MOST of You Will HATE Me For This!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
‘08 E-350 Sport, C6 Vette & Harley Davidson
MOST of You Will HATE Me For This!!

I’m really going to catch hell for this. BUT, I decided to just go ahead and
express my opinion anyway. Fortunately ... you don’t know my house No.

I think that the E-Class is overpriced! (Oh my God Martha, this is the BIG
one!)

When I think of ALL the other models, American and, Especially Japanese
that are the size of the E - and with BETTER ELECTRONICS - it makes me
question.

Some years ago it could be argued that MB had far superior quality - and
reliability. This - added to the great MB handling - made the ‘higher price’
more justifiable.

But, today, it’s different. From my perception there seems one remaining
proclamation that gets repeated over and over as the “Total justification”
for buying a MB: “Nothing handles like a Benz.”

I can’t refute that ... because I haven’t driven every new car on the road.
But, speaking logically just how bad can all the other 2008 models drive?
Just how long can this “maybe outdated” slogan authenticate MB? I pride
myself in being fairly expert in marketing. Good snappy one-line slogans
have always been powerful. Way before most of you were born, Cadillac
had the slogan “there are no prohibitive hills for the Cadillac.” Now, that
was pretty good. However, I haven’t noticed that claim in recent Cadillac
ads. Time marches on in the auto industry.

I’m prepared for the following love responses:

1. MB is STILL the best handling car on the road.
2. If I love the Japanese cars so much, why don’t I just buy one and shut
up! (Probably the all-time favorite.)
3. What makes ME such an expert?

But, I could be misunderstood: I LOVE my new E-350 Sport! It’s just that
as a fella who is close to his wallet, I think they are overpriced!

Love & Kisses,

jimm

==========

‘08 E350 Sport, P2, Black/black, Parktronic,
Voice, Bluetooth, Burl Walnut, Split rear seat,
Wood/leather steering wheel

Last edited by jimm; 08-18-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:29 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Why should anyone hate you for expressing an articulate and reasonable opinion? We're only talking about cars here, not the Big Questions of human existence.

I do have to disagree that M-B sells its cars principally on the basis of handling, unless by "handling" you include ride. BMW has had a lock on handling in the luxury market for some time now and that's not likely to change. M-B has justified itself on a combination of ride, safety, quality (in the sense of materials and assembly, if not reliability) and engineering. I believe that the price of an M-B can be justified on the basis of those factors, although the value that you get with any car does not go up in proportion to its price (for example, a $60,000 E-Class is not twice as much car as a $30,000 Camry or Accord). Different cars within a given price range also have their particular strengths. There is nothing wrong with M-B's under-the-hood electronics, but if having the latest in entertainment electronics is important, then Japanese is indeed the way to go. There are no perfect cars (the Lexus LS is close, but it's uninvolving) and so you have to make the tradeoffs in whatever way suits you.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:14 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Not hating on you at all. It's just the free market at work. I happen to agree with you on one level. If you don't mind FWD the new Camry is a helluva car for basic transportation.

If you only compare features/specs/performance then many things are overpriced.

Look at the new Corvette - the new Z06 is unbelievably fast - in a straight line/braking and cornering. For the money it simply cannot be beat - period.

I just bought a 997 C2S. A driver with the same skill level w/ a C6 Z06 will wax me the next time I go to the track but other factors involved led me to the Porsche.

I paid more to get a slower car (with less than state of the art electronics) but for me the overall package was a no brainer.

I love the full leather interior - the bark of the Porsche Sport Exhaust - the really nice rear end - the steering feel that is 2nd to none - the classic shape and the fact that I have wanted a 911 for many, many years now. All of these things contributed.

Fancy watches are just the same - you can get way more for less - but with watches (at least for me) it 's purely jewelry. I never use the chronograph functions on my watches - for that matter I usually rely on my cell phone to actually tell the time.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
A great thread for the "it's all about me" crowd!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:47 AM

I agree with all of you.

Everytime I'm about to take the plunge and buy a new car - especially a daily driver that I'm going to slog through traffic, spill coffee in, and leave parked outside most of the time - I swear I'm going to buy 'Car X'; some appliance such as an Accord, Camry, or Chevy Impala. But when it comes down to making the purchase, I don't. Personally, I find better perceived 'value' in MB and BMW. Their cars designs are more timeless, they wear much better (paint, interior, trim) and drive well for many years. American and Japanese cars (except a big Lexus) quickly fade literally and figuratively. Cars that scream great value like the Acura TL, just become so 'blah' and echo the period they were sold in. You just don't see a 1999 TL or a 1988 Legend (or name your budget lux car) and think "that's beautiful" or "I still want one of those..." Any of those cars would be perfectly sane, financially sound choices, but they would also be drop dead boring.

That said, I lost my shirt on the last BMW I had; it never depreciated less than about $4000 per year. We'll see on the MB diesel.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:11 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Originally Posted by lkchris
A great thread for the "it's all about me" crowd!

guilty as charged!

Rational decision making and Mercedes Benz purchasing don't necessarily go hand in hand.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:18 PM

'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
If MB is overpriced, then why did you buy one? Obviously something caused you to do this. Pricing is a function of one thing: supply and demand. Enough people want MB's and prefer them to other cars -- for whatever reason (performance, safety, ergonomics, prestige, styling or any other thing that pushes someone's "buy" button) that the prices asked can be gotten. The marketplace speaks.

I've got three MBs, two E's (o4 and 08 coming) and a C (05), and I've driven (owned) BMWs, Audis, Volvos, Saabs, Toyotas, Lincolns, Pontiacs, you name it. I keep coming back to MB. That's the marketplace for me. YMMV.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 999 Likes on 731 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Given the fact the The E350 did more poorly than a Ford Taurus in the recent Insurance Institute side impact test I would have to agree.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
So is jewelry by Tiffany. One could get better quality for the same price almost anywhere, or the same quality for less money anywhere. You knew all of the electronics were as they are, and the price as it was, and you stated that the electronics were the most important item to you, yet you bought in anyway.

That's what they charge, for what they have and you bought in anyway. Clearely you accepted the value given for the amount paid, so the price is apparently fair.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:25 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Given the fact the The E350 did more poorly than a Ford Taurus in the recent Insurance Institute side impact test I would have to agree.
The E-Class was in the second rank on the tests of luxury cars, which isn't all that bad and certainly doesn't mean that the E-Class is unsafe. The BMW 5-Series came in worst, behind even the Kia Amanti, tee-hee-hee. (or, in German, Schadenfreude)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3173647.shtml

The Kia Amanti is a luxury car?
Old 08-18-2007, 06:45 PM
rjm

Multiple
I have to agree with you. Your basic premise is correct in my opinion. The E-Class is overpriced. A $70K car should not have transmission failure at 24,000 miles, even though it is repaired under warranty. Mine did. There are much better cars for significantly less money out there. The Lexus LS430/460 come to mind. They just don't have the 3-pointed star on the hood. The BMW is much more fun to drive and handles much better. It just doesn't have the 3-pointed star on the hood. I have since replaced my Mercedes with a Lexus and a BMW so I speak from experience. I think the primary reason people buy Mercedes is the PERCEPTION they are buying a superior car. And of course for the prestige that it gives them. After saying all of that, the 2009 E-Class is looking very good to me. The spy-shots have been great and according to J.D. Power and this forum, quality and reliability seem to be improving so that they are once again becoming competitive with some of the other cars in their class. If the new E-Class pans out as hoped for, I may be jumping back in. I enjoy fine cars but don't like paying 10 grand extra for "image." So I agree with you. Good post.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by starbrite
for repeating "me".
Sorry about the double “me.” Embarrassing typo.

jimm
Old 08-18-2007, 07:47 PM

I can’t fault any of you who were critical of my post. You may ALL be right.

But, my post was clearly identified as my opinion that the E-Class is priced
too high. It is clear that many of you disagree. But no question, I‘ve bought
a LOT of things that I thought were “priced too high” ..

1. because I wanted them, and
2. because I’m able to .. good value or not

So, please note: my post was merely a candid, personal opinion regarding
the topic of this forum .. the E-Class. And my humble opinion of its pricing.

(And - BTW, I NEVER said that Electronics are the most important factor in
my car purchase. Just of “considerable” importance.) Again, I “love” my E.
And when the 2010 comes out, there’s a 99% chance I’ll get the first one in
Palm Beach County, like my 2008. But, they’re priced too high.

jimm

Last edited by jimm; 08-19-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
I don't quite view it as overpriced when compared to equivalent vehicles. I mean mainly the 5 series and the a6. At the end of the day you could buy a $3000 used car that will still get you from a to b. Value is a perception, to some an E class will be a complete waste of money, to others it is a bargain. I find the same conversation happens with my Rolex Daytona. Some people buy a $25 watch and find it completely meets their needs, others buy watches for $15k or more and absolutely love them. In reality the $25 watch probably tells better time, but it still does not feel the same on your wrist as a Rolie.

I have had over 50 cars and I can say with experience I have never driven one like my new E. This car is just as fast as my last Vette, it handles and rides like a precision machine and it leaves you with a smile whenever you drive. It is one of the few vehicles I have owned where I turn around 2-3 times to look back at the car after a good drive. It is as if the car drives me. I find I volunteer to go out for takeout or an errand just for a chance to be taken by the car...
Old 08-18-2007, 11:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
I may get shot for this, but I prefer the Infiniti M45 over the E.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW X5, GL450, Saab 9-3, E550
I submit that only one (new) car in the world is Not overpriced:
The v6 hyundai sonata

for 24K (much less, usually) you get:
234 HP
roomy interior with leather and well-reviewed layout and quality plastics
safer than e-class (one of the very few all 5 star crash rating cars)
all the new-fanged electronics (driving and convenience) most of us will actually ever use)
one of (if not the) the very best warranties

If one buys anything else, they are heavily factoring in emotion, esthetic, and desire.

Now, I'm going to go look at my garage where my new E550 will be in 10 days...

But wait, there is one other car (actually a whole make) that is a better value:
Any new Ferrari.

The moment you drive it off the lot you can turn around and sell it for more than you paid to some poor soul who does not want to wait 2 years on a list for theirs.

Last edited by Underwhelmed; 08-18-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:18 AM

2004 E500 4matic
Originally Posted by DWP
The E-Class was in the second rank on the tests of luxury cars, which isn't all that bad and certainly doesn't mean that the E-Class is unsafe. The BMW 5-Series came in worst, behind even the Kia Amanti, tee-hee-hee. (or, in German, Schadenfreude)

yeap...lol Kia is marketing the Amanti in the class with the full size Luxury cars...

They even have the e class look a like head lights...lol
Old 08-19-2007, 01:34 PM

E500
Originally Posted by bigmel
yeap...lol Kia is marketing the Amanti in the class with the full size Luxury cars...

They even have the e class look a like head lights...lol

Overpriced? Interesting topic. Definitely some valid positions. I guess the same could be said for some of the steaks we eat at restaurants. I fall in the category of paying a few more pennies for the things I like. As far as the Kia and some other brands compared. I don't think I will worry about seeing a Kia forum 20 years from now with all the "collectors" who have pride in their well crafted Kia's. Then again, I could be wrong. I think Mercedes has earned the privilege over the years of charging more given its commitment to excellence and delivering it. Competition is heating up now. I have a Honda Accord as a back up car and think it is great for what it is, but when it comes down to it, I think it is more than HP vs. HP or interior sqft vs. interior sqft.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 999 Likes on 731 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by DWP

The point is Mercedes used to set the standards when it came to safety not try to play catch up. Descriptions such as "not all that bad or not unsafe" were not used in the same sentence as Mercedes.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 08-19-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
KIA= Killed in action.. Have any of you ever ridden in a KIA the doors are paper thin and make a honda look like a tank.

Lets see how the europeans rated the hyundai sonata, pay attention to the damage indication on the dummy.

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/hyunda..._2006/272.aspx

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/merced..._2002/130.aspx

Now look at the E class.

Fact is car crash tests are limited to 3 main types, 1. full frontal, 2. side impact, 3. front offset. Any car company could design a car to do all 3 of them well but in the real world we dont have the perfect text book accidents.

Also take a look at the pictures notices the amount of intrusion on the sonata then take a look at the E class, what do you think would happen if you increased the impact speed another 10mph...

Also keep in mind these are solid barriers they are hitting, the E class has a lot more weight to slow down vs a kia or sonota. Fast forward to the real world when you hit another car its not going to be a solid barrier you are going to push back on it, the weight of the E class will give you more force which in tern will knock the smaller car away from you and at the end of the day physics win.

So if anyone wants to buy an E class and a sonota or kia and crash them head on to see physics in action, you will pick the E over the rest.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:57 PM

The E-class should be first in all safety tests and in luxury, handling, comfort and prestige if MB expects to charge a price premium. Back in the good old days it was quality and prestige = price premium while today MB is trying to have price premium to sell quality and prestige in my opinion. It used to be a large margin between MB and other luxury brands while today Mb is no longer looked at that way. BMW and Lexus has taken some of the prestige from MB.
But it looks like MB may be on the way back, we will know in 3-4 years time depending if the current new models will be reliable in 3-4 years time.

Last edited by rieger; 08-19-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
No hating here... You have a right to express yourself and your opinion has a lot of merit.

For what you get in the total E class ( or benz ) package, I wouldn't call the E' class exactly overpriced as much as I would say that

1. There is a big class gap between sedans that Mb offers. C class base msrp 29,900, then all the way to 50+k for the E. nothing in a Sedan between the two.

2. THe very very sad depreciation of the All of their cars not just the E. We are only in the 8th month of 2007 and the 2006 E class that would have been financed in Dec ( 9mos ago ) as a New car is valued a whopping 10K less than it was just around christmas!!! That's sad.

So my .02 is that I think the cars ( all of them ) are pretty outstanding, but they just are not the most attractive buy these days...Unless you are in it for the long haul, and purchased it close to a steal.

Last edited by my06clk; 08-19-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:50 AM

2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
For $50K, I've had 3+ trouble-free years where I love everyday that I am able to drive my car. I always knew some of the purchase wasn't for visible value.

I do feel this car drives better than cars on the next tier below, Camry etc. The Camry may last as long - or even longer according to some - but the ride isn't as good, IMO.

I'd never recommended anyone buying a MB, BMW, Porsche unless they really enjoyed that particular car rather than just their interest in getting a good reliable car where they good match the technology, etc. with the price dollar for dollar.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:33 AM

2008 Aspen, 1970 Corvette, 2000 Corvette and 2009 Legacy Limited
I too agree with all comments.

When my wife and I BOTH had good income jobs, MB was the only choice. Whether is was for the status or for the level of comfort and refinement inside... we took the plunge and purchased two new MB (ML320 and E320) in 2002. We could have bought two vehicles much cheaper... but it was almost like... we made it to were we wanted to be. We have found that the only saving grace on the price is the interior. EVERY other car we have been in lacks the interior comfort... Lexus is up there too... but can't stop thinking ... IT IS A TOYOTA... one hell of a Toyota.

Well, my wife has decided to stay home since my first son was born two years ago. We just had another wonderful little boy. Her ML is coming up on 6 years showing 55K miles. For the most part trouble free other than a $2K rear main seal fix... 500 miles outside warranty.

So staying on point... after my newly aquired lease, 06 E350, is up... we are going to a more affordable brand. Staying on point, there are a couple more vehicles out there that offer close to MB interior quality and refinement but are easy to afford. So it comes to affordability for me. I still think MB is the one to compare others, however, recent years MB quality has dropped a little and also... other makers have stepped up there product. Buick comes to mind in the stepping up. I don't think one can compare a Buick to a Benz in the real world but I must admit, when money IS the object... MB is probably not at the top of the list.

Living in Atlanta now with the traffic has me rethinking... "I need a commuter car... not Benz."

If I had the disposable income that I once had with my wife working as CPA with Arthur Anderson ()... MB would surely be at the top of my next purchase. I agree one does not get much more "car" for the money and there are less expensive options. I think of MB as luxury, do we need a car at this price... not really. BUT... when one can afford it... the answer becomes easier... IMHO.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
With the E Class I tend to agree but not so much for the same reasons as many of you. My gripe as so far as the pricing has to do with the decontenting of the car. Some of the items that I use most every day are gone such as the rear view mirror tilt, the HVAC Rest position, the easy exit seat movement, the key dependency, etc. Many lesser vehicles have these or similar items. The E is still a very well engineered vehicle from a handling, safety, ride and comfort standpoint but so are other less expensive cars. There is far less that sets it off from the pack today. I still have my 05 and if it were not for the decontenting I would have an 07 or 08. I am just hoping that with the 09 or 10 redesign that some of these items go back into the vehicle. If not I will start to look at alturnatives.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: MOST of You Will HATE Me For This!!