E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

V1 detector mounting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 E-550 4-matic Sport; '15 RAM, '15 X3, '15 Charger SRT
V1 detector mounting

I have read the posts/pictures here but after speaking to an Indy I need to inquire again. I will be picking up an E-550 4-matic tomorrow in Denver and asked a reputable Indy about hard wiring my V1 detector behind the mirror. He said sure it is possible but he is reluctant to proceed w/o specific instructions from MB or elsewhere as to how it is/has been done on this specific yr. and model as anything you do electrically, esp. with this type wiring harness, could cause computer errors, etc. He says what was done on other MB models would likely not be the same procedure. Does anyone have experience with this on a 07-08 E-550? I have a call into the dealer service mgr. but have not heard back yet.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW FTW
Bunch of BS.. Take your V1 hardwire kit and just tap into the dome light. Personally I went to radio shack and bought 20 feet of cable and ran the cable tucked in the headlining and stuffed it in down the A pillar into the glovebox and tapped into the 12 volt source.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
makes your daughter horny
My buddy hardwired his V1 into his E350. From what he told me there isn't a switched 12v source in the domelight. Thankfully, its a fairly simple procedure to route the wire down the A pillar. I know theres a fuse box on the drivers side, there has to be a switched 12v in there.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by W Cole
My buddy hardwired his V1 into his E350. From what he told me there isn't a switched 12v source in the domelight. Thankfully, its a fairly simple procedure to route the wire down the A pillar. I know theres a fuse box on the drivers side, there has to be a switched 12v in there.
Here's how I mount the V1 on my previous car (W210), and my current car (W220). Just use velcro to stick them on top of the mirror, and run to the wire on the light dome .

Old 10-30-2007, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Do a search. The most accessible switched 12v in a W211 is the cigarette lighter in the console. Its pretty easy to get at it and then thread a line from there to the top of the windshield. This has been covered in numerous posts.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 AM

04 500E S4 Wagon
V1 mounting location

Keep in mind that there needs to be a clear sight-line from the little plastic square on the right side of the V1's control panel through the rear window in order to have rear detection.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:15 PM

08' E350 with P2 & AMG sports package, 03' BMW 325i
Is anyone tried to tap it to the moonroof wiring. In BMW, the moonroof wiring is a good source for "switched" wire which has a 12V when the ignition is switched on. I assumed it will be the same on the MB, isn't it? Here's some pictures of a typical BMW where we hardwired our V1 connection.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:52 PM

‘08 E-350 Sport, C6 Vette & Harley Davidson
The mirror location is probably a good choice. In my C6 vette
I have it mounted under the mirror and it’s great there.

However, in my E350, I choose to simply Velcro it to the back
of the dash, very close to the windshield. I hired someoene to
run a cord from under the dash up to it. Don’t know where the
wire is attached but I do know that it turns off with the switch.

V-1 is clearly the best. Love the arrows .. showing cop in front
or behind. It’s never let me down yet.

jimm

==========

‘08 E350 Sport, P2, Black/black, Parktronic,
Voice, Bluetooth, Burl Walnut, Split rear seat,
Wood/leather steering wheel
Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 PM

2008 E550
Just "finished" my V1 install on a 2008 550 this weekend. Do be careful what you tap into for power since I think this car has some CANBUS, which may cause gremlins to appear.

I wired it from the rear view mirror area all the way to the dash cigarette lighter, which is either switched or not-switched, depending on how the fuse is inserted. Where I ran into trouble is that in probing around to find what was power/ground/etc of the lighter's 3 wires, I blew the fuse. That sounds like no problem, but it turns out the owners manual doesn't tell you where that fuse it, at least accurately. There is no mention of a set of fuses under the hood where this fuse is located. My manual said it was a fuse in the trunk fuse panel, which wasn't blown. Took me some meditation time to relax, oh, and a lot of web searching to figure this out.

Otherwise, its a piece of cake. Run the power wire from behind the lighter around all of the inside trim work up to the mirror housing (do a search in this forum for V1 install, which has lots of pictures/how-to).

If I hadn't blown the fuse which threw me off for a while, would have taken all of an hour or so.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by notallthere
Just "finished" my V1 install on a 2008 550 this weekend. Do be careful what you tap into for power since I think this car has some CANBUS, which may cause gremlins to appear.

I wired it from the rear view mirror area all the way to the dash cigarette lighter, which is either switched or not-switched, depending on how the fuse is inserted. Where I ran into trouble is that in probing around to find what was power/ground/etc of the lighter's 3 wires, I blew the fuse. That sounds like no problem, but it turns out the owners manual doesn't tell you where that fuse it, at least accurately. There is no mention of a set of fuses under the hood where this fuse is located. My manual said it was a fuse in the trunk fuse panel, which wasn't blown. Took me some meditation time to relax, oh, and a lot of web searching to figure this out.

Otherwise, its a piece of cake. Run the power wire from behind the lighter around all of the inside trim work up to the mirror housing (do a search in this forum for V1 install, which has lots of pictures/how-to).

If I hadn't blown the fuse which threw me off for a while, would have taken all of an hour or so.
Any photos of your install?
Old 03-16-2011, 03:20 PM

2008 E550
Sorry, no. But if you search the forum for "V1 install," in the second listing (4 pages) you will find an equivalent set of photos from user "xraymd."