E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 GPS / Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E46 M3 6MT
Arrow E500 GPS / Bluetooth

My dad has a 2003 E500, and I'm looking to get him a new head unit for father's day. He currently has the stock CD player. Does anyone have recommendations for aftermarket units with GPS and bluetooth integration (for a blackberry)? I think he'd like it to look as close to an OEM unit as possible (nothing too flashy). Thanks!
Old 05-13-2007, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
No aftermarket. Contat http://mbenznl.com/ he will take care of you & install.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:08 PM

E46 M3 6MT
Wow...$3750

What are the aftermarket options / is it single- or double-DIN or some other size?

Last edited by mikekbrad; 05-13-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:14 PM

E46 M3 6MT
bump...
Old 05-15-2007, 05:34 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
You can bump all you want, but you won't get a different answer. Barry wasn't kidding. The days of pulling out a car's factory head unit and swapping in some non-OEM aftermarket unit are coming to an end. For one thing, more and more head units control car functions other than entertainment, and they use proprietary firmware to do so. The W211's head units fall into that category.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
Originally Posted by mikekbrad
My dad has a 2003 E500, and I'm looking to get him a new head unit for father's day. He currently has the stock CD player. Does anyone have recommendations for aftermarket units with GPS and bluetooth integration (for a blackberry)? I think he'd like it to look as close to an OEM unit as possible (nothing too flashy). Thanks!
OEM GPS will be too expensive.
Here is some other option for Father's day.

1. replace his Audio50 with New U.S. command, (play mp3 and mp3 Burned on DVD, looks better w/ bigger screen)

2. Euro Command. (you get to watch DVD, mp3 and looks much better w/ bigger LCD screen anyway)

3. Get him an After Marketing GPS. (seriously, unless you guys are new to the area, don't bother. It is not that hard to go around D.C.
I was there for 20 years only place you might need a GPS is around Pentagon City where Rt 1/ GWU parkway intersect w/ I-395 and Columbia Pike.

4. Get him an after-market Xenon kit (if he doesn't already have them and instruction is on sticky)
Old 05-16-2007, 04:13 PM

E46 M3 6MT
Originally Posted by no_clue
OEM GPS will be too expensive.
Here is some other option for Father's day.

1. replace his Audio50 with New U.S. command, (play mp3 and mp3 Burned on DVD, looks better w/ bigger screen)

2. Euro Command. (you get to watch DVD, mp3 and looks much better w/ bigger LCD screen anyway)

3. Get him an After Marketing GPS. (seriously, unless you guys are new to the area, don't bother. It is not that hard to go around D.C.
I was there for 20 years only place you might need a GPS is around Pentagon City where Rt 1/ GWU parkway intersect w/ I-395 and Columbia Pike.

4. Get him an after-market Xenon kit (if he doesn't already have them and instruction is on sticky)
Thanks for the helpful reply! We've been in the area for 25 years, but he's found handheld GPS units to be useful for the business traveling he does around the mid-Atlantic. He's got the bi-xenons already. I guess I'll look into something else for his fathers day.

Last edited by mikekbrad; 05-16-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:18 PM

E46 M3 6MT
Originally Posted by DWP
You can bump all you want, but you won't get a different answer. Barry wasn't kidding. The days of pulling out a car's factory head unit and swapping in some non-OEM aftermarket unit are coming to an end. For one thing, more and more head units control car functions other than entertainment, and they use proprietary firmware to do so. The W211's head units fall into that category.
Yeah, good point...I guess it was naive of me to think that his head unit that controls the CD, tape, and radio was controlling more in the car than entertainment and could be swapped... And maybe it was rude of me to ask for more info after the response to my question was "no aftermarket"... All I was looking for was a bit more information, sheesh.

But point taken about it being a non-standard, proprietary interface. Too bad.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:41 AM

Thanks for the helpful reply! We've been in the area for 25 years, but he's found handheld GPS units to be useful for the business traveling he does around the mid-Atlantic. He's got the bi-xenons already. I guess I'll look into something else for his fathers day.
Usually you can get Euro Command from ebay for less than 1K.

As for portable GPS, here is my preference..
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...table-gps.html
Old 05-17-2007, 12:24 PM

E46 M3 6MT
Originally Posted by no_clue
Usually you can get Euro Command from ebay for less than 1K.

As for portable GPS, here is my preference..
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...table-gps.html
What exactly does the Euro COMAND feature over the base system? It can play DVDs, right? Is that it? Also, my dad's car is an '03 and therefore doesn't have COMAND of any sort...would those ebay kits have whatever is needed to upgrade his interface?
Old 05-18-2007, 01:24 AM

What exactly does the Euro COMAND feature over the base system? It can play DVDs, right? Is that it? Also, my dad's car is an '03 and therefore doesn't have COMAND of any sort...would those ebay kits have whatever is needed to upgrade his interface?
U.S. or Euro Command 04-06 will be easy plug and play to your current Audio50 connector.

It is not a kit, it is entire command center. (larger LCD screen w/out casset deck and plays mp3 disk, or mp3 burned on DVD disk)