Since I'm waiting......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Since I'm waiting......

I think maybe I should start a list, with the help of everyone, of the most common problems people are finding with the new e-series. That way maybe I can check for them before I take delivery (if I ever do). I remember that some of them have a MB tech memo regarding them now.

1. Ticking/shaking (is there a tech memo? a memo number?)

2. Clock hands not lining up (was there a fix mentioned)

3. Windshield wipers (what was that?)

4. Pulls to the right???

Was that all? Seems like there was a whole lot more teeth gnashing and growling going on.

I am now confused...is there a all wood steering wheel AND a "wood/leather steering wheel"? The wood/leather is the only one now showing in options. Is that the only one there was?

Last edited by etenn; 10-29-2002 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 'E550
There is only a wood/leather steering wheel and the windshield wipers are known for being a bit loud, so some owners requested them to be changed.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:26 PM

2003 MB E500
You forgot the infamous one of all, the ticking noise. BTW, my dealer has delivered over 75 E500's. He said none of them have been back in the shop for any kind of problem so far!
Old 10-29-2002, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
brought my E500 in today to have the teleaid system fixed, and mentioned the ticking sound to my advisor and he knew nothing about it. Your right, I also remember reading about a tech memo that replaced the motor mounts to correct this problem. My advisor said he would look into it. I'll let you know what he said.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
yea, there is a memo, ppl said it was issued on oct 9, but on the top of it, it showed oct 10....if thats makes any difference, also, to me the easiest way to check if the motor mounts are bad is to accelerate slowly on a hill, or open the hood, and give it some gas, if the motor goes to the right and left more than usual its a problem, regarding the clock, my clock seems fine, it doesnt pull to the right, but the tires are horrible, very loud...my wipers are fine too, they are pretty good actually, and also there is the tele aid problem, my dealer sais they need a new module, so that might be the problem...no other probs
Old 10-29-2002, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
my service advisor just called telling me my car was ready, so I guess they fixed the teleaid. Anyway, he did say I was right about the motor mounts (like I made it up), after checking with the shop manager. He said he had to order the mounts as there are none in the country yet?
Old 10-29-2002, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Any one know for sure the memo number or the date on the "ticking" memo. What exactly did it address?

I think I would like to call my dealers attention to it before my car gets here (if it ever does).

If I keep hitting them with this information they maybe they will find a way to get my car here sooner (if there really is an order in)

I have visions of a ship on the ocean with stowaways from Eastern Europe living in my car

Seriously, I would like to know about the memos on these problems if anyone knows. I think that otherwise you get the same answer...."Don't know anything about it"

Thanks for the replies....
Old 10-29-2002, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Just picked up my car for the teleaid fix and the radio not muting. got in the car tried to activate the teleaid and it's not working! got home called my cell and guess what, radio not muting! called my service advisor and asked him if anyone really worked on my car. Brought it back in and they will be ordering a "gateway". According to the paperwork they replaced the audio gateway. Regarding the ticking, the paperwork stated from my visit a "worldwide" back order on motor mounts. I'm sure most dealers know about this by now. My advisor didn't, but the shop manager did.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:55 PM

2004 E500
Originally posted by rayscar
You forgot the infamous one of all, the ticking noise. BTW, my dealer has delivered over 75 E500's. He said none of them have been back in the shop for any kind of problem so far!
Hey rayscar, as the guy who started the original thread on this noise, believe me that it's real.. which is apparent based on the other posts in this thread!
Old 10-29-2002, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
I can't believe a "world wide shortage of motor mounts".

I sure hope they used one of the new ones in my car. Ray (rayscar) picks his up on Thursday. If it ticks on the way home I bet his is the first of the 75 to be back in the shop.
:p
Old 10-30-2002, 09:59 AM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by MadManAboutTown
Hey rayscar, as the guy who started the original thread on this noise, believe me that it's real.. which is apparent based on the other posts in this thread!
I never said nor intended to imply it wasn't real! My car is coming so I asked my dealer if they had any problems.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:13 PM

2004 E500
Ok, no problem - sometimes reading these threads can be tricky, and I obviously missed your intended point.

Good luck with your car... and I hope it is not one of the 75 coming back in for this problem.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:04 PM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by MadManAboutTown
Ok, no problem - sometimes reading these threads can be tricky, and I obviously missed your intended point.

Good luck with your car... and I hope it is not one of the 75 coming back in for this problem.
Thanks, me too!
Old 10-30-2002, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Did anyone actually see the "tech memo"? Is that what they are called by the service manager?

If so, how would I describe it to someone who denies ever hearing about it.

Ed