E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rock Chips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 E550 W4
Rock Chips

Any advice to fix those annoying rock chips on the front and hood. Color is Obsidian Black.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Check the following recent thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/215980-paint-scratch-repair.html

I use Langka; a remarkable product used in conjunction with OEM TouchUP Paint, results in a perfect finish.

Last edited by pinebaron; 01-10-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by pinebaron
Check the following recent thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215980

I use Langka; a remarkable product used in conjunction with OEM TouchUP Paint, results in a perfect finish.
I tried Langka on brilliant silver and it didn't turn out not so nice! I followed the directions and used OEM touch up paint but maybe I messed something up (like that would be a first )!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by BoughtaBenz
I tried Langka on brilliant silver and it didn't turn out not so nice! I followed the directions and used OEM touch up paint but maybe I messed something up (like that would be a first )!
It takes practice. This is my experience
1. Remove wax/polish etc. from affected area by using appropriate wax remover (diluted dishwasher liquid) and paint cleaner.
2. Shake TU paint and apply a blob of a size that will stay on the chip area without breaking up. Several hours later or next day, apply another blob of paint if the dried paint is not clearly showing as a blob raised above the paint surface.
3. Let it dry a couple of days. It is no doubt tougher to rub down hardened paint but results are better.
4. Use a small clean microfiber towel wrapped around the credit card size plastic; shake Lanka bottle and apply a large dab on the cloth.
5. Rub across the dried blob in straight lines, not circular motion without using excessive force; you dont want to ruin the surrounding area. Frequently replenish the microfiber towel with Lanka as neccessary. Keep reducing rubbing pressure as the blob wears down; this requires much patience.
6. When done, use a paint sealer followed by a coat of high quality caranuba or polymer wax to get near perfect results.
7. Having said that, the chip repair process is no substitute for a professional paint shop; then again one cannot take the vehicle to the paint shop every time we have a microscopic rock chip.
8. I also try to control my driving aggression by maintaining a reasonable driving distance; requires strong nerves

Last edited by pinebaron; 01-29-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by pinebaron
It takes practice. This is my experience
1. Remove wax/polish etc. from affected area by using appropriate wax remover (diluted dishwasher liquid) and paint cleaner.
2. Shake TU paint and apply a blob of a size that will stay on the chip area without breaking up. Several hours later or next day, apply another blob of paint if the dried paint is not clearly showing as a blob raised above the paint surface.
3. Let it dry a couple of days. It is no doubt tougher to rub down hardened paint but results are better.
4. Use a small clean microfiber towel wrapped around the credit card size plastic; shake Lanka bottle and apply a large dab on the cloth.
5. Rub across the dried blob in straight lines, not circular motion without using excessive force; you dont want to ruin the surrounding area. Frequently replenish the microfiber towel with Lanka as neccessary. Keep reducing rubbing pressure as the blob wears down; this requires much patience.
6. When done, use a paint sealer followed by a coat of high quality caranuba or polymer wax to get near perfect results.
7. Having said that, the chip repair process is no substitute for a professional paint shop; then again one cannot take the vehicle to the paint shop every time we have a microscopic rock chip.
8. I also try to control my driving aggression by maintaining a reasonable driving distance; requires strong nerves
Thank You!

I might not be letting the paint dry enough or maybe because I'm too impatient and the metallics in the paint aren't mixed enough (Brilliant Silver).

When it gets a little warmer out, I'll give it another try and follow your directions.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 PM

'13 E550 W4
You wanna hear a tragedy, listen to this one.. I was driving down I35 in Austin and a pickup truck carrying 50 bags of crunched up soda cans was 10 cars in front of me. The bags were somehow opened, and millions of crushed aluminum cans were flying all over the highway, hitting everyone. As all the cars swerved to get out from behind him, my hood was slaughtered by flying metal cans. By the time I realized WTF was happening, I was a victim of the dreaded "flying can" plague. There are just no words to describe my feelings at that point.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Scambo
You wanna hear a tragedy, listen to this one.. I was driving down I35 in Austin and a pickup truck carrying 50 bags of crunched up soda cans was 10 cars in front of me. The bags were somehow opened, and millions of crushed aluminum cans were flying all over the highway, hitting everyone. As all the cars swerved to get out from behind him, my hood was slaughtered by flying metal cans. By the time I realized WTF was happening, I was a victim of the dreaded "flying can" plague. There are just no words to describe my feelings at that point.
I am sorry to hear it...it is scary just thinking about it. I hope you were ok. Did you get your baby fixed?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:59 PM

'13 E550 W4
Nope, didnt get it fixed yet. Approximately 12-15 chips in the paint on the hood. It was pretty scary actually, and I thought I was in some kind of horror movie. Noone was hurt as far as I could tell, but people were swerving all over the place.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:23 PM

2005 MB E500
Originally Posted by Scambo
Nope, didnt get it fixed yet. Approximately 12-15 chips in the paint on the hood. It was pretty scary actually, and I thought I was in some kind of horror movie. Noone was hurt as far as I could tell, but people were swerving all over the place.
Your feeling during that time just like OMG******************F********M**********F******** G*****D****, I'm glad your ok though. Good thing no one got into an accident. So who's paying for your repair? Your insurance company or the truck?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
Originally Posted by E500Newbee
So who's paying for your repair? Your insurance company or the truck?
Or the idiot who lost the cans?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 PM

'13 E550 W4
Noone is paying for it at this time. I didn't get any license plate numbers, and I'm not sure if I want to go through the hassle of insurance for 12-15 paint chips.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Good luck on your rock chips. I had my front end repainted due to my rock chips.