E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Teleaid, who uses it? [Canada]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Teleaid, who uses it? [Canada]

I have tele-aid (free subscription for year 1, after that quite expensive).

The emrgency thing is obvious. I crash or need help, they are told about it and send help.

But the info and breakdown buttons? What are the costs (I have not been told anything), what can you ask these people, etc? I have called to ask when something did not work, but what is the exact scope of these services?

I am in Canada btw so we get no web site or anything: I think US customers do. Could be wrong though.

Michael
Old 10-01-2002, 07:03 PM

C32-AMG
Question What doe sit cost in the US?

I'm curious too. Anybody have the cost in US$ of Teleaide after the first year? Will be interetsing to see who gets the better deal. Do the info and breakdown buttons cost extra or are they included with Teleaide?
Old 10-01-2002, 11:04 PM

E320, Lexus RX 300, Nissan Xterra
Paid about US$600 for 4 years - including the first year that is free, that works out to be US$200/year after the first year. I was told I can cancel anytime and get a pro-rated return. Taking this approach, you are protected against any future price increases.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:14 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
But have you ever used it?

Old 10-02-2002, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK320
My mom has it in her S class. We actually used it once because we got an error message and didn't know what it meant. Othe rthan that we haven't. But I think it pays for itself in case you ever need it in an emergency or accident
Old 10-02-2002, 04:55 PM

E320, Lexus RX 300, Nissan Xterra
Re: But have you ever used it?

Originally posted by mwillems
Yes.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:52 PM

2001 ML320
I've posted this point of view before but I think it is HIGHLY unlikely one would ever derive much benefit from this system in the modern age of cell phones (including the cell phones of drivers who see you crash, etc.) The best way to get info about your car or a problem with your car is to call the dealer or the toll free number once you get home. If it is a serious problem, just call for roadside assistance - either way your cell phone should work just fine for a whole lot less money.

Some exceptions might be if you are in a very remote area (though I'm not sure the voice communications would work in that case anyway) or if you don't have a cell phone.

Is there anyone purchasing a 2003 E MB who doesn't have a cell phone?
Old 10-02-2002, 06:27 PM

2003 MB E500
Very good points Barney. I agree. MB should at least provide the accident notification for free or at a greatly reduced cost for a safety feature to it customers; something it has built a reputation on.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
the sccident notification is for free right? i know its for the first year, but thats part of the system right
Old 10-02-2002, 07:10 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Well, I was hoiping to see value

Indeed, I agree $300-odd per year plus an exhorbitant charge per minute is rather silly: I was actually hoping there would be some more value for this.

Reporting an accident should be cheap and is of doubtful value in any case I think;

Breakdown - they should pay ME when the car breaks down!

Info is the great unknown to me: what info can I get? On how the car works? I know that already more or less... anything else? I am always happy to pay for value but am not sure what that value is, here.

Michael
Old 10-02-2002, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
This system is so expensive because nobody uses it. How many of us continue the contract after a year when free is expired? Why will pay for satellites and operators waiting calls in 24/7? I think this system should be transformed in something else adding Internet access and other useful features and be available in any car. In this case we can seriously expect dropping prices and free emergency service.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:42 PM

2001 ML320
I think you get the same info as if you called the 1-800-MERCEDES number. They also have a type of concierge service which can help you locate a restaurant and secure reservations or order flowers and who knows what else. You still pay for anything you order of course. Most gold or platinum credit cards from VISA, MC, AMEX all offer the same service for free (it is included in the anual membership/card fees).

I like the comment that they should pay you for a breakdown and certainly they shouldn't charge for that call.

I also agree that MB prides itself on safety and having an emergency call go out in the event of a roll over or air bag deploy shoud ABSOLUTELY be at no charge. I think they are just praying on our insecurities and the 'what if' stuff and getting people to pay this outrageous fee for very little in return. What is next - will they charge an extra fee to have the on board computer activate the antilock brakes? Maybe they can get away with the Teleaid because not too many cars offer it.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
i wish that will happen, but i doubt that will be for free, as long as there are ppl who are paying for it, they are making $....but a price reduction would be better
Old 10-02-2002, 10:28 PM

2003 MB E500
I seem to remember recently that Cadillac or another GM Division made automatic accident notification standard (free) on their cars. If they can do it so can MB. As I said in my above post, MB has built their reputation on safety and inovation. Making this a free feature would give them a lot of good P/R and would continue that well deserved tradition. Afterall how much can they really make on this item? Continue to charge for the other services just make accident notification free. How much could that cost them?
Old 10-03-2002, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
might be onstar