White / Secondary battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E3200
White / Secondary battery

I have an E320 (W211) vehicle and I've been experiencing the red alert message on my console with a battery icon that says to "Visit Workshop" and since I've replaced the black / trunk battery (Consumer Battery) but since the error was still occurring I took it to the dealership and they just called and said the white /secondary battery is low and needs to be replaced and they want to charge me $263 including installation...which in my opinion is ridiculous.

I can get a battery at cost for $110 + tax so I'm planning to just pick that up and install it myself. Can anyone foresee any problems with doing that? My friend replaced the bigger black battery myself so I don't see any problems with doing that?

Also, if it takes a day or two to get the new battery, and the current battery dies, should I disconnect the larger black battery in the trunk until I get the new white / secondary battery installed?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:02 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
I'd be interested in this. I've had my 04 wagon for 2 weeks now. On Saturday the car had no juice at all. Not a blip when I tried to start it. I put a charger on lowest setting on the rear battery all through to Sunday morning, and it started fine. To fess up, I tried looking for the engine compartment battery on Sunday to give it a bit of a charge, but couldn't find the bugger.

I didn't drive the car Friday. But on Thursday one of my convenience features started working all by itself. The steering wheel would go up and away from me when I took the key out. And reverse when I put the key in. Now, that cool, except I don't recall setting this on.

So, then no drive on Friday, and on Saturday, a dodo. There was an error, that is in the handbook, re. SBC unit...longer braking distance, etc. The book just said battery power is low. Hence the charge.

I'll be interested in the responese to this thread. Jeez, I hope the car starts tonight - it's a long walk home!!
jim
Old 09-17-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CL500 216
Just take care that you get the same type of battery, I think its a AGM type on your car
Old 09-18-2007, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Replacing batteries may not fix the issue. Early W211 cars had quite a few charging related issues that should have been fixed by recalls. This case can be different but it seems really odd that so many 2003/2004 cars still lack these improvements (see konigstiger's recall list).
Old 09-18-2007, 11:27 AM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Replacing batteries may not fix the issue. Early W211 cars had quite a few charging related issues that should have been fixed by recalls. This case can be different but it seems really odd that so many 2003/2004 cars still lack these improvements (see konigstiger's recall list).
Thank you very much DieselBenz!! I found the thread (and subscribed) to it. I have just emailed the service guy at the deal and asked him to run my VIN through VMI. I mentioned a couple of campaign ID's so he knows, I know...if you know what I mean. Not sure if this is the right approach (this is my car, tell what you can fix for free for me?) but i'll see what happens.

Thanks again, your guidance is much appreciated
jim
Old 09-20-2007, 11:00 AM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Well, got a voicemail from my dealer to tell me:

1. We can't give you a service history of your car as it was not serviced at our location.
2. There are no outstanding recalls for my car

Questions:

1. My car came from PA. There is one sticker in the service book from the MB dealer down there. Carfax shows serveral services, which I would presume were done at the dealer while in warranty. Do you guys think they ought to be able to provide this to me?

2. Having had a electrical failure at the weekend I was really sure one of the recalls had not been done (I was thinking the ground wire on the SBC wiring cage). Is there a way to get confirmation that recall issues have been corrected on an individual car? I hate to be cynical, but I think it is the easiest thing in the world to say "Not that we are aware of" if it is going to cost them money. Built in deniability. Remember that scene at the insurance office in The Incredibles?

What you guys think?
jim
Old 09-23-2007, 10:54 PM

'13 E550 W4
Have them check the battery control module also. If this little device goes out, you will lose significant braking ability and power to most of your electronics including 7G transmission, air condition, power steering, etc... It happend to me while driving on the highway so be very careful to adhere to the "visit workshop" warnings around brakes. When I called tele-aid to ask them about the brake warning, they said it could be the alternator causing battery issues, and I should drive the car for 20 minutes and see what happens. When I did that, my brakes (and everything else) went out and I was almost killed on the highway. Luckily, I was able to veer off the road and park. Note: After the incident, the dealer replaced the BCM (under warranty at the time) and I have not had any problems with brakes since then.

Last edited by Scambo; 09-23-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by jallison12
I'd be interested in this. I've had my 04 wagon for 2 weeks now. On Saturday the car had no juice at all. Not a blip when I tried to start it. I put a charger on lowest setting on the rear battery all through to Sunday morning, and it started fine. To fess up, I tried looking for the engine compartment battery on Sunday to give it a bit of a charge, but couldn't find the bugger.

I didn't drive the car Friday. But on Thursday one of my convenience features started working all by itself. The steering wheel would go up and away from me when I took the key out. And reverse when I put the key in. Now, that cool, except I don't recall setting this on.

So, then no drive on Friday, and on Saturday, a dodo. There was an error, that is in the handbook, re. SBC unit...longer braking distance, etc. The book just said battery power is low. Hence the charge.

I'll be interested in the responese to this thread. Jeez, I hope the car starts tonight - it's a long walk home!!
jim
did u saw any "consumer shut off stage 1 or 2" in the instrument ???
Old 09-24-2007, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by highbp4me
I've replaced the black / trunk battery (Consumer Battery).

What battery did you install. Mine has a wire off the center of the battery which I believe is a low voltage tap. Did you buy a battery from the dealer or is there someone that sells replacement batteries.

The small battery you are looking for is on the right fender well under the cabin airfilter.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:31 AM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Originally Posted by cscheat
did u saw any "consumer shut off stage 1 or 2" in the instrument ???
Nope, didn't see that message.

These days I tend to leave off a lot of inside electronics, like the COMAND, A/C, etc when I am leaving the car. Touch wood no repeat problem.

jim
Old 09-24-2007, 11:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
I have never seen the small battery in the front so I have no direct knowledge about replacements. I do have a lot of experience with motorcycle
batteries. I have heard that the M-B battery is similar. Yuasa makes the best
small batteries that I have ever used. They usually give 4-5 years of service if they are used regularly or trickle charged. The stuff from Walmart and K Mart is junk. The AGM batteries mentioned here are service free and I believe thay are ventless. I purchased an AGM battery 4 years ago for a motorcycle that I trickle charge faithfully. It is practically dead and will require replacement next season. Oddlly I bought it at Batteries Plus franchise with their name all over it, but the instructions were printed by Yuasa. I paid about $65 for it at the time. Unless there is something odd about the size or pole configuration, I would not hesitate to install one in my car.