E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Transmission or SBC problem? what the heck!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Transmission or SBC problem? what the heck!?

Ok this is making me mad. 2003 E320. 43k miles on the clock. I drive through a parking lot with my foot off the gas. Give it a tiny bit of gas and it jerks like it's stuck in first gear. It's doing the equivalent of a guy not knowing how to drive a stick, you know, the jerky back and forth motion. Is this linked to the SBC? Or is it a tranny issue? My dealers are weak and keep telling me that all the stuff is good and up to date. I call bs, there is something wrong here. How to fix it?

Mark, you told me about some Valve or something to replace with an updated part. I mentioned it to my dealers but they say they can't do anything that isnt listed in their bulletins or that isn't diagnosticable (ie, it doesnt do it with them- so they cant fix something that isnt wrong) or that it doesn't apply to that particular series of cars. WTF

Somebody help me. I need a bulletin or something to show them that they're dumb and that there is a known issue.

thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
you mean valve body? That probably doesnt apply to a 2003 W211 because it doesnt have the 7spd trans. The dealer still should be able to fix the problem... i say try a different one.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
I got two dealers. One 15 min away, one 1 hr away. After that we're pushing about 2 hours away... sonofa*****
Old 11-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by The Godfather
2003 E320. 43k miles on the clock. I drive through a parking lot with my foot off the gas. Give it a tiny bit of gas and it jerks like it's stuck in first gear. I need a bulletin or something
Have your dealer reconfirm the most recent Engine Control Unit (ECU) software is installed in addition to mentioning the following DTBs:

P-B-27.60/43b MAR06 Torque Converter Clutch rough engagement and/or droning/buzzing. May be caused by a lack of / or inadequate adaptation.

P-B-27.55/50f MAR06 Harsh engagement possibly followed by droning/buzzing noises during acceleration (1200 – 2500 rpm). This may be caused incomplete adaptation of the torque converter, the transmission EGS ECU software, or glycol contamination of the automatic transmission fluid.

P-B-27.00/47d MAY06 Leaking oil in the area of the Electric Connection, replace the plug adapter/electrical connector. Associated Service Campaign 2006020008 applies if your vehicle is within VIN range.

P-B-27.20/78 AUG06 Vehicle jolt at constant speeds or during gentle acceleration when torque converter clutch is applied. After confirming that the concern is no longer reproducible with the torque converter clutch deactivated and it is verified that glycol is not present in the transmission oil, flush the transmission oil.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Have your dealer reconfirm the most recent Engine Control Unit (ECU) software is installed in addition to mentioning the following DTBs:

P-B-27.60/43b MAR06 Torque Converter Clutch rough engagement and/or droning/buzzing. May be caused by a lack of / or inadequate adaptation.

P-B-27.55/50f MAR06 Harsh engagement possibly followed by droning/buzzing noises during acceleration (1200 – 2500 rpm). This may be caused incomplete adaptation of the torque converter, the transmission EGS ECU software, or glycol contamination of the automatic transmission fluid.

P-B-27.00/47d MAY06 Leaking oil in the area of the Electric Connection, replace the plug adapter/electrical connector. Associated Service Campaign 2006020008 applies if your vehicle is within VIN range.

P-B-27.20/78 AUG06 Vehicle jolt at constant speeds or during gentle acceleration when torque converter clutch is applied. After confirming that the concern is no longer reproducible with the torque converter clutch deactivated and it is verified that glycol is not present in the transmission oil, flush the transmission oil.
Thanks.

My dad tells me that sometimes when he applies the brakes it jolts forward too, again at low speed.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
mike can you recreate the problem on command? tell the tech to get in the car with you and recreate it
Old 11-30-2006, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
mike can you recreate the problem on command? tell the tech to get in the car with you and recreate it
unfortunately not.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow speed problem

I too have recently experienced the problem described - but it rarely happens. I have an '03 E320 with 37K miles. I spoke to dealer about it and the service advisor knew exactly what I was trying to describe. He didn't say what needed to be fixed, but asked me to bring the car in for service, which I'll do at the next Service interval. Interesting to know what causes it.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:20 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
Thanks.

My dad tells me that sometimes when he applies the brakes it jolts forward too, again at low speed.
how bad is the jolt? subtle or abrupt as if you need apply more braking to stop it from lunging forward.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Try driving at a steady 9mph. That should do it, you might need a new transmission control unit. The jerk you are feeling is from the constantly slipping torque converter.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by amgme
how bad is the jolt? subtle or abrupt as if you need apply more braking to stop it from lunging forward.
abrubt. Well a typical case is when he goes uphill on a particular street, not too steep but steep nonetheless. He climbs it at no more than 25mph and then when initiating a left turn, if he just lets off the gas and turns w/o applying brakes, no problem but if braking, the car jolts forward hard to the point where it locks seatbelts! I told this to my dealers many time but they can't replicate it so they don't do jack about it! It's starting to **** me off becasue the warranty will only be there for so long!!

I'm gonna call Mark Cummins today to ask him what it was that he told me, and see if one of you guys are able to pull me a bulletin on a it b/c w/o it the dealer claims there's nothing they can do, or when I mentioned to them what to do they said "oh yeah we know, it's common" only to return to get my car and get a "Oh yeah it doesnt apply to this year."

bullcrap.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
abrubt. Well a typical case is when he goes uphill on a particular street, not too steep but steep nonetheless. He climbs it at no more than 25mph and then when initiating a left turn, if he just lets off the gas and turns w/o applying brakes, no problem but if braking, the car jolts forward hard to the point where it locks seatbelts! I told this to my dealers many time but they can't replicate it so they don't do jack about it! It's starting to **** me off becasue the warranty will only be there for so long!!

I'm gonna call Mark Cummins today to ask him what it was that he told me, and see if one of you guys are able to pull me a bulletin on a it b/c w/o it the dealer claims there's nothing they can do, or when I mentioned to them what to do they said "oh yeah we know, it's common" only to return to get my car and get a "Oh yeah it doesnt apply to this year."

bullcrap.
that sounds Dangerous and it also sounds like a kickdown issue to me
Old 12-02-2006, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Im gonna have to make some calls next week to dealers and ***** them out if they refuse to help. forgot to Call Mark today too...
Old 09-29-2010, 01:35 PM

2003 E320 Pewter KG
I experienced this since I first got the car two years ago. It is very rare to happen but when it does it is very annoying.

At first they said it may be the MAF sensor. I tested it with a STAR diag but it was working fine. It gave 11 or 13 as i remember.

Then they said it will be the torque clutch converter. I asked the tranny mechanic. He knew about it and changed a few. He said the part costs $1800 if new and only $300 if used. However the used ones doesnt always work and may not solve the problem.

I'll leave it for now but will do the tranny service ( fluid and filter change) soon.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 PM

03 E320, 03 Lexus RX300
^I also experience this at 76,500 miles on my 2003 E320. Its not annoying enough for me to rush it to the dealer but its still in the back of my head. I was thinking of leaving it be for now, I doubt there are any harmful side effects of this. Its the same as letting the clutch slip when your engaging first with a M/T
Old 09-30-2010, 09:04 PM

e320
i have the same exact problem always happens at slow speeds.. i thought it was the sbc break pumping the breaks.. thats kind of what it feels like and also since the seat belt locks im assuming it would have to be the sbc......
Old 10-01-2010, 04:11 PM

E320 CDI
It is the TC lock up. I have that jerk when the car is cold in the morning. That is if I am light on the gas pedal. I find that It doesn't do that if I give the 1st gear a big run.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:05 PM

e500 sport
Have you ever had transmission serviced? did your MB service department actually do a glycol test to see if coolant is mixing into transmission fluid? I gad the same thing happen to me 3 years ago and that's what they found. I ended up having to replace transmission, torque converter and radiator with new cooler lines.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:14 PM

E320 CDI
i added 100ml of new transmission fluid. The tranny runs more quietly. I guess I didn't add enough fluid last time I did the fluid change. I think I will add 50ml more to see. 722.6 is very sensitive to fluid level.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:57 PM

E320 CDI
http://www.theworkshopmercedesbenz.c...ansConcern.pdf

has anyone tried the lock-up re-adaptation? My lock-up is definitely coming in in a wrong time. I really don't know why. When I go down a ramp, it will engage it to have some engine braking. It makes a droning sound. When I press the brake to stop, it will disengage and jerk. The procedures look hard to attain on normal road. Having to keep the car at 50km/h without slowing down is hard.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:51 PM

'06 E350
hi everybody, happy new year! newbie here, im driving 06 e350, i have 55,000 miles on it and im starting to experience that jolting thingy mostly when my transmission is set to sport. anybody has the answer?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:25 AM

E320 CDI
i believe the droning noise is from the TCC (Torque Converter Cluthch) when it is in slipping mode (by pass). It is when I am slowing down. Gear downshift itself.