E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Prepping a Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 06:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prepping a Mercedes

My dealer said that my car hasn't arrived at the prep center yet. What the hell is a prep center and what do they do there? I forgot to ask.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
it is where they take off the plastic, clean the inside, wash your car, and put cheap *** wax on it, if your gonna detail your car, tell them only to detail the interior, ans rims, not the paint
Old 10-31-2002, 07:17 PM

2013 S550
The dealer could also be referring to the Vehicle Processing Center (VPC). Some also refer to it as the prep center. Do a Google search for Mercedes +VPC and you can find out more info.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
or just call them
Old 10-31-2002, 08:19 PM

2004 E500
Good idea, bmms8. Here's one of those articles:

MBUSA Opens New VPC in Carson, CA

Carson, Calif. -- Mercedes-Benz USA, Inc. (MBUSA) officially opened a new state-of-the art vehicle preparation center (VPC) in Carson, California that will prepare vehicles for wholesale delivery to 103 Mercedes-Benz retailers in 18 western states, servicing approximately 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles per month. The new Vehicle Preparation Center, a 110,000-square-foot facility, represents an investment of $10 million.

"Our new state-of-the-art facility will enable us to get cars to our clients as quickly as possible by reducing the overall time it takes to get vehicles from production to market," said Hal Whiteford, vice president of operations, MBUSA.

"Our daily processing capacity has improved significantly allowing us to get vehicles from the port to the retailers quicker. The results are more cost effective and there is less waiting time for the client."

VPCs are the final quality check by MBUSA to ensure that all vehicles meet the company's high standard for quality prior to shipment to retailers. VPCs also install optional accessories such as cellular telephones and CD players. The new facility houses an automated car wash, testing and inspection stations, and state-of-the art mechanical and body repair shops.

The New Mercedes-Benz Vehicle Preparation Center is located in the Watson Industrial Center South, at 22707 Wilmington Avenue in Carson, Calif., and employs 50.

Mercedes-Benz USA, Inc. operates two other VPCs; one is located in Belcamp, Maryland, the other in Jacksonville, Florida.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
wait, i thought a vpc is where they check emissions, so all cars go throught it right?
Old 10-31-2002, 08:37 PM

2004 E500
I really doubt if they even check emissions for M-B's - maybe the VPC's for the exotic cars do since there's a big difference between emissions for a stock vs. race setup.

Per that article:

VPCs are the final quality check by MBUSA to ensure that all vehicles meet the company's high standard for quality prior to shipment to retailers. VPCs also install optional accessories such as cellular telephones and CD players. The new facility houses an automated car wash, testing and inspection stations, and state-of-the art mechanical and body repair shops.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
My car is also there - here the dealer calls it PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) and he told me that they do the detailing and the final checkups etc..
Old 11-01-2002, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by muhri2
My car is also there - here the dealer calls it PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) and he told me that they do the detailing and the final checkups etc..
Actually, the PDI is done at your dealer, not the VPC.. 2 different things.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:47 AM

E320, Lexus RX 300, Nissan Xterra
Originally posted by MadManAboutTown

"Our new state-of-the-art facility will enable us to get cars to our clients as quickly as possible by reducing the overall time it takes to get vehicles from production to market," said Hal Whiteford, vice president of operations, MBUSA.

...subject to strikes at the port.