E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Did Anyone Get Perma Plate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 S550
Did Anyone Get Perma Plate?

I still don't have my car; I'm about to give up.

When I bought the car I was actually out to get lunch and got the E500 instead. I had a client coming to the office and I was trying to get out of there, so when the Business Manager began asking about Perma Plate, LoJack, the extended warrenty, etc., I said it all sounded fine - I just needed to get back to the office.

This Perma Plate is supposed to protect the finish and leather and carpet. They said something about having 50-something pounds of paint on the car, and I though it probably needed protecting. This was before I read all the Zaino threads this weekend. 'Course I've never tried to really detail a car myself, but I guess I could give it a try. That claying thing sounds difficult, though.

Any info is appreciated.

Chris
Old 10-15-2002, 12:20 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Why would you need LoJack? My understanding is that LoJack function is built into the car by default using the TeleAid service. If you subscribe to TeleAid (free the 1st year and about $200 each year afterwards), then if your car is stolen, you report to the police and then contact TeleAid. TeleAid will locate the car via the GPS receivers built into the vehicle and will inform police of the location.

In fact, the dealer in Austin told me a story about selling a S-class vehicle to a customer and his $80K check bounced after a few days. They reported it and TeleAid told the location of the car to the police and had him caught in 7 minutes.

Seems like this dealer is selling you stuff you may not need...I still am not convinced about the wood shifter...we will find out by the weekend when bmms8 gets his car.....finally....
Old 10-15-2002, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
lol, yea, ill check, dealer said he thinks there is wood on backof shifter, but hes not sure
Old 10-15-2002, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
It was a thread regarding LoJack explaining that TeleAid working only when engine on, and if car garaged nobody can locate it. LoJack allows to locate car regarding that. I'd recommend to search for this thread.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:12 AM

2013 S550
Thanks, Dema. I dd do the search. Actually, I already had a comfort level with the LoJack system. Like the posters in some of the other threads, I did receive an additional insurance discount bringing the total to 25%, and it is my understanding that the tracking system uses a different transmission system then Tele-Aid. I was told that LoJack can "see" the car several levels down in an underground parking garage where Tele-Aid cannot. I can see from the LoJack site that if you lived in Wyoming or somewhere with less coverage area it may not be such a good investment.

As long as no one has anything negative to say about Perma Plate I'll be okay with it also. It was actually the only thing for which I could talk them into giving me a discount!

Chris
Old 10-15-2002, 07:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 CLS 550
PermaPlate, paint protector, Clear Bra, undercoating, fabric protector, carpert protector, extended warranties or any add ones from the dealer are ridiculously priced and absolutely not worth it. The 'Finance Manger' sells the stuff AND gets a commission. Assuming you feel the need to get some of these things, get them somewhere else for much less than half the price.

THEY GIVE YOU THE DISCOUNT BECAUSE THEY MAKE SO MUCH MONEY ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not for MB, but here are some typical "Extras" at Closing

Rust Proofing Your Price $800 / Dealer Cost $40
Extended Warranty $1200 / $300
Fabric Protector $300 / $5
Car Alarm $400 / $100
Paint Sealant $300 / $10
Credit Life Insurance $200 / $30
Detailing/Pin striping $299 / $30
Total of Extras: $3499 / $515
Total added to your monthly payment on a 36 month loan $97

Read the whole thing but go to this link immediately and look about 3/4s down the page!
http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car6.htm

This link covers every bad thing that dealer is trying to do to you!

PS - If you sales person wasnt a total SOB, he / she would have told you to say no before going in.

Last edited by skymast; 10-15-2002 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:57 PM

2003 MB E500
Thanks skymast. Very helpful post.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 ML320
Totally correct. Any of that add on crap is only geared to for suckers and is almost pure profit. Back in the 'old' days, cars did tend to rust and there was some value in rustproofing and the warranty that came with it. With todays paint technology you should NEVER see a problem with rust that wouldn't be a fluke and otherwise covered by your warranty.

The dealers who push this stuff should be ashamed of themselves and are what gives salesman a bad name.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:59 PM

Car Buying 101: the best salespeople in the system are the 'closers'.
They attack after you've already committed to buying and are all excited about driving off in your new ride. Of course you want to do everything possible to protect and enhance your new 'investment' right?
Paint protector, leather protector, anti-theft window etchings and alarms, etc.....

What a load of crap.

You can get ALL that stuff aftermarket for less. Much less.

I buy 2 new cars every 2-3 years and I don't even bother with these folks. I just tell them from their opening sentence that I'm not buying ANYTHING so don't waste <our> time.
They usually just move on at that point.

NEVER buy extras from the closers.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:14 PM

2013 S550
Okay. I knew going in that they would attempt to load stuff on at the end. Theoretically, I was on guard (kinda)

The LoJack thing I still believe was good.

The Perma Plate I always doubted, and really probably should have passed on. Especially knowing what I know now. This is the first car in quite a number of years of car buying that I have added an after market coating to. I just thought, "Hey, it's a Mercedes dealership..." rather than "Hey, it's a car dealership..."

The extended warranty. I'm not sure if I'll keep the car 2 years or 7 years. I paid $2380 for the 7yr/100,000 mile warranty. Seemed like a lot, but after having drinks with the Service Manager of a competing dealership many years ago at a local bar, I remembered Mercedes repairs can be expensive. One repair would pay for that warranty. Again, how much is too much insurance? This being the very first of a new model year, I thought it a good buy.

So, still, in the final analysis, I think I should have passed on the Perma Plate. Heck, I still may be able to negotiate something there since I still don't have the car. But, other than that, I think the LoJack and Extended Warranty were worth it (unless I sell the car in a couple years).

But thanks for all the opinions. I obviously was insecure about the Perma Plate to have asked the question to begin with.

Regards,
Chris.

Last edited by ctouhey; 10-15-2002 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:22 PM

2003 MB E500
Okay but should we buy the perma plate?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:45 PM

C63
I dug this thread up as I was reading up on the PermaPlate that I bought for my new C-class. They said the treatment would cover any wear and tear for my interior and exterior. My mindset was that I was paying for the "warranty" aspect. AMG leather seats aren't cheap to replace...
Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Pay the lowest price you can get out of the dealer, say no to any add on crap and go home with your car. It's fine the way it came from the factory. Buy an ounce of gold with what you saved, at least you won't be throwing your money away.

"There's a sucker born every minute," -- PT Barnum, WC Fields, and the finance guy at the Mercedes dealership.