sport package (AMG or otherwise) and dual exhaust and 4-Matic?
Old 09-10-2006, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cee Fiddy Five
Can't say I've ever seen one...
Old 09-11-2006, 12:12 AM

2004 E55
Yes...the 333 Sport Package is available for the 4matic. I have the sport package but not the 4matic. The only dif in the sport package for the 4matic is the wheels are not staggered 18's. Instead of 265 in the rear and 245 in the front, you get 245's all the way around. Otherwise has all the same elements of the 333 sport pkg.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by CJ_E350
Yes...the 333 Sport Package is available for the 4matic. I have the sport package but not the 4matic. The only dif in the sport package for the 4matic is the wheels are not staggered 18's. Instead of 265 in the rear and 245 in the front, you get 245's all the way around. Otherwise has all the same elements of the 333 sport pkg.
What is your experience with the SBC brakes? That might be one reason I would look for an E550 (other than engine HP/TQ bump and supposed quality improvement).

I might be interested in an '06 4-Matic + Sport Package, loaded except Pano roof, if anyone has one for sale. (I searched E-bay and MB certified pre-owned for '05-'06).

Last edited by noka; 09-18-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by noka
What is your experience with the SBC brakes?
I'd like to break in here to give my 2 cents worth about the SBC braking system. I have a 2004 E320 which I use almost entirely as a vacation car. I just completed a 2,000 mile trip to California and earlier in the year drove 4,000 miles up into Canada. I've also driven the car on a 5,000 mile trip to Minnesota.

When I first got the car I wasn't happy with the way the brakes operated but after a brake fluid flush things improved considerably. Before the California trip I had the 2 year brake fluid change done and now the brakes operate perfectly.

I've always had SBC changes done as soon as I knew about them. Consequently, I haven't had a bit of trouble with the brakes. In fact, these brakes are fantastic. I've had to take advantage of them on many occasions and I'm glad I have them.

There have been some incidents reported here and in almost every case there was an explanation for it. I can understand how anyone having a problem would be concerned but I also think that if they had gone to the trouble to find out why the brake incident occurred, they would understand that these incidents occurred more often because of some ancillary problem rather than because of an inherent design flaw in SBC.

Early on I went to the trouble to understand how the SBC system worked and also to try to find an explanation for reported incidents. Consequently, I would not sell my car because of the brakes but rather might want to keep it for that reason. These are terrific brakes but they need to be maintained by people who have the skills, tools and commitment to do it right.

I would not make your decision based on SBC but rather on things like the new V8 and improved handling or on the other hand, if you keep a car for a long time, there are some really great deals to be had on 2006's because of the cash to dealers MBUSA is currently offering ($7K on an E500 for instance).

BTW, I'm convinced that SBC is being dropped by Daimler-Chrysler because of cost issues and not because the system is flawed.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by BudC
I'd like to break in here to give my 2 cents worth about the SBC braking system. I have a 2004 E320 which I use almost entirely as a vacation car. I just completed a 2,000 mile trip to California and earlier in the year drove 4,000 miles up into Canada. I've also driven the car on a 5,000 mile trip to Minnesota.

When I first got the car I wasn't happy with the way the brakes operated but after a brake fluid flush things improved considerably. Before the California trip I had the 2 year brake fluid change done and now the brakes operate perfectly.

I've always had SBC changes done as soon as I knew about them. Consequently, I haven't had a bit of trouble with the brakes. In fact, these brakes are fantastic. I've had to take advantage of them on many occasions and I'm glad I have them.

There have been some incidents reported here and in almost every case there was an explanation for it. I can understand how anyone having a problem would be concerned but I also think that if they had gone to the trouble to find out why the brake incident occurred, they would understand that these incidents occurred more often because of some ancillary problem rather than because of an inherent design flaw in SBC.

Early on I went to the trouble to understand how the SBC system worked and also to try to find an explanation for reported incidents. Consequently, I would not sell my car because of the brakes but rather might want to keep it for that reason. These are terrific brakes but they need to be maintained by people who have the skills, tools and commitment to do it right.

I would not make your decision based on SBC but rather on things like the new V8 and improved handling or on the other hand, if you keep a car for a long time, there are some really great deals to be had on 2006's because of the cash to dealers MBUSA is currently offering ($7K on an E500 for instance).

BTW, I'm convinced that SBC is being dropped by Daimler-Chrysler because of cost issues and not because the system is flawed.
Thanks for your input. I have never driven an E with SBC and don't know enough about it to have an opinion. I would be interested in looking at an '06but to find one optioned the way I want might be impossible at this time ... especially because MB dealer websites (unlike other brands) will not let you browse "new" inventory! How dumb is that? I can only see certified pre-owned. If it is me that is dumb, please correct me. So I have no real way to search for an '06 that I want. However, I am interested in some options that I think the '06 has that were dropped for '07, like the message option in the seats (dynamic I guess they call it). Also, the AMG sport option would be nice (since I came from a C55).

Rgds,
Norm
Old 09-18-2006, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
I would be interested in looking at an '06but to find one optioned the way I want might be impossible at this time ... especially because MB dealer websites (unlike other brands) will not let you browse "new" inventory! How dumb is that? I can only see certified pre-owned.
Rgds,
Norm
I agree with you 100%. I love it when I can go to the website of North Scottsdale BMW and see how many 2006's they have left and how fast they are('nt) selling.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:24 PM

Harley-Davidson
. . . I am interested in some options that I think the '06 has that were dropped for '07, like the massage option in the seats (dynamic I guess they call it). . .
Drive Dynamic seats were available in '05 and were dropped for '06, I believe.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
I think still available in the 55 in 06... Noka, you could go to your local dealer and have a sales guy look up Netstar... as easy as that, if there are any locally you could try and go look at them

worth a shot
Old 09-21-2006, 09:30 AM

07 ML320CDI, 05 E350 4Matic
Sport-package

Hi all.

In Europe the sport package is option #952 and it includes:
- Sport seats, black Artico-synthetic leather
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Adjustable powersteering
- steering-wheel controls for gears(automatic transmissions)
- Lowered Sport Suspension (not in 4Matic)
- 18" wheels: front 8,5Jx18, 245/40R18; back 9Jx18, 265/35R18;
4Matic: 8,5Jx18, 245/40R18
- Bigger brakes (as in E 500),(not in 4Matic)
- "sport" side skirts
- dual exhaust
- etc minor stuff..