E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Timer don't works --- Auxillary Heater!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL 350 & E class 200K avantgarde
Unhappy Timer don't works --- Auxillary Heater!

I have a auxillary heater in my 05 E.
All worked fine but,

Nowadays timer don't works in my auxillary heater--- I set some time schedule in my cluster and yellow light on in the heater button, but heater don't start on reserved time.

But heater works fine with remote or push the heater button in the shift panel.

With Star, no error in the cluster and heater.

How can I correct timer malfunction?
Old 04-08-2007, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
what is a Aux heater?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
A EURO option that'll allow you to prewarm your car.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
i would love to have that
Old 04-08-2007, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by macgyber
I have a auxillary heater in my 05 E.
All worked fine but,

Nowadays timer don't works in my auxillary heater--- I set some time schedule in my cluster and yellow light on in the heater button, but heater don't start on reserved time.

But heater works fine with remote or push the heater button in the shift panel.

With Star, no error in the cluster and heater.

How can I correct timer malfunction?
How cold was it when you tried it? My current Aux heater (on a W221) timer is using the departure time setting. The timer is supposed to calculate the time when the heater needs to be switched on, against the outside temperature and desired departure time. I believe it was different on a W211 (a bit older). Just a guess, have not tried it myself but it could be that it only comes on at your current temperature if you use it manually, without the timer.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
the heater will only work if there is

1. more than 1/4 fuel in the tank
2. outside temp is cold enough

As you stated, it works with the remote but did you try it at the same time as you tried to start it with the timer? IF the yellow led illuminates, then the programmed time is registered and it should work fine. Kosherbenz, I will be doing a w211 diesel heater install soon so I can take pictures and post them if you are interested in it.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by sunman
the heater will only work if there is

1. more than 1/4 fuel in the tank
2. outside temp is cold enough

As you stated, it works with the remote but did you try it at the same time as you tried to start it with the timer? IF the yellow led illuminates, then the programmed time is registered and it should work fine. Kosherbenz, I will be doing a w211 diesel heater install soon so I can take pictures and post them if you are interested in it.

HI, Sunil

When I set a time in the cluster, then yellow led is on . But the heater and ventilation function don't works(start) on the programmed time. So I cannot have my heater works at the desired time. But by remote and push the button, heater works promptly.

Sometimes heater works even if fuel volume is less than 1/4 of tank.
What's the reference temperature for heater working?
If I have fuel less than 1/4 of tank, yellow led cannot be on when I set the wanted time?

What's your opinion?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
The yellow led will be on ANYTIME the time is programmed. THe heater will try to fire if the fuel is low but it can't after a few tries and stops. I would get a star diag hooked to it and scan any trouble codes with the STH module. Did it always work before? If all else fails, I would check wiring then. The switch obviously works fine. DId you try to activate the heater with the center console switch? Hold it down for a few seconds. Since the remote control works, I would rule out the telestart receiver. Did you do anything to the car that may have caused this problem to happen? Perhaps install something, take it to the dealer for some reason?
Old 04-08-2007, 11:26 PM

The yellow led will be on ANYTIME the time is programmed. THe heater will try to fire if the fuel is low but it can't after a few tries and stops. I would get a star diag hooked to it and scan any trouble codes with the STH module. Did it always work before? If all else fails, I would check wiring then. The switch obviously works fine. Hold it down for a few seconds. Since the remote control works, I would rule out the telestart receiver. Did you do anything to the car that may have caused this problem to happen? Perhaps install something, take it to the dealer for some reason?
1.Did it always work before?---yes, 3months ago, the malfunction started.2.DId you try to activate the heater with the center console switch? yes , and it works fine with center console switch.
Only working by timer set(reservation) don't works.
3.Did you do anything to the car that may have caused this problem to happen? No , nothing but, Recently my ipod kit shows malfunction error and it was fixed by swapping ipod interface by myself(parts from by MBenzNL).
4. No distinct error by STAR... I visited dealership several times

Actually I think the problem is where between Instrument cluster and Heater CANBUS.
Heater didn't try to fire after yellow led on.
Switch module will be fine(it works proprerly I push it).
If I try 10 times, 1-2 works and 8-9 times don't works by timer set.

What is STH module?

If I live in US, this problem easily fixed by you and Steve' help.

Thanks, Sunil
Old 04-09-2007, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
if the CAN wire was disconnected, then the yellow LED would not illuminate and the climate control would not turn on. I would still try to read any fault codes on the STH module (stationary heater). IF all else fails, I don't recommend this usually, disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and plug it back. Make sure you fix all your memory adjustments. there is no direct connection between the heater and the instrument cluster. It's all via CAN.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:40 AM

if the CAN wire was disconnected, then the yellow LED would not illuminate and the climate control would not turn on. I would still try to read any fault codes on the STH module (stationary heater). IF all else fails, I don't recommend this usually, disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and plug it back. Make sure you fix all your memory adjustments. there is no direct connection between the heater and the instrument cluster. It's all via CAN.
Yesterday I reset the heater in the cluster menu by pushing "R" button in the side of the cluster. Then today morning , my heater worked as programmed time.
But in the afternoon, it didn't works....It 's mysterious...
Old 04-10-2007, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
Sunman, I would love to get more details on this option and pics when you do the process. If its not to crazy expensive, Ill retro my car with it.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
like I said before in an email: my guess is that it is a CAN error - possibly caused by another component (not being the IC nor STH) and probably related to the stored failures in the CGW - but that is just a guess from the other side of the world...

greetingz,