E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Survey: Navigation Routing Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
I thought I had read it before, Thanks!

Would you happen to know if the AGW update itself will lock it?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by tashakes
I thought I had read it before, Thanks! Would you happen to know if the AGW update itself will lock it?
As I understand it, no.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:41 PM

1988 BMW 325is, 2007 Mercedes Benz E350 Wagon
I also have this problem, in that the navigation does not plan the most direct route, even taking me off course in a "triangular" coordinate shape.

I have the following car:
2007 E350 Wagon P01 Package, delivered at the end of 2007

My navigation disk box says the following:
(C) 2006 Harman/Becker Automotive Systems GmbH. All rights reserved.
(C) 2006 Innovative systems GmbH. All rights reserved.

BQ 6 46 0223

A211 827 96 59

(C) 2006 NAVTEQ. All rights reserved. Tous droits reserves.

Since I bought my car in the winter, and I live in the north with snowy/salty areas, I have left my car garaged 95% of the time since I bought it, so I haven't used the navigation system but one or two times.

What I recently discovered with mine is that when I plotted a route to "AVOID TOLLWAYS", it planned a very circuitous route to do that, adding about 40 miles to the proper and intended route, where I know for a fact the MB system is not the best way to go, because I compared the Mercedes Benz navigation route with one that I did on MapQuest, also ticking their option called "Avoid Road Types: Tollways". The MapQuest route was correct, while the MB navigation system route was wrong.

Also, while in downtown Chicago, the MB navigation would take me around the block, when an interstate entrance was dead set in front of me one block ahead, and I could literally see the interstate entrance. We finally got tired of the dictatorial sounding commands from the lady's voice on the system and turned it off. In this regard, a definitive, completely self-assured tone of voice is fine when the system works, but it just emphasis the problem more when its wrong, so I would also suggest they install a friendlier female voice.

I am completely in support of you in your believing that the route is way off, and thus incorrect, and therefore not functioning properly. MBUSA and/or the MB Dealer must correct it, do so in a friendly and accommodating way, and not make it seem like you are out of your mind, if that is what they make you feel like.

In addition, I have a laptop based navigation setup that I use in another car, and I planned the exact same route. That system is TeleAtlas data based, and that also calculated the correct and proper route, like the MapQuest.

I have called my local dealer, and they are looking into it.

Also, I have screen shots of my wrongly calculated MB navigation system route, with a Adobe PDF print out of the MapQuest route, so if you need additional information to support your claim, I would be happy to provide it.

Finally, I believe that there are well known and documented problems with the MB navigation system in a good number of cars, so hopefully they will continue to work on it and provide the updates. Note: MBUSA and/or the local dealer has to provide a free update in order to meet their warranty obligations in providing a properly and correctly functioning navigation system. I am sure most dealers will do this as a matter of course, but for those who don't, they should be pressed to act appropriately.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by bosendorfer
2007 E350 Wagon P01 Package, delivered at the end of 2007
BQ6460223 (2006.2) was released 12/06 your vehicle should have been delivered with BQ6460229 (2007.1). Now then, if you had 2007.1 you would be entitled to a no cost upgrade to BQ6460229 (2008) due to routing errors. Upon taking delivery always have the dealer confirm you have the current navigation disc. Anyway, in now knowing you should have had 2007.1, note dealer error at the MBUSA mandated Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) that entitled you to 2007.1 then mention DTB P-B-82/602b for entitlement to the current navigation disc – BQ6460229 version 2008 under warranty at no cost.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
BQ6460223 (2006.2) was released 12/06 your vehicle should have been delivered with BQ6460229 (2007.1). Now then, if you had 2007.1 you would be entitled to a no cost upgrade to BQ6460229 (2008) due to routing errors. Upon taking delivery always have the dealer confirm you have the current navigation disc. Anyway, in now knowing you should have had 2007.1, note dealer error at the MBUSA mandated Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) that entitled you to 2007.1 then mention DTB P-B-82/602b for entitlement to the current navigation disc – BQ6460229 version 2008 under warranty at no cost.
Thanks for the information! You are very knowledgeable and helpful to others, which I have noticed quite a bit. It's great to have someone like you on the forum. Thank you.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 AM

Update on my problem with the MB Navigation System:

I took my car into the dealer to have them examine the navigation. It was not a good first experience with Mercedes Benz service. Before going into the dealer, I e-mailed to the Service Manager the details about the problem. What I didn't anticipate is that the Service Adviser hadn't even bothered to read the e-mail.

When I brought the car into the dealer, the Service Adviser went over the problem on the navigation system with me, where I entered the address, then ticking the box "AVOID TOLLWAYS". As the system calculated the route, at that point when it had finished calculating the route, a blue bar with a white border appears in the middle of the screen, stating "The Route Consists of Toll Road".

Well, when I pointed this out to the Service Adviser that this showed a clear error in the system, he wouldn't acknowledge it. What he should have done is said to the effect: "Yes, this is a problem. The system should not be doing that." He didn't seem to have a way to simply acknowledge this was a clear problem. All he could do is say in effect, "we'll have someone take a look at it."

Needless to say I was frustrated, not only with the car having a significant problem with the navigation, but the approach that the Service Adviser took, in simply not wanting to recognize that when the "AVOID TOLLWAYS" box is ticked, the bar stating "The Route Consists of Toll Road" should not have occurred. All I wanted was a simple acknowledgment that this was incorrect. Instead, he kept trying to claim that there was nothing wrong with the system, and that the MB system may calculate a slightly different route that one might expect, but that it does work. When I pointed out that a navigation system is intended to provide an efficient route calculation and not plot triangularly shaped coordinates, there is something clearly wrong. He still would not acknowledge the problem.

After further discussions, and what ended up turning into a difficult exchange, I decided to leave the dealer with my car, since the Service Adviser, in a rather unprofessional and rather unfriendly manner, twice suggested that he didn't know if I wanted for them to work on the car. I turned it back to them, saying in effect, "I don't know, do you want to work on the car?" After leaving the dealer, I called MBUSA, leaving a voice mail message, and then leaving a voice mail message for the Service Manager at the dealer. Let's see what they do about it, or if they even call back.

Mercedes Benz does seem to have a problem with arrogance, in that they don't seem to want to even acknowledge when there is a problem. And I am starting to think that it was a mistake to have bought a Mercedes Benz.

I have attached a photograph of the screen showing how the system plots a triangular shaped coordinate route for a simple trip from Milwaukee to Chicago. This can be compared to the way MapQuest shows it, also attached as a PDF. My other navigation system, PC-based, using TeleAtlas, also calculates it correctly

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Survey: Navigation Routing Problem-l1090065.jpg  
Attached Files

Last edited by bosendorfer; 03-25-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
makes your daughter horny
Originally Posted by tashakes
I have the 2007.1, yesterday I went to an admissions meeting with my son at USC (from San Diego), and the nav sent me on the 405 to the 110. I immadiately though that the problem I had seen here before was happening, as I was ready to go on the 5 to the 10. Turns out the nav was right, I made it there in less than 2 hours, and used the carpool lanes that are available about 90% of the way starting around Capistrano. I know the 5 does not have carpool lanes north of Irvine, so by following the rationale above, it probably saved me a ton of time. Maybe what they should do is offer carpool lanes as an option, now I am just not sure not to trust it completely anymore......
I know if your starting in Newport (Irvine area) 405 to the 110 is the best route Sounds like your nav was spot on.

Is your son an incoming freshman? Tell him to try to get a dorm in New North and Fight on!

If you have any questions about SC' housing or anything feel free to PM me.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:24 PM

kongstiger,
I just went to another dealer, and what they told me is that according to my VIN, the car was supposed to be supplied with the 2006.2, based on their checking the computer. So they told me they would not provide a new DVD. How is that for MB customer service?
Old 03-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
kongstiger,
I just went to another dealer, and what they told me is that according to my VIN, the car was supposed to be supplied with the 2006.2, based on their checking the computer. So they told me they would not provide a new DVD. How is that for MB customer service?
First, request to be put in contact with the MBUSA area rep by way of the dealer's Service Manager (SM). If refused, call 1-800-367-6372 and explain the situation exactly as I explained it to you. When a vehicle is delivered it should be delivered with the current navigation database DVD per delivery date (not manufacture date) otherwise you paid for a navigation system that is subpar.

Check your PM.

Last edited by konigstiger; 03-25-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
MB isn't a vendor of Navigation. It is like you can tell your house builder that dishwasher has a problem. What do you expect? However problem is that MB chosen not so good quality navigation vendor and doesn't have clear support program.
I'd rather car maker drop providing any navigation, it should look like for house, you have walls, but you are free to choose KitchenAid or cheaper appliances.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:48 AM

I disagree with your stating that I shouldn't expect something better. Mercedes Benz is a luxury brand where its navigation system should work to "navigate", and do so correctly. I do expect it to work correctly, and as correctly as does a $500.00 Garmin brand unit that you stick on the windshield or dashboard, which it doesn't. MB chose itself to market and promote the COMAND system, where it includes the navigation system and names it specifically as part of an integrated system, specifically calling it a feature. Definition of "feature": "something offered to the public or advertised as particularly attractive <one of the car's most popular features>*. The analogy to a house builder is therefore not accurate. The navigation's main operational driver is the software, where as I understand it, MB chose to purchase from NAVTEQ the least expensive and most bare minimum data base sets, thus resulting in only being able to specify a range of addresses, instead of a specific address, and often lacking numerous roads and arteries. And to say that the navigation system should be left out of a car today is not realistic in today's automobile industry. A navigation system should navigate correctly. That's what I am paying for in a brand that advertises, markets and presents itself as superior and luxurious.
*Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E350 Sport 65 Plymouth Satellite Jeep GC Porsche 944
Just FYI: This a.m. I took my car in for the 1-3K Welcome Visit. They did a diagnostic check and replaced my 2007.1 Nav disc with the latest 2008 version. After describing the routing problems the SA checked with the Service Manager who okayed the replacement based on disc defects or "data missing" issues.

My car was delivered 9/25/07 in Germany with the Euro disc (which seemed to be a FAR superior Nav disc btw) and was delivered in Austin 11/07 with a 2007.1 version. YMMV
Old 03-26-2008, 03:56 PM

'08 E63, '08 ML350
Originally Posted by bertman
Just FYI: This a.m. I took my car in for the 1-3K Welcome Visit. They did a diagnostic check and replaced my 2007.1 Nav disc with the latest 2008 version. After describing the routing problems the SA checked with the Service Manager who okayed the replacement based on disc defects or "data missing" issues.

My car was delivered 9/25/07 in Germany with the Euro disc (which seemed to be a FAR superior Nav disc btw) and was delivered in Austin 11/07 with a 2007.1 version. YMMV
I took delivery of my '08 E63 this past Januray. To my surprise it came with the 2006.2 nav disc.

After voicing my displeasure, my dealership replaced the disc with the 2008 version.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:35 PM

2007 E 350
First, request to be put in contact with the MBUSA area rep by way of the dealer's Service Manager (SM). If refused, call 1-800-367-6372 and explain the situation exactly as I explained it to you. When a vehicle is delivered it should be delivered with the current navigation database DVD per delivery date (not manufacture date) otherwise you paid for a navigation system that is subpar.

Check your PM.
I also purchased a 2007 and took delivery in July 2007. It came with the 2006.2 disk. In January 2008 I spoke with the SA at the dealer and he essentially blew me off saying it was delivered with the correct disk. I then call MBUSA and spoke with a rep. After not hearing anything for 3 days I called MBUSA back and found out they were waiting to here from the dealer.
I then asked to speak with a supervisor and explained the situation, she called back several days later and told me I had received the correct version of the disk. I asked her when the 2007.1 version had been released and she said she didn’t know but that the 2006.2 was correct. I asked to speak to the district representative.

By now it’s the end of January and my wife and I are leaving town for the month of February and I haven’t heard from anyone. When we get back home in March, the 2008.1 is in the mail from the dealer.

Bottom line MB finally did what they should have, but not without leaving me frustrated and angry. I won’t be going back to that dealer for service.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:42 AM

Follow Up

I thought I would just let everyone know the outcome of my situation. Thanks to Konigstiger, and based on his excellent information, I ended up calling MBUSA and speaking with a customer service representative, who informed me that since my car was delivered after July 2007, i.e. it was delivered in November 2007, the car should have been delivered with BQ6460229 (2007.1), and due to routing errors with that disk, the car should be upgraded to BQ6460229 (2008) at no cost.
So, I called the Service Technician at the second dealer to where I went and provided this information, and he then had me scheduled to come in and install the new disk. This was done at International Autos in West Allis, which I highly recommend and to where I will go for service when needed from now on for the Mercedes Benz and BMW.
Thanks to Konigstiger for all the help!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:37 PM

2007 E550
I thought I would just let everyone know the outcome of my situation. Thanks to Konigstiger, and based on his excellent information, I ended up calling MBUSA and speaking with a customer service representative, who informed me that since my car was delivered after July 2007, i.e. it was delivered in November 2007, the car should have been delivered with BQ6460229 (2007.1), and due to routing errors with that disk, the car should be upgraded to BQ6460229 (2008) at no cost.
So, I called the Service Technician at the second dealer to where I went and provided this information, and he then had me scheduled to come in and install the new disk. This was done at International Autos in West Allis, which I highly recommend and to where I will go for service when needed from now on for the Mercedes Benz and BMW.
Thanks to Konigstiger for all the help!
Hi, I have the 2007 E550 took possession of it back in 2006 December. I don't know what version of Nav DVD I have. I just want to ask did they improve on the navigation s/w by providng the exact "house number" when navigating. My version only navigates to the block of "house numbers" and I still have to figure out exactly which side of the street the house is at!?
Old 04-18-2008, 02:02 PM

Unfortunately, the new version of the DVD released January 2008 does not include the street number designation, which again reflects poorly on either Mercedes Benz Germany or MBUSA, whichever entity is responsible for purchasing the data base set(s) from NAVTEQ. It is certainly possible to have this feature, but this is where I imagine some person with an MBA (Master of Business Administration) thinks their clever and can show how they have "cut costs" to their superior by purchasing the most bare minimum navigation data base set(s), thus resulting in such a woefully poor performing navigation system in what is supposed to be a top tier luxury car.

So, unless your having problem with the HOV issue, any update adds roughly 3-5% in data, or changes, to the previous version. Therefore, it's usually best to wait a few years to purchase any new update in order to garner a cumulative effect, unless it's crucial that you have the absolute most up-to-date information. Note: Some have speculated or come to the conclusion that unless you take each stepped update, your system might not perform as it should, but I really don't know enough about it to say for sure. Sometimes I don't even think the MBUSA Dealer Technicians even know for sure themselves. So, it's best to research, research and then research some more about the MB navigation before making any final decision, and even then you might not realize any real advantage.

Also, I am sorry to report that, in fact, the new navigation version DVD from January 2008 did not actually correct my navigation problem where a triangular shaped route is calculated by the system for a simple trip from Milwaukee to Chicago. And when the 'avoid toll roads box' is checked, the system still indicates "this route includes toll roads", and a convoluted route is calculated and takes one off a logical course that both MapQuest and my computer laptop Tele Atlas based software does correctly.

It is such a shame that MBUSA still wasn't able to respond to the customer complaints about the poor navigation system by releasing well functioning software that is properly programmed.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:03 PM

Frankly, the 2008 Nav in my W211 is woefully inadequate. My W208 had the option for "shorter" or "faster" - the W211 does not. The W208 had house numbers rather than blocks - the W211 does not. It honestly has very little value other than the fact that it's OEM. I'm very disappointed in it, and my expectations were low to begin with.

This is a Feb 2008 build date E350 P2.