E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Water Spotting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E350, E550s on it's way!
Water Spotting on Trim

After having my vehicle, which is in repair at the moment, go through a Bob's Car Wash out here in Northern CA I noticed there was this water spotting occuring on the black plastic pieces (trim) along the windows on the exterior. Time and Time again I've washed the car myself and it won't go away but seems to be getting more noticable to my eye. Anyone ever had this water spotting type of effect on there exterior black trim and know how to get rid of it?

Below is the area I speak of:

Thanx much

Last edited by AkMadness; 10-30-2006 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Title Error
Old 10-30-2006, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
All the time. And the black metal trim sometimes has a purpleish glaze look to it. Wax it with any cream liquid wax in a bottle. All will be well on any of the black trim by the windows.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 10-30-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Yup.... Wax takes it right off.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:40 PM

Thank you very much, I'll remember that when I get it back from repair! That water look was just annoying me more and more.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:30 AM

2003 E500
Wax will not "remove" the spots, but will "hide" them for a period of time. To remove them, you will first need a dedicated paint cleaner (not polish) such as Adam's Polishes Revive, Poorboy's Professional Polish, or Meguiar's DACP. There are a host of them out there (use the same for your paint prior to waxing as well). After that, your wax will not only look better, it will last longer.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:57 AM

2005 E-500
Question Car Wash?

The question was not asked, but should we trust our MB's to a car wash? I assume that Bob's is brushless, but even so I have never used a car wash due to the potential for damage to the paint and other hazards if the unit is not well maintained.

Granted, I am retired so I have the time to hand wash. Do many owners expose their babys to these risks?

Cold and overcast in San Francisco
Old 10-31-2006, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I wash mine 1 to 2 times weekly at the local "Brushless" car wash. (It uses strips of cloth that rotate, not "brushes", but its the same thing to me) Other than having to straighten the star after it comes out and is wiped down, the car still looks great after 3 years. No swirls/brush marks, etc. Its good enough for me (& I'm a little crazy-meticulous) & looks 100 times better than all the Brilliant Silver & Black (probably never been washed) Lease Returns I see at the dealership.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by larryssf
The question was not asked, but should we trust our MB's to a car wash? :
I don't know about other regions, but here on L.I., car washs are required to "recyle" their water which is enough ( unknown effects) to keep me doing it myself.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by larryssf
The question was not asked, but should we trust our MB's to a car wash? I assume that Bob's is brushless, but even so I have never used a car wash due to the potential for damage to the paint and other hazards if the unit is not well maintained.

Granted, I am retired so I have the time to hand wash. Do many owners expose their babys to these risks?

Cold and overcast in San Francisco

Well I had a business meeting to attend only 30 mins from then so I needed the car to look presentable. And since were family friends with the owner and I've known him since growing up I trust my car with his company, in the past if there was ever a mess up he takes care of it.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:24 PM

2005 E320
WANT TO GET RID OF WATER SPOTS FOR GOOD!???
(especialll for those of you who have pano roof like me)

IT REALLY WORKS... forget about any fancy wax or polish.

Use ordinary/origional liquid dawn (blue bottle) . U can prob find it on sale for $3

WARNING: washing the paint on the car with liquid dawn is not harmful to the paint so long at it is only done 1-2 times a year. HOWEVER, it will remove all wax and paint. so either just wash and rinse the desired spot or the whole car only once and be prepared to reapply polish/wax.

FYI... Once a year I wash the whole car w/ dawn. It stripps off all unwanted particles, water spots. I then claybar and wax.

Think about it... it's designed to cut through greese on pots and pans.

BTW: got the tip from zaino bros (best wax I've ever used)

from their site... "I would definitely recommend you remove the wax buildup on your paint. Just use Liquid Dawn (hand dishwashing liquid) as a car wash. It has a high alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone oils, etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky clean and wax free. I don't advise making a habit of washing your car with Dawn. But for this scenario it's fine. High alkaline products like Dawn are tough on polishes. It will never harm the paint finish though."
Old 11-11-2006, 01:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
I gave up on the car wash hype a long time ago. After becoming friends with a professional detailer that had also spent many years working in a body shop, I learned how to make paint look good.

It's all about the prep work. Wash the car, clay it, only polish if you have excessive swirls/scratches, and stay on top of the wax. You don't have to use high dollar wax to make your paint pop.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Brushless Car Wash

I absolutely never, never take my car into a car wash that advertises," brushless", yet has those felt like strips. It is like using wet sandpaper. In the dead of winter I sometimes find a true brushless car wash that uses just water pressure. When the car comes out, I sometimes spend 5 minutes cleaning it up. It's not a really good car wash, but it doesn't harm the car at all.