E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Fiber optic line severed... help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500, 2019 S560
CSUMT76 rocks and knows what he is talking about - trust him with my car !!!

There are goons in some shops - but to date, CSUMT76 has been right on with every diagnosis on my car !
Old 07-20-2007, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by SushDawg
With fiber you can have multiple strands and not knowing what to fix and connect to could be an issue. Safer to replace the required length. If its just the navigation found some electrical diagrams relating to the Navigation (Navigation System PE82.85-U-2005DA). Last 2 refers to the optical layout of the MOST Bus (MOST Bus PE82.00-U-2710DA).

Hope this helps ...

The navigation drive is generally connected optically to the phone kit and audio-gateway. The cost of the replacement cable is generally trivial.

Finding someone who knows what to do is probably the hardest part.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Originally Posted by benzmodz
The navigation drive is generally connected optically to the phone kit and audio-gateway. The cost of the replacement cable is generally trivial.

Finding someone who knows what to do is probably the hardest part.
I think I went over this in my previous post. An adapter cable is installed into the audio gateway and the pin removed from the gateway is placed into the empty slot of the adapter.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:13 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by no_clue
Seriously, can I have the true story behind this?

*Someone broke in for ONLY DVD drive.

*No insurance claim. (you started w/ someone stole it recently. Later you claimed it was broken before you bought it)

*Airomatic was broken. You love to race w/ BMW. (it also sound like you own it for a while)

I am sorry that I can't help you w/ the cable thingy, but it does drive me crazy when things been told doesn't quite adds up? (blame it on my idiot cousin who is in the Feds)
Okay here is the real story... I stole the car and really want my GPS/NAV working so I can steal more???

okok.... here is my recent life in a nutshell since you insist... I am a 22 (will be 23 in five days) year old realtor (...enjoy long walks on the beach) and have recently decided to not burn so much fuel and waste so much money on gas. The business was great my first three years and has been slow for the past few months. I have made a conscious decision to be more economical so I was wanting to trade in my 2006 Range Rover for a sedan. I like german cars, I race BMW's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbl-p9BDnBM, here is proof.) and respect good engineering. I decided to look for an e class, I wanted sport pack and something with very low miles. I found an '05 with 15k miles for 33k. I thought wow, what a good deal whats the catch. I drove to pick it up/inspect it, then found all of the problems (command not working). I then decided to take it to the MB dealer in Bellevue, Wa. I talked with over five so called experts and decided that if the price was right I couldnt pass it up, besides, I like projects. I walked away paying only $26k, go ahead hate. Now tell me I made a bad buy and that it is the end of the world.

I later found that the car was going to be four times more to fix. Now it looks as though the dealer in Bellevue is going to get it done for just a bit more than he accidentally originally told me. :-) All is well that ends well.

Thanks for your concern,

James Michael Kirkham
www.jameskirkham.com
503/572.8027.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:26 AM

LS7 powered Corvette
Originally Posted by Kirkham
Okay here is the real story... I stole the car and really want my GPS/NAV working so I can steal more???

okok.... here is my recent life in a nutshell since you insist... I am a 22 (will be 23 in five days) year old realtor (...enjoy long walks on the beach) and have recently decided to not burn so much fuel and waste so much money on gas. The business was great my first three years and has been slow for the past few months. I have made a conscious decision to be more economical so I was wanting to trade in my 2006 Range Rover for a sedan. I like german cars, I race BMW's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbl-p9BDnBM, here is proof.) and respect good engineering. I decided to look for an e class, I wanted sport pack and something with very low miles. I found an '05 with 15k miles for 33k. I thought wow, what a good deal whats the catch. I drove to pick it up/inspect it, then found all of the problems (command not working). I then decided to take it to the MB dealer in Bellevue, Wa. I talked with over five so called experts and decided that if the price was right I couldnt pass it up, besides, I like projects. I walked away paying only $26k, go ahead hate. Now tell me I made a bad buy and that it is the end of the world.

I later found that the car was going to be four times more to fix. Now it looks as though the dealer in Bellevue is going to get it done for just a bit more than he accidentally originally told me. :-) All is well that ends well.

Thanks for your concern,

James Michael Kirkham
www.jameskirkham.com
503/572.8027.

I could fix it in my driveway in an hour or less.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by csumt76
I could fix it in my driveway in an hour or less.
I will meet you in 'USA' and lets get it fixed. I will pay you double the normal rate
Old 07-21-2007, 05:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
Okay, so there is NO break-in. That make sense now.

Anyway, I found Bellevue (Barrier) Mercedes really really terrible!!!!! * Even I live right across I-405 from it, I refuse to go back there again*

Go to Phil Smart Mercedes, downtown Seattle!!!!!
Couple month ago, I was on HID project. I went to Barrier ask them to reprogram my "HID present"!
Two of SA and two "CHIEF" technician told me, they never heard of such thing!!!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 03:21 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by no_clue
Okay, so there is NO break-in. That make sense now.

Anyway, I found Bellevue (Barrier) Mercedes really really terrible!!!!! * Even I live right across I-405 from it, I refuse to go back there again*

Go to Phil Smart Mercedes, downtown Seattle!!!!!
Couple month ago, I was on HID project. I went to Barrier ask them to reprogram my "HID present"!
Two of SA and two "CHIEF" technician told me, they never heard of such thing!!!!!
Thanks for the advice, I will check them out. I wish our dealerships down here weren't owned/ran by the same people. Seems like a monopoly.

There was a break in, just not while it was in my possession. Some idiot DID break the window and cut a hole just to get the nav drive. What a fool huh?
Old 07-22-2007, 03:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....

I am sure money is no object for most people here.
But.. instead spending so much for something that doesnt' hold its investment value, you might want to look into my other post.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&highlight=GPS

I also has detail GPS review over at ..
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=91508
Old 07-22-2007, 12:02 PM

2001 E320
ohh and the worst part of all of this, the airmatic controls do not work and the car is stuck in comfort! I race BMW touring cars and am an avid fan. I love the feel of the road, which I get in Sport mode. This is my first Benz, which I love, but it now rides like a Cadillac. My girlfriend complains of getting car sick. :-)
Maybe you can use this as a time to trade-in?
Old 07-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Almost a Member!

OKOK SO I am almost there... I think. Help!

So I got the car apart and began feeling around and getting familiar with the MOST routing. I do not have NAV nor SAT for the time being therefore I decided that cutting the two out would be the easiest and most efficient option.

I took the extra FO cable and used it to route from the yellow input leading to where the nav was to the audio gateway where the nav used to go. It is now a complete circuit. I expected the command unit to turn on as soon as I turned the key however it did not?? It is more responsive though (ie. when I hit the audio button the benz logo shows up as opposed to before when it was only when I hit the power button).

What else would I need to do? Is there more to removing OE Nav that just re routing the fiber optics?

HELP. The car is taken apart in my driveway and I want to get it working so bad.

Thanks very much,

James
Old 07-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Did you guys give up on me?? :-)

So I was double checking my work to try and figure out why it is still not working. I can't stop thinking about it.

I know that the correct loop would be from my tele aid to my AGW. However the unit I thought was teleaid doesnt even look like it has any place for the fiber optics to go. The place where I connected the new cable is right in front of the teleaid but it doesnt acutally go into the teleaid. I thought the teleaid was the unit in the middle of the back tray? The are two other empty spots, what is supposed to go there?

Help, don't give up on me.

Thanks,

James
Old 07-24-2007, 02:32 AM
Almost a Member!

I think I have stumped the forum...

I challenge you to help me!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 246 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Didn't you change the MOST configuration, a new device or a previously existing one taken off? Then MOST would need to be re-configured. I believe it would need a dealer visit and DAS programming.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Almost a Member!

hmmm maybe I will give that a try, I hope it works.

Thanks,

James
Old 07-24-2007, 02:47 PM

LS7 powered Corvette
Does the sound work.. If so, you have a complete and locked MOST ring. However, since the AGW is still coded that NAV is present it takes extra time at startup atttempting to wake up the NAV processor.. This first happens electrically and when no response is seen, an optical wakeup signal is sent. Then, it will assume normal operation b/c the two components before/after the NAV will buff it out if you know what I'm saying.

In this case, you need DAS version coding. If the sound does not work, the most cable are not connected properly.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by csumt76
Does the sound work.. If so, you have a complete and locked MOST ring. However, since the AGW is still coded that NAV is present it takes extra time at startup atttempting to wake up the NAV processor.. This first happens electrically and when no response is seen, an optical wakeup signal is sent. Then, it will assume normal operation b/c the two components before/after the NAV will buff it out if you know what I'm saying.

In this case, you need DAS version coding. If the sound does not work, the most cable are not connected properly.
It is not doing anything except showing me the MB logo. Gosh, so I think it just needs to be connected from the teleaid to the AGW. Do you have a pic of teleaid and where fiber optics enter teleaid? The one piece of equipment in the back tray doesnt appear to have any fiber optics running through it.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
Fiber can be repaired but is difficult to get the correct connectors. I would first see which cables are cut and replace that strand only.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:58 PM

LS7 powered Corvette
It is not doing anything except showing me the MB logo. Gosh, so I think it just needs to be connected from the teleaid to the AGW. Do you have a pic of teleaid and where fiber optics enter teleaid? The one piece of equipment in the back tray doesnt appear to have any fiber optics running through it.
Put the car back to the way it was. You are s.o.l. unless you repair or replace the cable that entered pin one of the nav connector. The other cable(pin 2) will lead to pin one of the AGW connector... if you take apart the connector at AGW and remove that piece of cable it can be discarded. Then you will need to trace the remaining broken fiber cable, repair or replace it and plug it into pin 1 of the AGW.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Still no resolution. I need your help.

I have tried everything! Still no radio or nav or anything tied to the most loop. It is very frustrating. I am beginning to think it will never work.

I just finished replacing both fiber optic cables, wiring up the new NAV drive and getting everything how it was. Still nothing???? The DVD drive powers up but the command still does nothing. No CD changer power or anything. Which fuse goes to it? Do you think I need to have the system reset via STAR? Any ideas? I miss my music so bad.

Thanks in advance!

James

Last edited by Kirkham; 08-31-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
I have tried everything! Still no radio or nav or anything tied to the most loop. It is very frustrating. I am beginning to think it will never work.

I just finished replacing both fiber optic cables, wiring up the new NAV drive and getting everything how it was. Still nothing???? The DVD drive powers up but the command still does nothing. No CD changer power or anything. Which fuse goes to it? Do you think I need to have the system reset via STAR? Any ideas? I miss my music so bad.

Thanks in advance!

James
Perhaps the command unit is dead. I would certainly let the dealer put it on the Startrek machine and see what they find.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:22 PM

2003 E320 Blue
OK I own a fiber fuser, well my work does.
I fuse fiber all the time.
It is no big deal it takes about 5-10 min per fuse.
Buy from MB any patch cable that has the same connector end needed for you NAV. I will cut off one end and fuse the remaining patch cable and connector to the cut end of the cable. No big deal!!
My Sumitomo Type-25S needs about 8 in of free cable to work with.
All you need to do is drive the car to Grand Canyon AZ and I will fix it.
If the cable lingth is not avalable there is are other solutions I just need to know the type of fiber used. It is problably Multimode. I could put on a unicam connector with only 4 in of avalable cable.

Hope this helps
Mike
Old 09-06-2007, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 246 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
It isn't strange that fibre can be joined, but if one would have start with any fibre from MB, why would one do additional work on that, just use it as it comes from MB as a spare part, if it is too long, can leave the rest in the car.

I would agree on reading the codes with star diagnosis.

By the way, putting the installation "back to what it was" would mean the previous installation would need to be known. In this case it was not sure to me at least if the installation and programming was as from factory. Another reason to visit the star diagnosis computer.