E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Oil change by drain method possible without ramps?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:02 PM
S93
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change by drain method possible without ramps?

I change oil in my other car. I am planning to change it for the first time in my E320. I plan to do it by the drain method (not the Topsider method).

Can one change the oil easily without ramps? I haven't removed the plastic cover on the bottom of the car yet so I have not located the oil drain plug.

While you are answering the question, where is the oil drain plug? Is it toward the left or driver's side (in LHD cars or US/Canada/Germany/etc cars) and near the front bottom of the car?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
I have done this twice on my 320. I don't think it is possible without increasing the ground clearance. There are two aero trays that interlock (front and rear). I can never remember from one time to the next which is required so I remove both (about 8-10ea 10mm bolts). The car holds 8.5 quarts so make sure your pan is empty. The motor sump is easy to identify. Don't mistake the tranny drain for the engine. I believe that the oil filter holds 6-8 oz of dirty oil until the filter is removed. I would recommend draining the sump, then remove and replace the oil filter BEFORE re-installing the plug with a new or annealed copper washer. I realize it is two trips under the car.
I am just old school enough to believe that washing the pan by draining with warm oil has got to be more effective at getting sludge, babbit, etc out of the motor. Good Luck, it ain't hard.

PS I would start with 8 quarts. Mine flashes overfill intermittently for a couple of weeks with the added 1/2 quart.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:25 PM

mercedes 320
Tray bolt stripped

Recently replaced my 86 560 SEL with an 03 320. Attempted my first oil change today with no ramps or jacking. Got the first 3 bolts out and found one of the rear ones to just turn and turn. Tried to prop the tray for outward pressure while turning - no luck. Anyone else run into this problem before and what was your solution? Love the gas mileage on my newer Benz.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:43 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
Re: Oil Change

I was able to do my 05 E500 pretty easily without jacking or raising the car, I am sure that I could do the E550 too, but took it in for it's 1st oil change and have not tried it as yet.

One needs to remove the 2 covers, 1 under the transmission and then 1 under the oil pan, total of six or 7 8MM bolts. The drain plug was in the center of the car and was a bit of a stretch, but could be loosened and tightened with a 13MM long ratchet.

I always let mine drain for an hour to get as much oil out as possible, and remember to also change the oil filter and also to get a new drain plug washer.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:35 PM
S93
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
I have done this twice on my 320. I don't think it is possible without increasing the ground clearance. There are two aero trays that interlock (front and rear). I can never remember from one time to the next which is required so I remove both (about 8-10ea 10mm bolts).
Can you drain the oil/access the oil drain plug simply by removing the front skid plate? The front plastic skid plate is shown in this post (post #9 by W211 Ryda). https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/234504-please-help-identify-broken-part.html