E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

not leather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BENZO
not leather?

I just rec'd a 2007 e350 with p1 and the sport package. is there seriously no leather on the inside of the car? I can not beleive it.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:27 PM

SL550
I think this is really, really sad on Mercedes' part. It almost killed my deal. My car's MSRP was $60K (paid far less than that) and half of the seats aren't real leather and there isn't any leather on the door panels.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:40 PM

BENZO
so it is an extra option

Originally Posted by bm75204
I think this is really, really sad on Mercedes' part. It almost killed my deal. My car's MSRP was $60K (paid far less than that) and half of the seats aren't real leather and there isn't any leather on the door panels.
to sport and premium 1 then? is that a fact?
Old 12-21-2006, 09:02 PM

SL550
Originally Posted by Pacific NW Guy
to sport and premium 1 then? is that a fact?
Mine's a 2006 E350 and has both the Premium and AMG Package (#321 offered briefly for 2006 models). I'm not sure if full leather is/was an option, as I didn't do much research prior to purchasing, but I believe the full leather was always standard on previous E-Classes. I had a 1993 400E and a friend had a 1991 300E, both of which had leather door panels and full leather seats...and I'm 95% sure this was not an extra-cost option on either car. I like my car, but it's too bad that Mercedes has really scrimped with materials compared to older Benz models.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:23 PM

Received 258 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Pacific NW Guy
I just rec'd a 2007 e350 with p1 and the sport package. is there seriously no leather on the inside of the car?
Well, there is a little bit. Copied directly from the MBUSA website:

*MB-Tex upholstery and trim.
*Leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob.

2006 models had a little more; leather on the front seat surfaces only...bolsters, trim, and entire rear seat were MB-Tex.

Leather interior is optional.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Yeah they started using MBTex on the E320/350 for the W211 model. I think its kinda cheesy too at this price point. However, it is actually more durable than regular leather. The only way for an amateur to tell is to look at the door panels. If they have flat perforated looking "leather" you have the MB Tex upholstry. If there is a gathered leather look, then you have the leather interior.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:55 PM

BENZO
funny

Originally Posted by pmb600
Yeah they started using MBTex on the E320/350 for the W211 model. I think its kinda cheesy too at this price point. However, it is actually more durable than regular leather. The only way for an amateur to tell is to look at the door panels. If they have flat perforated looking "leather" you have the MB Tex upholstry. If there is a gathered leather look, then you have the leather interior.
now that i think about the 2006 to the 2007 the seats do seem the same i just assumed they were leather. I will say i like the looks of the 07 sport better and the sat radio is sweetl
Old 12-22-2006, 12:38 AM
A C

2016 E350
Cheesy

I thought this was cheesy too. Maybe just me, but the MB tex cars smell funny inside - especially after sitting in the sun.

After seeing the SAKS car I had to have the Sahara Beige interior so I ended up paying more for the leather.

My E430 had leather and I don't ever remember seeing it as an option on the E class cars. My opinion - it should be included at this level of car, as should xenons.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
I love the MB tex. Its so easy to wipe down and take care of. 99% of the people who ride in the car think its leather and dont know the difference. I have nappa leather in the M3 and I would trade that for MB tex anyday, I hate how it absorbs colors from pants(girls designer pants are the worse they bleed into the seat like no other) and gets dirty fast not to mention having to clean it is a pain.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:11 AM

2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
I agree with Andrew. I like the smell of leather, but no one but me knows my 60K whip has vinyl seats. They are easy to maintain and feel fine.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 132 Likes on 105 Posts
Aston Martin Vantage, GLE 43 AMG, Volvo XC60, BMW X1 35i, Ram 1500, BMW Z4 35i
I just had my wifes Suburban drivers seat bottom replaced under warranty because of excessive "wear' and the staining of the leather from clothes...The dealer mentioned that if folks really insisted, they woudl replace it...It's probably one of theose "hidden warranty" things...The car only had 28K miles...and it is a Chevy!...i would hope MB would do better with their leather...
I've had the MB Tex in my C class and the "leatherette" in my BMW's and no one could really tell the difference (unless another BMW?MB owner...It wore real well...I think the fact that MB has offered an all MB tex, non leather E class as standard is poor marketing...They should offer leather as standard and give the MB Tex as a credit option on a $50K+ car
Old 12-22-2006, 01:11 PM

BENZO
true

Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
I love the MB tex. Its so easy to wipe down and take care of. 99% of the people who ride in the car think its leather and dont know the difference. I have nappa leather in the M3 and I would trade that for MB tex anyday, I hate how it absorbs colors from pants(girls designer pants are the worse they bleed into the seat like no other) and gets dirty fast not to mention having to clean it is a pain.
i do agree but i also think just that fact is funny it is not leather. I never knew last year, only reason i do this time is i was looking at the sticker yesterday.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:51 PM

I agree 100%. I had an M3 as well (two, actually), and the leather looked like crap after three years on both, even with meticulous care; on one the very light grey looked dingy over time, and the Imola Red drivers seat on the other had a shiny patina that the passenger and rears didn't. I'd prefer Alcantara over MB-Tex, but man-made materials hold up SO much better for automotive use.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:29 PM

C32
mistake #1 - the lady should have sported only thongs
Old 12-22-2006, 03:31 PM

C32
Originally Posted by edspider
I agree with Andrew. I like the smell of leather, but no one but me knows my 60K whip has vinyl seats. They are easy to maintain and feel fine.
I would never trade nappa for MB-TEX (aka known as Vinyl) any day. Leather does age with time, but it feels much better to the touch. Most people won't be able to tell MB tex (ahem vinyl) from leather because of its textured look, but it's just plain cheap in a 60K car.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by ultraseven
Leather does age with time, but it feels much better to the touch.

Most people won't be able to tell MB tex (ahem vinyl) from leather because of its textured look.
Unless you and your passengers really are riding around in thongs, the parts you actually touch in the car...the steering wheel and shifter...are still leather.

And MB-Tex really is indistinguishable from the heavily treated leather used in the 2006 models...same in my Porsche 997...can't tell the real 'seating areas' from the vinyl side bolsters...so what's the point of using leather? Just to say you have it? I'd rather the car still look new in 3-5 years.

And as i mentioned before, nicer grades of leather wear even more quickly in automotive applications.

As to whether it should be standard in a $60 car, well, it isn't standard in the $123k Porsche GT3RS either...not one piece.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:16 PM

C32
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Unless you and your passengers really are riding around in thongs, the parts you actually touch in the car...the steering wheel and shifter...are still leather.

And MB-Tex really is indistinguishable from the heavily treated leather used in the 2006 models...same in my Porsche 997...can't tell the real 'seating areas' from the vinyl side bolsters...so what's the point of using leather? Just to say you have it? I'd rather the car still look new in 3-5 years.

And as i mentioned before, nicer grades of leather wear even more quickly in automotive applications.

As to whether it should be standard in a $60 car, well, it isn't standard in the $123k Porsche GT3RS either...not one piece.
Perhaps try on a pair next time?

I can tell that MB Tex seats have felt a bit stickier , and that's not because of extracurricular activities associated with ladies in thongs. The texture closely resembles treated leather, but it just isn't the same. Vinyl is plastic, no matter how you name it, be it MB Tex, Lexus Love, or Ferrari Fabric. It lasts longer, but it just doesn't feel as good as natural leather because of its inherent "stickiness", especially against Nappa leather.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
A little Armor All on vinyl seats takes all the grabbiness out of them. Initially its very slick, but then its just plain better than untreated vinyl. (Never use on Leather).
Old 12-22-2006, 07:17 PM

2007 E550
I did'nt know my 99 E430 had MBTex until I read about hear about six months ago. After spending $600 to replace the seating surfaces on my wifes Navigator, I'll take the vinyl any day. Looks new at 150,000 miles with absolutely zero wear.

I'm still hem-hawing about the 2007 b/c I would like the cognac, but it only comes in leather (that and the fact that sticker is the best I can do so far). I understood (told by MB-OKC) that MBTex is standard on the E, except with the Sport package which has leather only. But this apparently is not the case.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by benzinok
I did'nt know my 99 E430 had MBTex until I read about hear about six months ago. After spending $600 to replace the seating surfaces on my wifes Navigator, I'll take the vinyl any day. Looks new at 150,000 miles with absolutely zero wear.

I'm still hem-hawing about the 2007 b/c I would like the cognac, but it only comes in leather (that and the fact that sticker is the best I can do so far). I understood (told by MB-OKC) that MBTex is standard on the E, except with the Sport package which has leather only. But this apparently is not the case.
The E550 comes with leather standard on both sport and non-sport models. The E350 comes with MB Tex standard on all models even with sport package. However, the two-tone interiors (Black/Sahara Beige and Black/Cognac) are available only on the sport package and only in leather for an additional cost.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Almost a Member!

07 Bluetec P2 package panaroma sunroof wood and leather steering wheel, keyless go
Leather

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Well, there is a little bit. Copied directly from the MBUSA website:

2006 models had a little more; leather on the front seat surfaces only...bolsters, trim, and entire rear seat were MB-Tex.

Leather interior is optional.

You are right there is no leather in the 07's what so ever. I ordered a 07 E320Bluetec via the EDP program. I asked about the leather seating surfaces because the MB website says leather seating surfaces. The rep at the dealer told me that that is a mistake left over from the 06's. The 07's have all MB Tex unless you order the leather(except steering wheel and shifter knob) Paying 60+ for pleather . I was at the crossroads, I had a limited amount of money to spend on this car, so it was do I get leather or the panaroma sunroof. The rep recommened that I get the MB Tex, saying that it would long out last the leather. So I got the panaroma sunroof thank God!
Old 12-23-2006, 12:39 AM
Almost a Member!

07 Bluetec P2 package panaroma sunroof wood and leather steering wheel, keyless go
Originally Posted by benzinok

Buy VIA the EDP. Save 7% plus get a trip to Germany(You pay the airfare). The only downfall is the wait. I ordered the car Oct 12th, won't see it until mid Feb maybe
Old 12-23-2006, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Tuffy72

You are right there is no leather in the 07's what so ever. I ordered a 07 E320Bluetec via the EDP program. I asked about the leather seating surfaces because the MB website says leather seating surfaces. The rep at the dealer told me that that is a mistake left over from the 06's. The 07's have all MB Tex unless you order the leather(except steering wheel and shifter knob) Paying 60+ for pleather . I was at the crossroads, I had a limited amount of money to spend on this car, so it was do I get leather or the panaroma sunroof. The rep recommened that I get the MB Tex, saying that it would long out last the leather. So I got the panaroma sunroof thank God!
See what I wrote above. Leather is standard on the E550 and E63 AMG. E350 and E320 Bluetech have MB Tex standard, leather as an optional upgrade for about $1500.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
I've owned many cars with leather, and a few Mercedes with MB-TEX. I have to say that I prefer the MB-TEX over the leather. It wears better, it's less maintenance, and it ends up looking better in the long run. And unless you're some kind of leather expert, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Personally, I would pay more for this since I view it as a better quality product.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by ultraseven
Perhaps try on a pair next time?

I can tell that MB Tex seats have felt a bit stickier , and that's not because of extracurricular activities associated with ladies in thongs. The texture closely resembles treated leather, but it just isn't the same. Vinyl is plastic, no matter how you name it, be it MB Tex, Lexus Love, or Ferrari Fabric. It lasts longer, but it just doesn't feel as good as natural leather because of its inherent "stickiness", especially against Nappa leather.
I've owned two MBs with MB-TEX and I've never noticed any stickiness. And it does get hot down here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: not leather?