E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Buying 04 E500 - few questions on maintenance etc.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
Buying 04 E500 - few questions on maintenance etc.

Hey guys I am buying an 04 E500 fully loaded

Navi, sports package, cold weather, upgraded sound. Really excited. The car has 34,500 miles and warranty is good till 1/08.

I will be getting an extended later on this year.

I am buying from a dealer but not a MB dealer, and I don';t know the previous owner. My question is what is Mercedes maintence program for the E500.

Like I said the car has 34,500 miles.

Where there any big services (brakes, filter changes, etc)

basically what im asking is with the car having 34,500 miles.. what should have been done not long ago, and what is the next thing needed.

Also is this stuff free, i heard there is a free maintenance program.. does this apply to me.

Thanks for any help

Regards,
Mike
Old 05-24-2007, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
Originally Posted by 32AMGracing
Hey guys I am buying an 04 E500 fully loaded

Navi, sports package, cold weather, upgraded sound. Really excited. The car has 34,500 miles and warranty is good till 1/08.

I will be getting an extended later on this year.

I am buying from a dealer but not a MB dealer, and I don';t know the previous owner. My question is what is Mercedes maintence program for the E500.

basically what im asking is with the car having 34,500 miles.. what should have been done not long ago, and what is the next thing needed.

Also is this stuff free, i heard there is a free maintenance program.. does this apply to me.

Thanks for any help

Regards,
Mike
Hi Mike
I am not sure about the extended warranty for the none original owner.
here in Canada , MB cancelled the extended warranty offers for none original owners as of last year november.
The airmatic gave me some problems around 70k ,other then that it is a great car.
Good luck!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
The "DIC" "Driver Information Center", the display in the speedo, will tell you what service is needed and when, whenever service is needed. It tells you this when you start the car each time... If service is needed. If not, you get whatever display you select to display.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,412 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
basically what im asking is with the car having 34,500 miles.. what should have been done not long ago, and what is the next thing needed. Also is this stuff free, i heard there is a free maintenance program.. does this apply to me.
MBUSA original warranty: 48 months / 50,000 miles whichever comes first.

MBUSA extended warranty: Not available, only original owners may purchase extended coverage for 2005 and newer vehicles. http://www.mbusa.com/care/warranty/extended-limited.do

MBUSA free basic maintenance: Same as warranty period (48/50,000) and includes oil change and other maintenance items identified in your Service booklet or intervals determined by the Flexible Service System (FSS) upon display as Barry mentioned. Brakes and wipers are not covered. https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/92554-service-e-class-211-usa.html

Extended warranty: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/195026-price-you-re-paying-your-extended-warranty.html

Confirm with a local MB dealer that ALL recalls and Service Campaigns applicable to your vehicle have been performed. Simple phone call, have your VIN handy. https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/145960-w211-recalls.html
Old 05-24-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy

To add what Barry mentioned, you can expect things like air filters (50-60Kmi intervals), dust filter (30Kmi intervals), fuel filter (50-60Kmi intervals), activated charcoal unit (if equipped, 50-60Kmi intervals), replace brake fluid (every 2 yrs regardless of mileage) and possible brake work.

Looks like you have a little way to go before doing anything big. These cars do wear out brakes depending on a person's driving habits, or in your case, the previous owner's. I suggest that you visually check the brakes (when you rotate the tires) to determine pad life. The car does have the computer tell you when the 50% pad sensor has tripped and that would be shown as a "+" sign after the lettered service indication in the display (Barry's post).

Good luck with the car, and I'm sure you'll enjoy driving it!

Regards,

paul...
Old 05-24-2007, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
What kind of a deal did you negotiate?
Old 05-24-2007, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
What kind of a deal did you negotiate?
$34,500

loaded every option - alabaster white. 32,500 miles. Brand new OEM tires. Body is perfect except for a light scratch near gas tank, its hardly noticeable other then that its perfect. In service date was 4/21/04 so I have 11 months remaining on factory warranty or 17k miles.

so what is this, I can't purchase extended warranty? I am the 2nd owner. its a 1 owner off lease and i am buying from a high end dealership (ferraris, bmw mercedes, rolls royce, bentley, masserati, etc.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
$34,500

loaded every option - alabaster white. 32,500 miles. Brand new OEM tires. Body is perfect except for a light scratch near gas tank, its hardly noticeable other then that its perfect. In service date was 4/21/04 so I have 11 months remaining on factory warranty or 17k miles.

so what is this, I can't purchase extended warranty? I am the 2nd owner. its a 1 owner off lease and i am buying from a high end dealership (ferraris, bmw mercedes, rolls royce, bentley, masserati, etc.
Have you executed this deal? You should have got them to include a comprehensive 100K/7 year warranty at that price. Yes, MB has added a stipulation that only the original owner can extend the warranty for 2005 and newer models. Most likely this has been done to increase their CPO sales through MB dealerships.

In the future, if you plan to get an extended warranty from the dealer, first negotiate the price of the car and then don't sign on the dotted line until you get a good price for the extended warranty. This gives you a little bit more extra leverage on the cost of the extended warranty. Also your salesperson might even help you because he/she wouldn't want to loose out on his commission for the car because the finance people didn't give you a good deal on the warranty. Comprehensive extended warranties go for around $3.5-4.5K. You should be able to negotiate about 500 off the cost of the warranty. Especially if the dealership knows that the you purchasing the car is contingent on that!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Have you executed this deal? You should have got them to include a comprehensive 100K/7 year warranty at that price. Yes, MB has added a stipulation that only the original owner can extend the warranty for 2005 and newer models. Most likely this has been done to increase their CPO sales through MB dealerships.

In the future, if you plan to get an extended warranty from the dealer, first negotiate the price of the car and then don't sign on the dotted line until you get a good price for the extended warranty. This gives you a little bit more extra leverage on the cost of the extended warranty. Also your salesperson might even help you because he/she wouldn't want to loose out on his commission for the car because the finance people didn't give you a good deal on the warranty. Comprehensive extended warranties go for around $3.5-4.5K. You should be able to negotiate about 500 off the cost of the warranty. Especially if the dealership knows that the you purchasing the car is contingent on that!

not buying from an MB dealership... and i called 2 benz dealers in my area, I can get an extended warranty when mine is up. They are sending me literature. My car is a 2004, not 2005
Old 05-25-2007, 10:57 AM

2007 CLS550 Designo; 2009 Mini Cooper; 2011 BMW 335d
I bought my '04 E500 used from a MB dealer, and I wasn't able to purchase an OEM Mercedes extended warranty. It is only available to the first owner. 3rd party warranties are available, though. Enjoy it, it surely is a great car. Mine still brings me a smile every time I drive it.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by locomercedes
I bought my '04 E500 used from a MB dealer, and I wasn't able to purchase an OEM Mercedes extended warranty. It is only available to the first owner. 3rd party warranties are available, though. Enjoy it, it surely is a great car. Mine still brings me a smile every time I drive it.

Where are you located because I called 2 dealers saying I am the 2nd owner, and the factory warranty is still in affect. They said when it nears end call and get an extended warranty if I choose. The 1 place I spoke with the rep is sending me literature on prices and everything...

I am lost
Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 AM

2003 E500 and 2014 GL550
I have 2 E500s, 03 and 04. I have no prob with the 03, currently has 140k miles, but my 04 had airmatic issues and fuel leak problm. It drives great though other than those 2 issues. The 04 has 77k miles... Extended warranty is highly recommended. E500s are fun to drive! Good luck!

Last edited by AZTIG MB; 01-28-2013 at 02:25 AM.