E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

"Puck with tail" initial impressions.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB CLS550
"Phone Not Installed"

I have a 2006 CLS500 with a puck installed. However, the puck's LED lights do not come on and my display states "Phone Not Installed". Any idea what's wrong?
Old 08-26-2015, 10:50 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Wrong puck or not correctly coded control modules or defective. But since you didn't post the parts number of the puck used and additional information, only a guess.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Resurrecting an old thread....

Does anyone know if there are any firmware or software upgrades related to the puck with tail? I've had one for years and from day one it pairs successfully on less than 50% of attempts. Turning the COMAND unit on and off and doing the same for the phone doesn't seem to help.

Usually, the phone will pair with OK odds when the phone's Bluetooth is already on before I approach the car. If it isn't on, then trying to pair after the fact almost always fail. I've used the iphone 5 and 5s and the chances of pairing don't seem to be noticeably different.

I'm guessing that if the phone isn't active when the car's electrics first wake up, then pairing is lucky at best. Really hoping that maybe there's some updates that might cure this problem. Any expert advice?

(forgot to mention that the puck was properly activated by a dealer from the get go)
Old 04-28-2016, 06:12 PM
Banned

Correct way is to turn on BT on your phone before you unlock/open/wake up car's control modules. Then it will connect 100% every time. I have 2 in my cars since 2008 and if I follow that route I never have an issue.

The BT puck only looks for a phone for 30 seconds and the BT stack has to be fully initialized on the phone or it will fail. That's why I said turn it on before you approach the car.

Unfortunately there are no updates. I wish there would be one for a few minor things that bug me.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by Mackhack
Correct way is to turn on BT on your phone before you unlock/open/wake up car's control modules. Then it will connect 100% every time. I have 2 in my cars since 2008 and if I follow that route I never have an issue.

The BT puck only looks for a phone for 30 seconds and the BT stack has to be fully initialized on the phone or it will fail. That's why I said turn it on before you approach the car.

Unfortunately there are no updates. I wish there would be one for a few minor things that bug me.
Thanks for the quick response. I rarely think to turn on my Bluetooth until it's too late. Darn frustrating, but I get the sense that the puck with tail was always a bandaid for relatively small production period of the W211.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Why don't you just leave it on? has very little impact on battery on all modern phones.

One trick i do when my phone is in the house and I start the car or something is just unhook the puck for a second and then when it reconnects it will look for your phone again. Your system is different so don't know if that would work.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:04 PM
Banned

2 different systems. You can disconnect the cradle. We cannot disconnect the puck that simple. The cable (tail) goes into the false floor of the arm rest and is plugged in there and connects to the analog TeleAid system.

I wouldn't call the puck a bandaid but rather a low cost solution.

Also bear in mind the puck was developed in the early 2000's.