E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Does some of you change your oil more frequent than the car recommend?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C230 Coupe
Talking

I received the following information from the friend that supplies me with the Amsoil I use for the engine and transmission:
Quote:
As of January 1, AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 European Car Formula Motor Oil (AFL) has been reformulated to meet the VW 505.01, Mercedes-Benz 229.51 and BMW LL-04 specifications.
The reformulated AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 European Car Formula Motor Oil (AFL). Offers advanced protection for all major European gasoline and diesel passenger vehicles
Fully formulated for turbo direct injection (TDI) vehicles.
It is recommended for European gasoline and diesel vehicles, including but not limited to, Saab, Audi, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, Land Rover, Opel, Mini Cooper, BMW, Peugeot and Porsche. Unquote:

What do you guys think?
It looks like Amsoil is raising the bar again on the other brands. A single oil formulation good for both the gasoline and diesel engines.
The Amsoil fully synthetic APO based, European Engine oil was reformulated so that it meets the MB latest Specs for even diesel engines. Wow..
I will ordering this new formulation around march 06, when I will be doing the yearly engine oil change in my MB cars.

I was able to find the following about the new MB specs:
MB sheet 229.51 approved oils; low ash long life
Mercedes pioneered this new spec for passenger cars with diesel engines with EURO 4 soot particle filters and longer service life than the 229.31 oils. The spec was introduced in 2005. Change intervals increased to 20,000 kilometers.(about 12500 miles)
They listed only 2 european made oil brands as meeting these specs. So It looks like Amsoil should be soon listed there too, with no other brand available in the US listed.
Source: http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html
The previous specs 229.31 were good up to 15000 Km . (about 9500 miles)

So there you go, it seems that there is now an alternative for the new and old Diesel engine MB passenger cars in the US besides truck oil.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build date 2-04 E500