E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

'07 E350 4Matic - Ski Trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 4Matic
'07 E350 4Matic - Ski Trip

I recently picked up my '07 E350 4Matic and am curious how it would perform on a ski trip to the Rocky Mountains this winter. My '05 Explorer 4x4 always makes the trip fine but I am sure that the 6 hour drive to the mountains would be much more pleasant in the E350, if it performs capably in the deep, Summitt county snow.

Does anyone have any experiences driving a 4Matic in mountainous, wintry conditions?

J-Hawk
Old 09-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Although this thread dates back to 04 (e320 4matic) I thought you find it interesting and, at the same time, some of your questions may be answered. Too bad the links no longer work I remember Steve doing a number of stunts in heavy snow.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/90077-reason-i-bought-4-matic.html
Old 09-19-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 4Matic
Well, after viewing the above thread it seems that the 4Matic will do a fine job in CO Mountain country during the winter season. I'll give it a shot and post the results here upon my return.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I will try to post new links for the short clips.

I took my 4-Matic on a trip this summer where I ended up driving on dirt roads that were full of mud. I was at about 9,000 feet up in the Northern New Mexico Rockies when I almost got stuck in two spots due to low ground clearance, but the car still managed to pull itself out both times in spite of the half-worn summer continental tires.

The ironic part of all this is that I had to pull my friend out of the mud with my car! His 2wd Explorer sank all the way to the differential. Everyone on the hiking trek was constantly making fun of the poor guy who's SUV had to be pulled out by a Mercedes sedan. (I actually used the towing hook that you screw on to the rear bumper).

Another interesting feature about Mercedes vehicles is that the ABS does not get fooled by loose surface. I was just driving a Chevy 2500 Crew Cab on the same road this past Sunday. Every time I was on loose gravel or rocks, the ABS malfunction warning would come on. Apparently, a lot of cars have this problem on that road, but my E never had any error codes.

O and I almost forgot. On the drive home this Sunday I ended up averaging about 29.4 MPGs while still averaging about 70 MPH. I was not even paying attention to the trip computer or driving in an economical way, I was surprised when I scrolled the MFD's screen to the trip computer and saw the average at about 32 MPGs and then finally droped after about 300 miles to 29 and change. I really can't complain.

Can't wait for the snow to come!

Steve
Old 09-19-2006, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
interestin story, thats funny u towed an suv lol
Old 09-20-2006, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by SAguirre
I will try to post new links for the short clips.

I took my 4-Matic on a trip this summer where I ended up driving on dirt roads that were full of mud. I was at about 9,000 feet up in the Northern New Mexico Rockies when I almost got stuck in two spots due to low ground clearance, but the car still managed to pull itself out both times in spite of the half-worn summer continental tires.

The ironic part of all this is that I had to pull my friend out of the mud with my car! His 2wd Explorer sank all the way to the differential. Everyone on the hiking trek was constantly making fun of the poor guy who's SUV had to be pulled out by a Mercedes sedan. (I actually used the towing hook that you screw on to the rear bumper).

Another interesting feature about Mercedes vehicles is that the ABS does not get fooled by loose surface. I was just driving a Chevy 2500 Crew Cab on the same road this past Sunday. Every time I was on loose gravel or rocks, the ABS malfunction warning would come on. Apparently, a lot of cars have this problem on that road, but my E never had any error codes.

O and I almost forgot. On the drive home this Sunday I ended up averaging about 29.4 MPGs while still averaging about 70 MPH. I was not even paying attention to the trip computer or driving in an economical way, I was surprised when I scrolled the MFD's screen to the trip computer and saw the average at about 32 MPGs and then finally droped after about 300 miles to 29 and change. I really can't complain.

Can't wait for the snow to come!

Steve

nice! that's gotta be a site to see a MB sedan pulling a SUV that's stuck.

curious, how do you like 4Matic vs Quattro. I've driven a C280 4Matic but in the summer (loaner) so didn't really get to test it out in snow/inclimate weather conditions.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
[QUOTE=GDawgC220;1762162]curious, how do you like 4Matic vs Quattro.QUOTE]

People always ask me why I have two sedans, now that the Porsche is gone. They seem to think that both of the cars are the same or similar. Then I tell them that the Audi and the Benz are similar in looks, but they are truly totally different cars. The Audi is a 5-speed and has little low end torque, but then is truly a monster that gave my Porsche a run for the money. The Benz is a comfortable cruiser that gets out of its own way quite well.

The bottom line is that I like the 4-Matic system better than the Audi's. The Audi's system is 10 years old and was stellar for its day, not to mention that it is 100% reliable, durable and strong. However, the center differential allows more slippage before the transfer of power starts. Also, I still have to manually lock the rear differential. I don't really like driving with locked differentials, even if the roads are slippery. The Benz has a lightning-fast traction system that catches wheel slippage well before you feel it. Being able to still have open differentials on turns, and have the computer still stop wheel spin if one wheel looses grip on a turn, is absolutely fantastic.

My Audi is still a great car, but it is old technology. Even with comparable winter tires on both cars, the Benz does better in both acceleration and braking when traction is poor. I have to add that the SBC really shines when you are driving on ice and snow!

Steve