E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Polarized sunglasses and Command screen visibility

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2008 | 10:58 AM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Polarized sunglasses and Command screen visibility

I'm about to get new prescription sunglasses, and I would like to get polarized lenses. However, I've heard that some LCD screens are impossible or hard to read with polarized lenses. I don't have any polarized lenses right now, and my car is on order, so I can't just go to an optical store and try them in the car.

I would appreciate your opinions on the subject.
Old 01-17-2008 | 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
I'm about to get new prescription sunglasses, and I would like to get polarized lenses. However, I've heard that some LCD screens are impossible or hard to read with polarized lenses. I don't have any polarized lenses right now, and my car is on order, so I can't just go to an optical store and try them in the car.

I would appreciate your opinions on the subject.
It does make it a little harder to see, but its no big deal. If you're near Farmingdale/ Rte 110, stop in & I will lend you a pair of non Rx demos to try in your car in the parking lot. PM me, I'll tell you where.
Old 01-17-2008 | 02:13 PM

‘08 E-350 Sport, C6 Vette & Harley Davidson
We’re probably talking about something different but, I just got a new pair
of polarized perscription glasses (the kind that “automatically” darken and
lighten) and they don’t darken in a car with tinted glass .... which is about
all cars today, I guess.)

jimm

==========

‘08 E350 Sport, P2, Black/black, Parktronic,
Voice, Bluetooth, Burl Walnut, Split rear seat,
Wood/leather steering wheel
Old 01-17-2008 | 02:17 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by jimm
jimm
Yes, that is something different. What you have is "Transitions" (a/k/a "Sun Sensor") lenses, which I believe can't be made polarized.
Old 01-17-2008 | 02:18 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
It does make it a little harder to see, but its no big deal. If you're near Farmingdale/ Rte 110, stop in & I will lend you a pair of non Rx demos to try in your car in the parking lot. PM me, I'll tell you where.
Thanks Barry. I took your word for it and ordered polarized prescription sunglasses.
Old 01-17-2008 | 02:33 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
all cars today, I guess.)l
Transition lenses need sunlight directly on them for them to darken. I don't mean, you can't wear a baseball cap. Reflected light is OK. I guess it's the same reason you can't tan, if you lie in sunlight but behind clear glass. The glass must filter something, the UVA / B rays?? So, I think its the glass not the tint, that prevents the transition lenses darkening.

I have prescription sun, transition, and polarized glasses. The polarized I wear on bright, but not to sunny days, and I can view the COMAND and controls just fine.

I think I have only worn the transitions for one full day. First, they didn't darken driving to work. They did darken while I walked from the car to the office. Once in the office they took about 20 minutes to go clear again!! If you watch that darn TV ad, with that specky family from the future, you see how quickly the lenses darken and lighten? Well, look in the bottom corner and you'll see the word "simulation".

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 01-17-2008 | 02:38 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Hey, this is like a Long Island thread...except for Jimm. I vote you honorary Long Islander Jimm!! Congrats
Old 01-17-2008 | 02:44 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Actually, I got my polarized lenses first. But I found that they were not helpful enough on really sunny days. Hence I got a another pair of prescription glasses with just their darkest tint. I tend to wear these more often than not when driving.

I think they do cut down reflections, but they just were not dark enough. I got my glasses off Ebay, so it was a bit of a role of the dice. They're kind of like a light green color? Don't know if you can different shades of polarized lenses?

So, my polarized lenses are rarely used. But I am glad I keep them in the car for those particular days when both clear and dark, are not quite sufficient.
Old 01-17-2008 | 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350

jimm

==========

‘08 E350 Sport, P2, Black/black, Parktronic,
Voice, Bluetooth, Burl Walnut, Split rear seat,
Wood/leather steering wheel
Unless they are also ordered as Polarized, lightening & darkening are not the same. Lenses that lighten & darken are either, Photogray Extra (glass only) or plastic SunSensor or Transitions Brand lenses... and they lighten and darken based on the amount of UV light hitting them, not on the amount of visible light hitting them. Most UV light is filtered out by the laminated windshield. Thats why they start to fade, when you get into the car.

Note to all: Polarized lenses are the most comfortable lenses for handling reflected glare. (off of chrome, super clean car bodies, windshields, snow & ice and water. They can be ordered almost clear or in sunglass colors.) Most people say "Polaroid Lenses" wwhen they mean "Photochromic (color changing) lenses" . Photochromic lenses are never as dark as a dedicated sunglass, but are used when a person wants 1 pair to cover as many bases as possible in order not to have to buy 2 different pairs. They also work better (darker) in Winter or in cold climates as the chemisty is temperature sensitive. Thats why all the commercials stress Snow Skiing, LOL.

Polarized lenses filter out certain rays of light from all LCD screens. B&W LCD screens are almost totally obliterated... color screens, less so. Airline Pilots are not supposed to wear them if they have LCD instruments on board.

OK... Optical Store lesson is over.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 01-17-2008 at 06:21 PM.