SRS and Teleaid Malfunction in 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Yeah, I know...

The spill (only a few drops, quickly wiped up, no permanent damage) was entirely my fault. But it was a wake up call for myself to always ask the "Barista/o" to leave me an inch below the rim of the cup.

Sorry to have been venting so much about the car and stuff on here the last week or so, it's just been a stressful coupla weeks. Enirely my fault.

EDJ
<corking the whining>
Old 11-27-2002, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350
joe,
did you do the aquitnece call yet for the tele aid ? if you did the tele aid malfunction should go way. i hear you about the karate kid cup holders. i get alot of complaints on those....but others seem to like thme because they are pretty coool. some people like the one in the previous e.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:35 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Still Waiting for the SRS/Tele-aid Gateway

I am still waiting for the SRS/Tele-aid gateway. The car is in the shop and in the meanwhile I have been given a freaking minivan as a loaner - ridiculous.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:39 PM

2004 E 4matic StationWagon
How Long?

How long has your car been in the shop, Ashahashah?
Old 11-27-2002, 12:51 PM

2003 E500
Angry SRS E500

My SRS on my E500 has been malfunctioning since day one. They reset the system two times and it came back again for a third time. They told me about the Computer Module that needs to be replaced and that it would take 10-14 days to receive from Germany. It has now been 16 days and still no part. The dealer also told me that the SRS may or may not work if involved in a collision, this does not make me feel very comfortable. And to make things worse, they wont give a loaner car until after 3 weeks have passed. ABSOLUTE B.S. . I know that in CA, if a car is out of service for 30 days, then it is eligble for the Lemon Law, maybe they are trying to avoid taking the car back. I just want to be able to drive car knowing that it is SAFE.

jm
Old 11-27-2002, 02:11 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Re: How Long?

Originally posted by KShortill
How long has your car been in the shop, Ashahashah?
Well, I gave it in last Friday 11/22 and it is still there today 11/27. So that is 5 days and counting. I will not get the car back before 12/2 for sure and how many days after 12/2 - who knows???

I was talking for 15 mins with the service manager about this and in general complaining about the sh*tty service that the Morristown Mercedes dealership ownership is providing (the service manager is nice and is trying his best, though). It's been 3 weeks with the car and already I have a bad experience with MBUSA. My wife drives a Lexus RX300 and whenever we go for service at the local Lexus dealership (and we did not even buy the car at this local dealer) we always get a 2002 RX300 as a loaner (now that's called service!!!!).
Old 12-07-2002, 04:29 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
GOT MY CAR BACK

Well, I finally got my car back after 13 days at the dealership. SRS problem fixed. I called them many times in that span, got pissed off, got a call back from a MB rep and after all this - THANKFULLY - they are giving me a wooded steering wheel at no cost. It took a lot of complaining, but they MB did give me something - this I appreciate.
Old 12-07-2002, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: GOT MY CAR BACK

Originally posted by ashahashah
Well, I finally got my car back after 13 days at the dealership. SRS problem fixed. I called them many times in that span, got pissed off, got a call back from a MB rep and after all this - THANKFULLY - they are giving me a wooded steering wheel at no cost. It took a lot of complaining, but they MB did give me something - this I appreciate.

sorryu for the long wait, a free wheel isnt bad though
Old 12-07-2002, 04:35 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Re: Re: GOT MY CAR BACK

Originally posted by bmms8
sorryu for the long wait, a free wheel isnt bad though
Yeah, I am satisfied with that. It costs $550 or so if you could order it with the car, but I think around $700 if you order it afterwards - so that is a decent deal. I wanted the cell phone, but the service manager said that the phone is a waste of money because it is not as good as one would imagine it to be. Anyway, maybe I could have asked for a break in the NAV system or even the extended warranty - but the wooden steering wheel is pretty nice too.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:07 AM

2004 E 4matic StationWagon
Question

Ashahashah,

How high up in MB did you have to go to get the free wheel? (I should have complained more loudly when my car was in the shop for 2 weeks for the dreaded SRS malfunciton - maybe I would have got something!)
Old 12-12-2002, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
Re: GOT MY CAR BACK

Originally posted by ashahashah
EmmTee, are you listening??????

I still have my unfilled out survey form, heh heh heh!

EDJ
Old 12-12-2002, 10:57 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Re: Question

Originally posted by KShortill
Ashahashah,

How high up in MB did you have to go to get the free wheel? (I should have complained more loudly when my car was in the shop for 2 weeks for the dreaded SRS malfunciton - maybe I would have got something!)
Well, I complained like hell to my service manager at the Morristown MB dealership. I faulted the dealership management, all other dealers and MBUSA and told him that I felt MBUSA was doing nothing - that the dealer was doing nothing by not pressuring MBUSA - that it was amazing they did not even know when my car would be fixed - that I was driving my car for < 3 weeks and it has been in the shop for 2 weeks - that I never have to go thru this with a Lexus dealership. I also called the salesman who sold me my car and complained to him. After many many phone calls and much complaining this guy from MBUSA leaves me a message - he is basically a high level manager who visits all the local dealers in the NYC Metro area (and there are too many to count in this area). He calls me to tell me when the part is coming in, apologizing profusely, telling me that the dealership is not at fault and then lastly telling me that he will call the dealership to compensate me appropriately. So, that is when I asked not for money but for this wheel. I think they would have given me 2 weeks equivalent of a lease payment (about $350) in cash - but I pushed for the wheel at no cost.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I think the basic point is to call as many people and complain - DO NOT CURSE - do not raise your voice and you will get results.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
Dum De Dum Dum Dummmmmm

Got the dreaded call from my service rep. I won't get the SRS module until about 12/23 (11 days, just before Christmas....now I know I'll be singing that carol everyday now >grin>).

And they won't release the car due to liability.

That'll make it 13 days they'll be keeping my car, and I've only had it a month.

EDJ
A sorry member of the "buy the first new year's design and be the envy of your neighbors" club.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:53 PM

Well, enjoy the Wood Wheel. May bring a smile everytime you drive....sooo smooth!!
Old 12-12-2002, 10:04 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Re: Dum De Dum Dum Dummmmmm

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe
Got the dreaded call from my service rep. I won't get the SRS module until about 12/23 ......

That'll make it 13 days they'll be keeping my car, and I've only had it a month.
So, EDJ, what are you getting for the 13 days? You know, later on I thought of asking for a bigger break on the extended warranty or on the DVD Navig system. Anyway, I am still glad I got the wheel - both my wife and I really liked that option.

BTW, the wheel is already at the dealership. I will be going next week on Tue to get it installed - and have them check on a rattling sound from the front passenger seat.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:07 PM

2003 E500
SRS

I waited almost 4 wks for my gateway. MBUSA gave my dealership the okay to give me the MB Phone System for free. They installed it yesterday. Once the voice activation module is available, they will providing that at no charge as well. Make sure your dealer is giving you a loaner car, I've been told that the SRS system may not work in the event of a collission. The good news is that is has been one week since they installed the new Gateway , and no malfunctions. Hopeufully it will stay that way. Also, you may want to protect yourself by writing a letter to MBUSA in case you have to move forward under lemon law.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:07 PM

2003 E500
SRS

I waited almost 4 wks for my gateway. MBUSA gave my dealership the okay to give me the MB Phone System for free. They installed it yesterday. Once the voice activation module is available, they will providing that at no charge as well. Make sure your dealer is giving you a loaner car, I've been told that the SRS system may not work in the event of a collission. The good news is that is has been one week since they installed the new Gateway , and no malfunctions. Hopeufully it will stay that way. Also, you may want to protect yourself by writing a letter to MBUSA in case you have to move forward under lemon law.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:25 PM

2003 MB E500
Re: SRS

Originally posted by griffen99
That's an even better deal than the free wood wheel! Way to go.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:15 PM
wow
Almost a Member!

E500
My E500 gave me the SRS warning about 9 days ago. So far, it is still in the shop. My first problem was with the Tele Aid. Got that fixed. I brought my car to another dealership (not the one that I bought the car from) to fix my SRS system. I got the 2003 ML350 as a loaner. I drove it for 8 days and I really did not like it so I called my service advisor to ask him to switch it for me since I don't know when they are going to be able to fix my car. Immediately he gave me a 2002 E-Class as a loaner (E320).

I also expressed my unhappiness to my service advisor. I also told him that MB should do something to make me happy. I discussed with him about possible free accessories. So I requested him to talk to MB to give me one free extra year of Tele Aid subscription, a free wood-leather steering wheel. My service advisor told me that he will do his best to make me happy. Don't know what it means for now.

I should have asked for a Navigator or a phone or something more expensive. I already have a phone provided to me by my company so I don't really miss it.

My advise to you is - be nice & professional to your service advisor and you will get what you want. Tell him/her that you know it is not his/her fault that you have this problem. Tell him/her that you are very unhappy and that MB should show concerns for their customers and MB should be very concerned about the quality of their cars. Tell your service advisor that you completely trust him/her that you will get the best service from him/her. Blah, Blah, Blah.....

I will let you know what are the results.

Chris
Old 12-13-2002, 01:40 PM

2012 CLS
My car was diagnosed with a computer problem at PDI (pre delivery inspection) - so I couldn't take the car. The part took 10 days to come from Germany. When installed, and with me waithing in the showroom with the family to collect our new car, I was told about a new error message related to the now infamous SRS. Another week or so was required.

The kids cried, and I nearly did.

I prepared a carefully worded and calm letter of complaint - and went and presented this to the dealership manager - explaining that the whole buying process had been ruined by having to wait for these malfunctions to be rectified. I also asked for 10% off the car - and in retrospect this was a bit greedy!!!

When I eventually collected the car there was a large bunch of flowers for my wife, 2 bottles of good champage - and the best bit - a cheque for £1,000 (about $1600).

Car's been back for aircon sensor as was aircon not working, and then a new aircon valve as this was faulty and making a hissing noise behind the dash - now all is sweet - if only I could cure the noisey wipers - anyone any ideas? New blades on order from the dealer - although I have only done 1700 miles.

No regrets about the car though
Old 12-13-2002, 01:44 PM

2012 CLS
$1600 compensation

My car was diagnosed with a computer problem at PDI (pre delivery inspection) - so I couldn't take the car. The part took 10 days to come from Germany. When installed, and with me waithing in the showroom with the family to collect our new car, I was told about a new error message related to the now infamous SRS. Another week or so was required.

The kids cried, and I nearly did.

I prepared a carefully worded and calm letter of complaint - and went and presented this to the dealership manager - explaining that the whole buying process had been ruined by having to wait for these malfunctions to be rectified. I also asked for 10% off the car - and in retrospect this was a bit greedy!!!

When I eventually collected the car there was a large bunch of flowers for my wife, 2 bottles of good champage - and the best bit - a cheque for £1,000 (about $1600).

Car's been back for aircon sensor as was aircon not working, and then a new aircon valve as this was faulty and making a hissing noise behind the dash - now all is sweet - if only I could cure the noisey wipers - anyone any ideas? New blades on order from the dealer - although I have only done 1700 miles.

No regrets about the car though
Old 12-13-2002, 02:33 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Good deals

Hindsight being 20/20, I now know that I should have asked for something more expensive and usable like the integrated phone or the Navig system or the extended warranty. But, now I am cannot ask for more. Anyway, hopefully others will get much better deals goign forward because of us posting all this information here. Thanks to all the people that have. One last thought - something is better than nothing (at least I got a $700 option). Some people did not get anything.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:39 PM

'03 Mercedes E320
It's worth noting, so we don't forget, that some of us simply got good service: Overnight replacement of the Gateway Control Module with a MB loaner, and I didn't have to ask for anything or write, or call!
Old 12-13-2002, 02:40 PM

2003 E500
SRS

I believe the most important thing is that we are having the problems corrected. Regardless of what we get out MB, all we really want is a SAFE car. I am still shocked that no formal recall has been made. Good luck to you and one last comment, it's never too late. Call the regional manager and ask if there is anything else he/she can do to compensate you for your time and aggrevation. This is not KIA, this is a Mercedes. We should NOT be experiencing all of these MAJOR problems.
Old 12-13-2002, 03:01 PM

'03 Mercedes E320
If there is nothing wrong with a module, why recall it? The car has extensive diagnostics which are identifying the failure, and the anecdotal evidence here seems to suggest that the module fails early in the car's life, as most electronics are prone to do. If they are having a problem supplying the ones giving failure signals, why create demand for a part that is in short supply and replace "recalled modules" which are operating OK while other folks with failed modules are without their cars? It seems that MB is dealing with an unexpected computer glitch on some cars and attempting to satisfy customers inconvenienced by a parts supply issue. 'Just my opinion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: SRS and Teleaid Malfunction in 2 weeks