E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

chrome door protectors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chrome door protectors

Do you think that the chrome handle protectors would look good with a platinum blue exterior? I think it might look good, plus at least my door handles get lots of scratches on them (dont ask why, I cant tell either, I do have a remote after all.)

Also, anyone with a platinum blue exterior feel like posting some pictures? Also anyone with the sports package w/ ash interior?
Old 10-16-2002, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dunno about the protectors but here are two platinum blues:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=15972

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=17173
Old 04-01-2003, 03:56 PM

Just bought chrome protectors

I'd appreciate some feedback as well. I have not installed them yet. When I lay them in the handle pockets to see what they look like, they seem to look very good. However, I don't want to install them until I get some opinions.

I have a 2003 E500 Sport in Brilliant Silver. With this exterior color, the chrome is not too contrasting and seems to blend in extremely well.

I am more interested in some opinions that factor in wear on these pieces. Will they actually look worse than the painted surfaces over time? Is it a quality chrome product? I can't tell.

I am mindful that for the most part, we all treat our cars with great care. Just trying to figure out if I'll like them next month and will they last.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
we were about to buy the protectors, because even our car is scratchy in that area. the dealer said it was a waste of money, they sometimes fall off, and if looks like a hyaundai/infiniti. so we did opt for it
Old 04-05-2003, 10:53 PM

Chrome Door Handle Protectors

I just installed the chrome door handle protectors on my Brilliant Silver E500. I think they look great, particularly against the lighter colors (ie, silver, pewter, etc.).

I was very cautious to make sure the area was completely clean of previous wax and acrylic sealers, as others have noted some concern about them hanging on. So, I used Zymol HD-Cleanse, and then followed by wiping the area down with alchohol.

The parts are made of good quality and fit perfectly. Not tools required, however, you want to be careful not to scratch the areas when slipping them in behind the door handle. It is a tight fit.

Also, they mount via adhesive strips already attached to the back of the protectors (hence the importance of area preparation). There is no need to completely remove the protective backing before you slip them into place. As a matter of fact, this will only make it harder to accurately position the pieces as the adhesive strips grab rather quickly.

I partially removed the protective backing (about 1") and folded it so that I could easily grab on to it and pull it off when the pieces where in the correct postion.

I attached a picture for reference. The lighting in my garage makes the Brilliant Silver exterior appear more gold than in daylight.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:18 PM

SL550
Looks pretty good...

I always thought those would look tacky, but the picture proves me wrong. I plan to order my E500 in black, which might be a different story. I personally wouldn't spend the money on them, but they do blend in nicely with the silver.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
Thanks for posting the photo. I had thought about this but never saw it so decided against it. Sounds like it would be easy to add, and they look very nice.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
I have reservations if you were putting it on a unit with "sport package" as I imagine extra chrome parts would not blend well with the performance personality.

Since the photo seem to make the chrome guards look good with lighter colors, why not just wait till your door handles are scratched up before installing them. Hmm, just a thought.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:59 AM

Personally, I never considered them for 'protection'. I liked the slight accent they provide. I'm a big fan of silver and tasteful chrome pieces. I'm also looking forward to the addition of my AMG mufflers with single oval chrome tips.

That will be it. I promise. No bling here.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:13 AM

E500 Sport
If you want door handle "well" protection.... there's another choice. In the Clear Bra Kit I ordered from Stongard, was 4 door handle well peices. Covers the same areas as the chrome piece does in the photo. Only difference, you can't see mine. So for those concerned with chrome on Dark colors, the 3M clear bra might be your answer. Mark