Break squeak - MB says it is normal for MB brakes to squeak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Pressure retaining spring (referenced in DTB above)
You and your fancy DTB's

I guess if I read the damn thread I would've seen that.....
Old 04-05-2007, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 AMG Sport
[QUOTE=avb777;2123289]
Originally Posted by georgedaman
Grease has nothing to do with it. My car started to squeak in 3k miles after delivery. Do you suggest to renew the grease every 3K miles?
I agree with avb777. If grease was the solution, then my car wouldn't continue to squeak. MB could grease are brakes all they want and it would only clear things for a few days or so. There's definitely something more.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:45 PM

GL350
[QUOTE=avb777;2123289]
Originally Posted by georgedaman
Grease has nothing to do with it. My car started to squeak in 3k miles after delivery. Do you suggest to renew the grease every 3K miles?
I already suggested to use a different compound then mercedes uses ,but you can do whatever you think is good...The problem is the pads are not holding onto the calipers...
Old 04-05-2007, 07:49 PM

GL350
[QUOTE=PlayboyDiddy;2123534]
Originally Posted by avb777

I agree with avb777. If grease was the solution, then my car wouldn't continue to squeak. MB could grease are brakes all they want and it would only clear things for a few days or so. There's definitely something more.
Diddy.i might have used the wrong word .It is not grease ,its a more of a glue that holds the pads in the calipers
Old 04-05-2007, 08:21 PM

2005 E500 AMG Sport
[QUOTE=georgedaman;2123656]
Originally Posted by PlayboyDiddy

Diddy.i might have used the wrong word .It is not grease ,its a more of a glue that holds the pads in the calipers
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:09 PM

Mercedes E350, E550s on it's way!
MB Brakes often 'glaze' over. As one of the members above me stated, you must get your vehicle up to a high enough speed, and come down hard on the brakes. Taking your vehicle in for service over this will only result in them applying a special anti-squeak compound to your brakes, a oil type substance, which by the way I've had loss of braking power from, and had to immediately return to service to have them remove it. Hard to believe, but when they apply to much, because I HATE the squeaking noise, it can really mess your brakes up.

So again, as the many know on here, Mercedes brakes 'glaze' over at low speeds, it takes a high speed, and enough braking power to heat up, and brittle away the glaze. After doing this, your problems should be behind you.

Many probly oppose this way of doing it, but its the fastest most direct way of dealing with it, and seeing as I've done it every other month when mine start to do this, and after doing so it stopped. Well, you just can't argue with the facts.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:45 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
For those who cannot seem to spell...IT'S BRAKES NOT BREAKS!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:58 PM

Mercedes E350, E550s on it's way!
Originally Posted by RJC

HAHA, I didn't even catch his spelling errors. Cheers RJC
Old 04-06-2007, 09:43 PM

2005 E500 AMG Sport
Originally Posted by AkMadness
MB Brakes often 'glaze' over. As one of the members above me stated, you must get your vehicle up to a high enough speed, and come down hard on the brakes. Taking your vehicle in for service over this will only result in them applying a special anti-squeak compound to your brakes, a oil type substance, which by the way I've had loss of braking power from, and had to immediately return to service to have them remove it. Hard to believe, but when they apply to much, because I HATE the squeaking noise, it can really mess your brakes up.

So again, as the many know on here, Mercedes brakes 'glaze' over at low speeds, it takes a high speed, and enough braking power to heat up, and brittle away the glaze. After doing this, your problems should be behind you.

Many probly oppose this way of doing it, but its the fastest most direct way of dealing with it, and seeing as I've done it every other month when mine start to do this, and after doing so it stopped. Well, you just can't argue with the facts.
I was told to do the same thing by one of my previous service advisors, but after talking to my friend who is a mechanic at another dealership, I decided not to try it. He stated by doing that, you can very easily warp the rotors and then will need to replace them.

He also stated that glazing is a problem on all vehicles, not just Mercedes. He does not think this is the cause of the squeaking, as my car was doing way before my rotors were glazed, but it could add on to the problem.

I do not know how true it is, as you have had success with this process. Just wanted to share this with everyone.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:46 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
I've had this issue with a few new MB's in the past and the only long lasting solution was when the dealership replaced the pads and rotors, on one occasion the one of the replacement rotors was causing a squeak and it too had to be replaced. So don't let them tell you it's OK! BTW, my 07 Carrera S's brakes started to make a slow speed squeal at about 1400 miles and is driving me mad! I will have the dealer address the squeak soon.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by RJC

Danged and all this time I was thinking time for coffee.

However for those who do the high speed braking or ("breaking ) be sure to allow a cool down for the brakes between high speed application. If you do too many stops in rapid succession you risk warping your rotors, and then you will have another problem. Jim
Old 04-07-2007, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by PlayboyDiddy
I was told to do the same thing by one of my previous service advisors, but after talking to my friend who is a mechanic at another dealership, I decided not to try it. He stated by doing that, you can very easily warp the rotors and then will need to replace them.

He also stated that glazing is a problem on all vehicles, not just Mercedes. He does not think this is the cause of the squeaking, as my car was doing way before my rotors were glazed, but it could add on to the problem.

I do not know how true it is, as you have had success with this process. Just wanted to share this with everyone.
Go read my post up a few^^^.. If you do it that way you wont warp the rotors, its every important you dont stop the car and dont get ABS to kick in. Also stay away from puddles of water..