Burned My 1st MP3 CD.. Got a Couple of ?'s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Burned My 1st MP3 CD.. Got a Couple of ?'s

I Burned My 1st MP3 CD using RealPlayer Plus & tried it in the Changer. (In the '07s the changer & the single slot are supposed to read mp3s).

I noticed that the CD takes a long time to load before it starts to play, (a lot of tracks maybe?) but it plays fine. It lists the proper "My Disc Name" at the top of the screen & proper "Song Title Here.mp3" as the track playing. The bottom of the screen lists 1/99 even though there are 160 tracks on the CD, and there are apparently no folders to <> thru, even though I set preferences to create folders by Artist.

Are there only the 99 tracks the player can see?

Any Suggestions?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
I think the max. amount of files in a folder the COMAND recognizes is 99. Therefore it seems that all the music you burned was on one folder, you'd have to play around with the realplayer settings so that it burns multiple folders.
You'd be able to see how many folders are on the disc by popping it in a computer drive and exploring the drive its in.

I'd suggest using Nero Burning ROM if possible or
Burning a cd with a list of folders[apparently you want the folders named after the artist] and the songs in them. You'd be able to even use the Windows Burn button to add files to a blank CD in a CD burning drive.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
I've re burnt the same CD using Nero. It made the cd with folders, but some Artist folders have folders with additional songs within them. Will that be a problem? (Can't get to the car till later.)
Old 03-23-2007, 05:28 PM

E500
I suppose the COMAND will recognize each subfolder and display a subfolder with songs in the same list of folders with Artists as their titles.

You ought to be able to scroll through every folder which has songs in it. I hope Nero is easy to use for you; it is for me. Unlike some audio players it's a program that does nothing or little to modify the folders you drag into the burn list.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E350 blk/blk P2 Bural Wood
I had a same question a few days ago and the answer I got was that only the single slot will read folders but not the changer? Is that the case?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
I tried the Nero Burned CD & got 99 tracks, no folders. I'll have to try the single slot tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Not to flame anybody but folders and tracks;

1) Its been discussed on the forum
2) Its addressed in the manuals
Old 03-23-2007, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by smb7420
I think the max. amount of files in a folder the COMAND recognizes is 99. Therefore it seems that all the music you burned was on one folder, you'd have to play around with the realplayer settings so that it burns multiple folders.
You'd be able to see how many folders are on the disc by popping it in a computer drive and exploring the drive its in.

I'd suggest using Nero Burning ROM if possible or
Burning a cd with a list of folders[apparently you want the folders named after the artist] and the songs in them. You'd be able to even use the Windows Burn button to add files to a blank CD in a CD burning drive.
Guys no matter how you shake this up,, the fact is you will get only 99.

That means 99 files period. IF you make folders it doesn't matter because comand sees folders as files So, after it counts to 99, everything else will simply be ignored OR you might see an empty folder That's it!

AS the moderator stated. This has been discussed a million times between Cd's and Dvd's.

There is no 'magical' way to put Mp3's on a disc. or some "magic" program. It all comes out the same...

After hours and hours of testing.. here's how it works...

Comand will load in alphabetical order folders + content + subfolders + content till it reaches 99 FILES for CD's or 999 FILES for DVD's then it will not load anything after that. IF your disk or DVD has more than that, it will either show up as an empty folder, be ignored, or cause a disk error.

Remember.. unlike the cd player in your computer which loads the disk directory and waits till you request a file before it loads from the disk,
The comand loads the entire Disk creating it's own alphabetical directory based on what it loaded in to the comand memory. This is why it takes a while to load the disk. but notice you have instant access to any song without hearing the disk "spin-up" as it will on the computer

That's it.

BTW. Song titles from the changer do not show up on the MFD ( instrument cluster). it just says the track #. However, titles from the single player will transmit song titles to the MFD.

Last edited by my06clk; 03-23-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:06 PM

1998 E320 3.2 V6
hmm, when i burn an MP3 CD, it works in my E500, i just use Nero Burning Rom

works for me
Old 03-23-2007, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by my06clk
...BTW. Song titles from the changer do not show up on the MFD ( instrument cluster). it just says the track #. However, titles from the single player will transmit song titles to the MFD.
On my '07, I get Song titles on the MFD & COMAND screen. On my '04 I used to get Song titles on the COMAND & Track # on the MFD (with audio CDs only back then), until I got a software update from the dealer. Then the titles would appear on both thereafter. But you are right, it takes a while to "load" the CDs contents before you get music. Maybe it will be shorter if I cut the number of tracks back to 99.

OK, so I'm burning the MP3 CDs correctly & 99 tracks is the limit. That's still a lot of music on a CD. 99 tracks times 6 is 594 songs. If the "average" time per song is 3 minutes or so, thats about 29 hours of music. Thats alot of music. For thise without Satellite Radio, thats a pretty nice alternative.

In yet another quirk of MB engineering, a long song title will first appear truncated on the Comand display, then a window will pop up in a smaller font in which the entire title is shown for 4 seconds or so, then the window will be dismissed and the truncated title will reappear. Wouldn't it have been far simpler programming to have the title always come up in the slightly smaller font size and be displayed in full all the time, rather than go through all that extra code writing? (This full title window routine was also initially not present in my '04 until after the software update to the Audio System.)

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 03-23-2007 at 10:13 PM.