E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 coolant mixed with Trans fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes E500
E500 coolant mixed with Trans fluid

A couple of days ago, I felt that my 2003 E500 was not driving normal. The transmission upshift was not normal. A while later I noticed that at certain speeds (around 2000-3000 RPM) the whole car was shaking.

I took the car to the dealre. Their verdict is that the seal between the main radiator and the part of the radiator that is supposed to cool the trans has broken and collant has gotten mixed with trans fluid, and the trans is damaged.

They said that I need a new transmission, torque converter, and radiator. The car is out of warranty. Cost for the above is $7K. After discussing this with theservice advisor, he called the MB rep and they agreed to pay 50%.

I have seen posts about TSBs on C class cars that addresses this issue. But nothing on E500.

My questions are:

1. Is anyone aware of any TSBs for E500 concerning this problem?
2. What is the best source fo TSBs? Is Alldata the best source?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by fdk110; 08-29-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Originally Posted by fdk110
A couple of days ago, I felt that my 2003 E500 was not driving normal. The transmission upshift was not normal. A while later I noticed that at certain speeds (around 2000-3000 RPM) the whole car was shaking.

I took the car to the dealre. Their verdict is that the seal between the main radiator and the part of the radiator that is supposed to cool the trans has broken and collant has gotten mixed with trans fluid, and the trans is damaged.

They said that I need a new transmission, torque converter, and radiator. The car is out of warranty. Cost for the above is $7K. After discussing this with theservice advisor, he called the MB rep and they agreed to pay 50%.

I have seen posts about TSBs on C class cars that addresses this issue. But nothing on E500.

My questions are:

Many thanks in advance.
It is interesting they are willing to pay 50% out of warranty. Do you know why? If the service advisor is just really that nice maybe he will let you use that $3,500 and buy an extended warranty and then have it covered under that (wait, that could be conceived immoral )

Couldn't find anything on the E500 either. Good luck as I have an 03 as well and glad I got the extended warranty.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Is anyone aware of any TSBs for E500 concerning this problem?
This problem is well known and specifically addressed by two MBUSA bulletins therefore, even if you are out of warranty the repair inclusive of replacement parts should be cost free. Private message your email address where you are located, and include your VIN if you want a datacard (equipment and color codes, etc.) on your vehicle. I will forward a PDF of both bulletins, etc.
The following users liked this post:
speedracer.eric (11-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2007, 12:43 PM

E500
And send konigstiger a nice tip.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
To date I have been allowing “on the arm” rates to peddle/prove my sweat equity worth and get my foot in the door if you will. However, since the new forum owners refuse to cut me a piece of the pie from now on there will be a 10% kickback fee (finder’s fee for the suits) imposed just as I used to get in the old country (NYC).
Old 08-29-2007, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Ah yes... NYC. Land of the "Underhand Slide". LOL
Old 08-29-2007, 03:30 PM

GL350
Agree with konigstiger.It is a known fact to MB.
I would call MB USA or just find another dealer.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:55 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X

My questions are:

Many thanks in advance.
If this problem is well known to MB and the dealers. My question is why your dealer and MB rep asked you to pay half? To me this is like used car dealer tactic of getting as much as possible from the unsupecting customers! Someone suggested of going to another dealer, but I don't think this is the way to do it. You should approach the dealer and MB rep and question them about asking you to pay half of the repair whereas MB had bulletins to repair it free. This is a matter of business ethics and integrity. I don't believe any customers should be treated this way!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:40 PM

Mercedes E500
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
If this problem is well known to MB and the dealers. My question is why your dealer and MB rep asked you to pay half? To me this is like used car dealer tactic of getting as much as possible from the unsupecting customers! Someone suggested of going to another dealer, but I don't think this is the way to do it. You should approach the dealer and MB rep and question them about asking you to pay half of the repair whereas MB had bulletins to repair it free. This is a matter of business ethics and integrity. I don't believe any customers should be treated this way!
Actually, it is a little worse than that. Here is the entire story.

After the SA called to say that I needed a new trans and the cost was $7K, his first question was did you have this car serviced elsewhere and wondered if they had put an unapproved coolant in the radiator, and that "contributed to the problem". My questions about the actual cause of the probelm were answered by "I can't tell" and "I dont know".

I went to see him the next day and argued that this should not happen to an 03 car with 56K miles on it and asked if there were any TSBs. He said that there were some issues with the C class cars but NOTHING on E class. I asked that he call the MB rep. He picked up the phone and dialed someone in-house (it was a 4 digit number) and gave the details. After a short conversation he hung up and informed me that they will pay for half.

The next day I went to see him again, but this time I had a copy of the TSB in hand. I told him that this appeared to be a known issue and that the TSB specifically mentioned the same symptoms that I had reported and the problem that he identified.

He barely looked at the TSB. His only response was "OH, OK"; I will take care of it".

I don't know about others, but if I miss something costing $7K and tell someone that they have to shell out that much money, when faced with a TSB indicating something diametrically opposite, I would at least flip through it.

But maybe its just the particular SA and not the entire dealership... I dunno.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
If its well known and an MB fault, then what the dealer is doing is double dipping. Its unfortunate, but in today's small business climate, due to thinner margins business owners are bending over & plowing the very customers who are still helping them to stay in business. Its THE Cancer of the small business world. ...and it will ultimately cause the death of small business.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-31-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
I'm sure you've seen that hidden video of the guy being told he has to pay $7k to fix his sunroof or whatever, when all that was the problem was a rock in the track. Its floating around on the net on various video sites and was posted here too.

Actually, it is a little worse than that. Here is the entire story.

After the SA called to say that I needed a new trans and the cost was $7K, his first question was did you have this car serviced elsewhere and wondered if they had put an unapproved coolant in the radiator, and that "contributed to the problem". My questions about the actual cause of the probelm were answered by "I can't tell" and "I dont know".

I went to see him the next day and argued that this should not happen to an 03 car with 56K miles on it and asked if there were any TSBs. He said that there were some issues with the C class cars but NOTHING on E class. I asked that he call the MB rep. He picked up the phone and dialed someone in-house (it was a 4 digit number) and gave the details. After a short conversation he hung up and informed me that they will pay for half.

The next day I went to see him again, but this time I had a copy of the TSB in hand. I told him that this appeared to be a known issue and that the TSB specifically mentioned the same symptoms that I had reported and the problem that he identified.

He barely looked at the TSB. His only response was "OH, OK"; I will take care of it".

I don't know about others, but if I miss something costing $7K and tell someone that they have to shell out that much money, when faced with a TSB indicating something diametrically opposite, I would at least flip through it.

But maybe its just the particular SA and not the entire dealership... I dunno.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:51 AM

Pinto
07 with 20k is jerking tranny and brakes

taking mine in tommorrow-
its having the same jerks
Old 09-16-2007, 04:24 PM

W211, E200CDI
Hi from Europe,

The problem is well known and heavilly discussed in some MB Forums. Problem is bad quallity of Radiators manufactured by "VALEO" until approx. end of 2003, but there are even seldom reports of problems with models up to 2005.

Problem: Bad connection of the ATF pipe on the radiator -> leaking of coolant into ATF -> damage of the torque converter!

Problem starts with humming noise and variation of number of revolutions of approx. +/- 200 rpm between 1200 - 1800 rpm, connected with rough gear changes. If the damage already started in the torque converter symthoms like shakking of the whole car will appear -> will result in the replacement of the torque converter and radiator -> costs approx. 7.000,-USD

Here in Europe workshops do a "Glychol-Test" of the ATF if clients claims above problems, if the conatmination with coolant is not so bad they will only change the radiator and flush the transmission system 10l of ATF before filling it again, if problem still exists they will change the torque converter.

See link to STAR BULLETIN procedure:http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showp...1&postcount=33

Normally MB take approx. 50 - 100% of the repair costs, depending on the mileage and year of manufacturing of the car.

So insist of a cost sharing or even that MB cover all the costs if your car is using one of the damaged VALEO Radiators.

Hope this helps,

Chris from Vienna, Austria
speedracer.eric (12-21-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 12:02 PM

Mercedes 2003 e500
Originally Posted by konigstiger
This problem is well known and specifically addressed by two MBUSA bulletins therefore, even if you are out of warranty the repair inclusive of replacement parts should be cost free. Private message your email address where you are located, and include your VIN if you want a datacard (equipment and color codes, etc.) on your vehicle. I will forward a PDF of both bulletins, etc.
Breybluth@yahoo.com
Mercedes 2003 e500
Vin# WDBUF70J33A098Z76
Plead help thank you
Old 11-29-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 E320
Is this an issue with the E320?
My trans is acting up, shifting a little odd and the car shudders as described in the OP
Old 11-30-2016, 10:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Yes, see attached bulletins.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
27.55_50g.pdf (182.4 KB, 405 views)
File Type: pdf
27.20_78a.pdf (92.8 KB, 404 views)
speedracer.eric (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 E320
Originally Posted by E200CDI
Hi from Europe,

The problem is well known and heavilly discussed in some MB Forums. Problem is bad quallity of Radiators manufactured by "VALEO" until approx. end of 2003, but there are even seldom reports of problems with models up to 2005.

Problem: Bad connection of the ATF pipe on the radiator -> leaking of coolant into ATF -> damage of the torque converter!

Problem starts with humming noise and variation of number of revolutions of approx. +/- 200 rpm between 1200 - 1800 rpm, connected with rough gear changes. If the damage already started in the torque converter symthoms like shakking of the whole car will appear -> will result in the replacement of the torque converter and radiator -> costs approx. 7.000,-USD

Here in Europe workshops do a "Glychol-Test" of the ATF if clients claims above problems, if the conatmination with coolant is not so bad they will only change the radiator and flush the transmission system 10l of ATF before filling it again, if problem still exists they will change the torque converter.

See link to STAR BULLETIN procedure:http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showp...1&postcount=33

Normally MB take approx. 50 - 100% of the repair costs, depending on the mileage and year of manufacturing of the car.

So insist of a cost sharing or even that MB cover all the costs if your car is using one of the damaged VALEO Radiators.

Hope this helps,

Chris from Vienna, Austria
Yes, see attached bulletins.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand this correctly; IF there is coolant mixed with the trans fluid, and I take my car to an official Mercedes dealership for a diagnostic, I get a new/rebuilt transmission covered under the recall?

If this is accurate, what are my best steps to ensure I have the least out of pocket cost, or to simply ensure that Mercedes will cover the replacement?

Last edited by speedracer.eric; 12-21-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
No, this is not a recall but rather a MB dealer technical bulletin (DTB) covered under factory or extended warranty. Early on requested bulletins thread title be changed from recalls to service bulletins with no response. Considering the start date of this thread, if out of warranty suggestion was to approach MB for goodwill repair given defective radiator was installed at production. Of course you still can do so but unless you can prove vehicle has been serviced/maintained by MB dealer (i.e.: oil changes, etc.) during ownership doubt any assistance offered will be substantial.
speedracer.eric (12-22-2016)