E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

CDI/Bluetec owners with Kleemann KD-Box ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2007 | 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
CDI/Bluetec owners with Kleemann KD-Box ??

Any feedback from owners of E320 CDI or E320 Bluetec who have installed
a Kleemann KD-Box would be most welcome.

What improvements in performance have you noticed ?

What effect, if any, has this mod had on your fuel economy ?

Was the cost of the KD-Box worth it ?

Any concerns about impact on factory warranty ?

Many thanks !
Old 06-23-2007 | 01:07 AM

'08 CL63
Here are my impressions with a 2005 E320 CDI after about 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted by DerekACS
What improvements in performance have you noticed ?
Big gains in power & responsiveness. Much greater power & hookup off the line.

What effect, if any, has this mod had on your fuel economy ?
For the most part, it's been a little worse. However, I will attribute most of it to the fact that I enjoy the greater power & tend to be a little heavier with my foot. FWIW, on long trips I've seen equal or improved mileage. On a 1600 mile round trip last fall I averaged about 34-36 mpg with an average speed of about 75mph. I'm sure I could do better at 65.

Was the cost of the KD-Box worth it ?
To me, yes. Personally, I wouldn't keep the car without it. (I was happy before I got it though, I'm just spoiled now)

Any concerns about impact on factory warranty ?
A few. After doing it twice, I can remove or install it in about 15 minutes. I don't send it in for service without returning it back to factory. The first time install took about 45-50 minutes.
Old 06-26-2007 | 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by Andy0331
Here are my impressions with a 2005 E320 CDI after about 10,000 miles.
Many thanks for sharing your impressions .
Old 06-27-2007 | 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
A few. After doing it twice, I can remove or install it in about 15 minutes. I don't send it in for service without returning it back to factory. The first time install took about 45-50 minutes.
The use of any chip, or modification can be detected even if it has been removed, not that anyone would deny having modified their engine.

It is a good idea to either remove it prior to servicing, or let technicians know the vehicle has been modified, otherwise electrical gizzmo's (technical jargon) might get reset.

Regards
John
from Sunny Torquay
Old 06-29-2007 | 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
+'s
more power
much more fun to drive
1-3mpg increase
can easily be removed/installed in 30+/- minutes
Dealer will not know unless you tell them, as it is placed after the computer.

-'s
some smoke under hard acceleration for more that 5 seconds
Old 06-29-2007 | 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KosherBenz
+'s
more power
much more fun to drive
1-3mpg increase
can easily be removed/installed in 30+/- minutes
Dealer will not know unless you tell them, as it is placed after the computer.

-'s
some smoke under hard acceleration for more that 5 seconds
I agree the dealer might not be able to tell, but if the engine is damaged and the owner tries to claim for a new engine because they have not had the courage to accept the consequences of their own decisions? Then here in the UK, Mercedes-Benz will send an engineer to the dealership, connect a computer to the vehicle and get a complete readout of the engines history.,

I love posts where video in motion is engaged and engines are chipped, yet the instant things go wrong these owners instantly go into deceit mode. Why not have the courage of your convictions, if we believe the chip will not cause damage, then leave it installed, don't lie about it.

I would highly recommend you inform the service department that the car is chipped because when the car comes in for servicing they will always install the latest service upgrades which might conflict, or cause problems with the chip programming.

John
Old 06-29-2007 | 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
i fully agree that one should be responsibile for your own actions but my point is the KD box is not detectable as it is put "in line" after the computer. My service tech/manager at the dealer could not detect my box at all with any of their diagnostic tools, even when it was still on the car. Other "chips" for the CDI, plug into the port under the dash, and they tie into the computer so they will be detectable.
Old 06-29-2007 | 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i fully agree that one should be responsibile for your own actions but my point is the KD box is not detectable as it is put "in line" after the computer. My service tech/manager at the dealer could not detect my box at all with any of their diagnostic tools, even when it was still on the car. Other "chips" for the CDI, plug into the port under the dash, and they tie into the computer so they will be detectable.
I think we must respect what each other are trying to say. I fully agree that dealership equipment is either unlikely to detect, or are incapable of detecting whether a chip has been installed, but our engines are built to perform within a specified degree of parameters.

A high performance chip improves the engine output, it is this change in performance that the Mercedes-Benz engineer has the equipment that will show this. These are highly qualified engineers that have the hardware that prints off a tropical forest quntity of paper that contains reams of valuable\useless information. I am not exaggarating when I say they print off dozens and dozens of pages that disclose numerous very interesting facts.

A dealer does not hace access to this equipment and the only time it is usually used is when an out of the ordinary warranty claim is submitted. These diesel engines are absolutely bullet proof and any defective one will attract lots of attention.

As you might guess I am not a great fan of chipping an engine, but I respect those that do and am always interested in the benefits. Having said that, if I wanted performance, then I would go the AMG route

Kind regards
John from sunny Torquay
Old 06-30-2007 | 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
May not need the KD-Box

Hi Derek, I took delivery of my new E320 Bluetec last evening and what can I say..it is awesome. I drove 220 miles over three hours on it yesterday and I can tell you, that car can move without pushing it. I should personally be banned from any more power. I noticed my vehicle appears to have an updated or improved gear shift programming from the one I test drove at the dealership; zero turbo lag, great power band from 0 to 100+mph.
As to why I took the car on an unintended 220 mile test drive, is another story my wife and son were with me and were I will admit to my stupidity in another thread. I am now going to read the manuals and post pictures later.
Where can I order a Kleemann KD-Box from?
Vim
Old 06-30-2007 | 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by glojo
I think we must respect what each other are trying to say. I fully agree that dealership equipment is either unlikely to detect, or are incapable of detecting whether a chip has been installed, but our engines are built to perform within a specified degree of parameters.

A high performance chip improves the engine output, it is this change in performance that the Mercedes-Benz engineer has the equipment that will show this. These are highly qualified engineers that have the hardware that prints off a tropical forest quntity of paper that contains reams of valuable\useless information. I am not exaggarating when I say they print off dozens and dozens of pages that disclose numerous very interesting facts.

A dealer does not hace access to this equipment and the only time it is usually used is when an out of the ordinary warranty claim is submitted. These diesel engines are absolutely bullet proof and any defective one will attract lots of attention.

As you might guess I am not a great fan of chipping an engine, but I respect those that do and am always interested in the benefits. Having said that, if I wanted performance, then I would go the AMG route

Kind regards
John from sunny Torquay
Dear John:

I traded in my 1999 E55 for a 2006 E320 CDi and I want a tuning box. The Carlsson or Kleemann boxes seem to increase the torque and power of the engine within certain parameters (240 bhp and 420 foot pound) without harming the engine. The driver of the modified car can have his cake and eat it. More power and economy.

The kind of modification you seem to disagree with is the American diesel truck modification which is so popular now in NA. The Ford Powerstroke (6.4 liter twin turbo V-8), the GM Duramax (6.6 liter single turbo V-8) and the Dodge Cummins (5.9 liter single turbo straight 6). All these monster engines come standard with over 300 bhp and 600 foot pound. Yet their owners find the engines wanting and there are aftermarket chippers that can add another hundred or two to the horsepower and torque numbers. They blow thick black smoke and are so cool. Losers like Al Gore will love the global cooling effects.
Old 06-30-2007 | 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Long time Kosh

When the car is out of warranty there is no need to hide anymore. I had a long drive last night and got 29 mpg at 60-70 mph most of the time. High speed highway cruising is the strongest point for a turbo diesel.

I am waiting a little longer to do the box as I just had warranty work done to a leaky intake O ring (replaced) and feel vulnerable. The power is OK though a 20% increase is better.

I was also looking at a Shelby 500GT but the stupid guy told me I had to pony (!) up $20,000 over list. I laughed so hard the manager was going to toss me out of the showroom.
Old 06-30-2007 | 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is Mao "say-dung" living in America?

That is why I like to drive a car from the 1970s or 1980s. No electronic policemen living in your engine. No records of terminal speeds at crash. No limiter. Just mega displacement low tech V-8s with lots of power and no check engine lights (90% of the time due to emission control malfunctions in late model cars).

There is also the much loved On-Star touted by GM. These things can be used to track your whereabouts, the speed you are travelling and your conversation in the car.

Next the police only has to recover the data at road tax offices by tapping into your computer and charging you for speed violations. Fines will be payable by garnishment of your salary if you do not have a credit card.

The joys of technology and the permanent loss of privacy. The totalitarian government of Mao had died and gone to the USA.
Old 06-30-2007 | 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by harkgar
The kind of modification you seem to disagree with is the American diesel truck modification which is so popular now in NA.
Hi Harkgar,
I certainly do not DISLIKE a sensible modification to the CDI engines, I do however have issues with anyone that carries out a modification and then deliberately attempts to deceive a manufacturer IF things go wrong. No one likes the thought of being swindled and I always treat folks how I would like to be treated.

Your second point about diesel engines being modified and blow out thick black smoke...... In the UK this is a big no, no. If the vehicle was a truck, then it would have an enforcement notice slapped on it and would instantly be off the road until the fault was rectified. The days of our lorries\buses etc billowing out any type of smoky exhaust are a thing of the past. We do however sometimes see this at truck racing events although even there it is the exception??

Old 06-30-2007 | 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Harkgar,
I certainly do not DISLIKE a sensible modification to the CDI engines, I do however have issues with anyone that carries out a modification and then deliberately attempts to deceive a manufacturer IF things go wrong. No one likes the thought of being swindled and I always treat folks how I would like to be treated.

Your second point about diesel engines being modified and blow out thick black smoke...... In the UK this is a big no, no. If the vehicle was a truck, then it would have an enforcement notice slapped on it and would instantly be off the road until the fault was rectified. The days of our lorries\buses etc billowing out any type of smoky exhaust are a thing of the past. We do however sometimes see this at truck racing events although even there it is the exception??

In the UK you also have speed cameras everywhere (I was in Sheffield and London in 2004) though they advertise the fact. Close circuit TVs are everywhere too. This would not have been possible in the USA as they have this thing called privacy. George W got whipped for tapping Al Kar Kar suspects.

At least you got your terrorists.
Old 06-30-2007 | 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by harkgar
At least you got your terrorists.
Hi hark,
At the present time that remark doesn't travel very well.

Regards
John
Old 07-01-2007 | 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congrats!! The British are always so low keyed

Hi hark,

Regards
John
If the Sheriff gets his man the man gets the noose. Hang em high.

That was 100 years ago. Now the ambulance chasers will get them out of Git Mo and set them free with psycho councilling at tax payers expense. You had the "Hook" who sponged off the UK citizens too. Glad he was hanged. By the short and curlies I hope.
Old 07-01-2007 | 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

send Bondo, James Bondo

Hi hark,

Regards
John
He was very effective in fixing Gold Fine and the evil Dr Low Life.
Old 07-01-2007 | 04:28 AM

'08 CL63
Hi Harkgar,

I agree with you, I have the mod & am personally willing to accept "some" consequences for my actions.

My issue is that it isn't uncommon for a dealer to dispute ANY warranty work if you have a modification. This varies from dealership to dealership & isn't legal, but you still may have a fight on your hands.

If I damage the engine by driving like a madman with a tuner, I understand. But when my stereo craps itself & they plug in the computer & attempt to blame the modifications; well thats just trying to swindle a customer as well.
Old 07-01-2007 | 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree with you, I have the mod & am personally willing to accept "some" consequences for my actions.

My issue is that it isn't uncommon for a dealer to dispute ANY warranty work if you have a modification. This varies from dealership to dealership & isn't legal, but you still may have a fight on your hands.

If I damage the engine by driving like a madman with a tuner, I understand. But when my stereo craps itself & they plug in the computer & attempt to blame the modifications; well thats just trying to swindle a customer as well.
I am not so honest - just do not have the ***** to do it before the warranty runs out. What is the USA standard MB warranty?