E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Extended Warranty, Are they needed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warranty, Are they needed?

I have a 2005 E500-4Matic with10K miles. I was wondering what you all think about getting an extended warranty and do you think they are really needed for my sedan. I don't think I'll drivre more than 75-85,000 miles in 10 years. Should like to hear your views. Thanks
Old 12-18-2006, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
If you plan on keeping the car past the standard factory warranty, my experience says the extended warranty will save you money in the long run.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:54 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
The stuff on the MBUSA web site about extended warranties is confusing and contradictory (to me, anyway) but as I read it, I'm too late to buy an extended warranty even if I wanted to. I have an '03 delivered in 9/03, which means the warranty expires in 9/07. As I recall, I would have had to buy the extended warranty in the first year of ownership, or something like that.

In any event, given the startling cost of an extended warranty, I was wondering what kind of repairs people had done in the extended warranty period that made up for the cost of the extended warranty. If I'm too late, then I can just hope that my E500 (unlike, say, an iPod) doesn't get unreliable as soon as the original warranty runs out.

https://www.warrantydirect.com/calif...quotestep1.asp

Last edited by DWP; 12-18-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
The 190D we drove for 17 years had one $75 item that an extended warranty would have covered.

The 300E that I'm currently driving for the 16th year didn't have an item that might have been covered by an extended warranty until the 12th year (head gasket).

The 300E has actually never had a problem in the first 12 years that even required the MBUSA warranty to cover.

As for the E320, almost everything done to it under the warranty were recalls.

I plan to drive the E320 for a long time and I won't be buying an extended warranty.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:36 PM

2003 E500
for pre-2005 cars you need to go 3rd party for an extended warranty after the first year of ownership.

the forums have good things to say about warrantydirect.com, although I would definitely like to hear from other folks as to what stuff they'd had done after the factory warranty expired which was then covered by the extended warranty.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Also... How's your car been so far? Reliable? Repair free? No electronic failures? Itf so, its likely (law of averages) to stay that way. An extended warranty from any company is that company betting that the car will NOT need expensive service, against your paranoia that it will need expensive service. (Again, the law of averages).

They only make money on the sale of the warranty if the car doesn't need expensive service. ...and they are only in business to make money.

So base your decision on how your car has been so far, and how long you plan to keep it.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Extended Warranty

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your thoughts on buying an extended warranty. You all made some very good points. I should also like to hear, from the group, what major expense(s) anyone has incurred after their manufacture's warranty expired. I checked with Consumer reports and they were not in favor of getting an extended warranty....not worth the money. I leaning towards passing up the Ex. warranty. Thanks all for your comments....much appreciated.

My son has a '04 S55 and had one large expense, he had to replace the whole "instrument panel", which cost him about $1500. He just received a letter from MB stating that the "instrument panel" is under a recall and his dealer is trying to get his money back. $1500 is about 1/3 the price of the extended warranty being offered by Warranty Direct.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:13 PM

E430 , E500
You never know when are you going to need it...i would suggest that you take the extended...just one major problem would pay off the full amount of your extended warranty. But get the good one, like MB recommended..
Old 12-20-2006, 12:37 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
On this car, the cost to repair the items are much more then an older E class. Just imagine having to purchase any or some of the Airmatic system. I personally purchased the extended warranty.

All of the other items I have including all electornics, etc, I do not have an extended warranty.

The extended warranty on my wife's C class, I have used it 3 or 4 times already.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Originally Posted by jposhea3
the forums have good things to say about warrantydirect.com, although I would definitely like to hear from other folks as to what stuff they'd had done after the factory warranty expired which was then covered by the extended warranty.
After doing a detailed comparison, I went with warrantydirect.com. They seemed to cover more (like the phone that MB excluded). I called the service director at two dealers who, of course, said that the MB warranty was great. But they specifically said warrantydirect was excellent and that they never had a problem dealing with them. Both said they were the best 3d party. Considering the huge price differential, I went with warrantydirect.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:39 PM

'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
I just looked on Warrenty Directs site to get a quote for my incoming E550.
Pasted below are the exclusions:

A. THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BATTERY; SHOCK ABSORBERS; MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH ASSEMBLY; FRICTION CLUTCH DISC AND PRESSURE PLATE; THROW OUT BEARING; MANUAL AND HYDRAULIC LINKAGES; GPS NAVIGATION SYSTEMS; SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS (INCLUDING AIR BAGS); GLASS; LENSES; SEALED BEAMS; LIGHT BULBS; BRAKE ROTORS & DRUMS; TV/VIDEO/ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS; WEATHER STRIPS; TRIM; MOLDINGS; BRIGHT METAL; CHROME; UPHOLSTERY AND CARPET; PAINT; OUTSIDE ORNAMENTATION; BUMPERS; BODY SHEET METAL AND PANELS; TIRES; WHEELS/RIMS; PHONE SYSTEMS; EXHAUST & EMISSIONS SYSTEMS.

So, if the airmatic suspension goes out, or the Nav / Comand goes, it looks like these would *not* be covered? That is how I interpret the above.

David, still waiting for my Mid-December now "late December" arrival.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:09 PM

2003 E500
there are 3 different warrantydirect products....i suspect you're quoting the basic one.

the one that includes nav and phone and the like is the high end , the luxurycare+ product
Old 12-22-2006, 04:25 PM

I did select the "Luxury" option prior to clicking on the "view contract" ( or whatever) button. I was rather surprised to see these exclusions.

David, anxiously waiting on estimated 12/28 delivery date of E550
Old 12-25-2006, 06:39 PM

C240
Well i'm for Ex. Warranty and the same time i'm not.
I had bought Ex. Warranty from warranty direct on my E, but when the time came for them to shell out $$s, my heat wasn't covered. WTF, heat aint covered, and i had the major care, their second best. That totally pissed me off. Anyways, the way i see it, its a hit n miss thing. It pays off for some rips off others.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
The decision on whether or not to get an extended warranty really depends on your situation. If you are planning on keeping the car past the 4 year factory warranty period, and a repair bill of a few thousand dollars would really set you back, then it might be a good idea.

As for myself, I rarely keep a car past it's original factory warranty period. If I were to do so, I would buy an extended warranty, especially on a higher end vehicle. On my last two MBs, both have had relatively minor issues during the first 4 years that would have cost upwards of $2k each to fix were it not for the warranty.

I have heard good things about warranty direct. Always good to do some investigating though, and understand what you are buying.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by DesiBaba
Well i'm for Ex. Warranty and the same time i'm not.
I had bought Ex. Warranty from warranty direct on my E, but when the time came for them to shell out $$s, my heat wasn't covered. WTF, heat aint covered, and i had the major care, their second best. That totally pissed me off. Anyways, the way i see it, its a hit n miss thing. It pays off for some rips off others.
I wonder what grounds they used to deny your claim. Their "second best" is the SecureCare+ which does not list the heating system as an exclusion.

EDIT: I just noticed you said you had the "MajorCare" which is thier third coverage. This only covers what they call "Big Ticket" items. It is an inclusive coverage (meaning it only covers what's listed) versus an exclusive coverage (meaning it covers everything except what excluded).

Again, it pays to know what you are buying.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by Stoneseller
I just looked on Warrenty Directs site to get a quote for my incoming E550.
Pasted below are the exclusions:

A. THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BATTERY; SHOCK ABSORBERS; MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH ASSEMBLY; FRICTION CLUTCH DISC AND PRESSURE PLATE; THROW OUT BEARING; MANUAL AND HYDRAULIC LINKAGES; GPS NAVIGATION SYSTEMS; SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS (INCLUDING AIR BAGS); GLASS; LENSES; SEALED BEAMS; LIGHT BULBS; BRAKE ROTORS & DRUMS; TV/VIDEO/ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS; WEATHER STRIPS; TRIM; MOLDINGS; BRIGHT METAL; CHROME; UPHOLSTERY AND CARPET; PAINT; OUTSIDE ORNAMENTATION; BUMPERS; BODY SHEET METAL AND PANELS; TIRES; WHEELS/RIMS; PHONE SYSTEMS; EXHAUST & EMISSIONS SYSTEMS.

So, if the airmatic suspension goes out, or the Nav / Comand goes, it looks like these would *not* be covered? That is how I interpret the above.
I did select the "Luxury" option prior to clicking on the "view contract" ( or whatever) button. I was rather surprised to see these exclusions.
I'm looking at their "LuxuryCare+" option and it does cover GPS Navigation Systems. It doesn't specifically exclude air suspension (though it does exclude shocks) so I don't know about that one.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:39 PM

2003 E500

David, anxiously waiting on estimated 12/28 delivery date of E550
for a new car why go 3rd party? go MB extended.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:19 PM

Who's the cheapest dealer to buy the MB extended warranty from?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by jposhea3
for a new car why go 3rd party? go MB extended.
I have not yet decided whether or not to get extended from MB. My car is due any day, and I most likely won't make the final decision until I am sitting in the settlement office closing the deal. I generally decline extended warrenties on new products, figuring most problems will surface while under the original warrenty. OTOH, I may likely keep my new car over 4 years, in which case extending through MB may indeed pay for itself in the long run.
Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:59 PM

2017 E300W
I most likely won't make the final decision until I am sitting in the settlement office closing the deal.
Why do you feel you have to purchase the MB warranty at the moment you buy your car?

You have up to 12 mos. to make that decision without MB's increased rates. And if you search here for "discount" and "warranty", you'll come across those MB dealers who discount about 20%.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:20 PM

E430 , E500
You should wait ..dont waste your 12 months warranty....if the price goes up..it shouldnt be a lot....i paid 4800 for extended warranty up to 100k
Old 12-27-2006, 07:43 AM

I was not aware that I can extend the warrenty at no additional cost for up to 1 year. I'll definately wait.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:54 AM

2017 E300W
I was not aware that I can extend the warrenty at no additional cost for up to 1 year. I'll definately wait.
"Original owners may purchase extended coverage at any time during the first four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. A surcharge applies for vehicles having accrued more than either 12,000 total miles or 12 months from vehicle's delivery date."
http://www.mbusa.com/care/warranty/extended-limited.do