An Inside First Look At The 2010 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by Oliverk
Strange that you say this. I think the 210 is still a great looking car for something that came out over 12 years ago, and was styled 14 years ago.

Id also say it looks far more modern than the extremely dated 124.

each car is an evolution of the design.

the 124 was the conclusion of one design, and the 210 was the beginning of another. From the spy shots I've seen, the 212 adopts some of the sharp creases of the 204, which is not a good thing, imho. However, if it gets the more aggressive front end, I think it will look nice.

The interior looks quite nice, but not as nice to me as the current CLS, which i think has the best sedan interior in the MB lineup.

You should check out the new S/CL as they will trump the CLS.

The W210 still gets my attention everytime I see one.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by Oliverk
From the spy shots I've seen, the 212 adopts some of the sharp creases of the 204, which is not a good thing, imho. However, if it gets the more aggressive front end, I think it will look nice.

The interior looks quite nice, but not as nice to me as the current CLS, which i think has the best sedan interior in the MB lineup.
Yes, I would agree with the above comments.
It is clear to me that the W212 is going in the same direction as the 204, with much more angular lines.
What is evident from the W212 spy photos is that the softer curves of the W211, both inside and out, will disappear with the W212. I was simply trying to say that this may not necessarily be a positive development.
In the end, styling remains very subjective. You like the look of W210, while many others including myself prefer the current W211 design.
The distinctive from end that is common to both generations looks like it will be much less distinctive in the next generation.
It is unfortunate that the recent Euro standards directed at "pedestrian safety" are resulting in auto manufacturers having to design much taller front ends. The results are evident when you compare the W211 front with that of the W212.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
You should check out the new S/CL as they will trump the CLS.

The W210 still gets my attention everytime I see one.
I actually don't care for the design of the 221 S dash (although the CL is better).

The huge "bump" for the Navigation and the column shifter are not my favorite. The cls has some degree of fluidity and I love the full span of burlwood.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
It takes time to get used to the new EU regulations that have forced mnufacturers to push the NAV screen to the top in line with the IC. But, after spending time behind one its far more convenient than having to look down as in the CLS/E.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C230 SS Komp
One of the test teams is actually here in So California at the moment. They pulled into my parking lot this morning and did a little shopping in my store. So that gave me the opportunity to walked out to get a close look. I knew exactly what was under that horrible disguise. Also got a chance to briefly talk to the driver. He would not verbally confirm anything, but smiled when I knew what it was. It looks like the new E-Class will be bigger then its predecessor.

P.S. To the disguise team. If you really don't want anyone knowing your car, then change the antennae and exhaust tips. IT STILL SCREAMS MERCEDES!!
Old 04-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
do you know if they are taking out the folding rear headrests? this is such a mercedes trademark to me it would be a shame to lose it.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:52 PM

DanielVotTF
Originally Posted by IluvS500
do you know if they are taking out the folding rear headrests? this is such a mercedes trademark to me it would be a shame to lose it.

Not liking that idea, the 211 is already a PIG to park even with the PDC, and limiting rear view even more is not a great idea.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jay_mark_paul
One of the test teams is actually here in So California at the moment. They pulled into my parking lot this morning and did a little shopping in my store. So that gave me the opportunity to walked out to get a close look. I knew exactly what was under that horrible disguise. Also got a chance to briefly talk to the driver. He would not verbally confirm anything, but smiled when I knew what it was. It looks like the new E-Class will be bigger then its predecessor.

P.S. To the disguise team. If you really don't want anyone knowing your car, then change the antennae and exhaust tips. IT STILL SCREAMS MERCEDES!!
I think that they don't want to fully hide it. I am sure it is by no means a coincidence that the cars get more scantily clad as they near the press release. Obviously they are doing some free publicity. Also look at these pics of the interiors. There is no way these were accidents. I'm sure all the car companies take some of these "spy" shots and send them out secretly.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:54 PM

Mercedes C230 SS Komp
Originally Posted by pmb600
I think that they don't want to fully hide it. I am sure it is by no means a coincidence that the cars get more scantily clad as they near the press release. Obviously they are doing some free publicity. Also look at these pics of the interiors. There is no way these were accidents. I'm sure all the car companies take some of these "spy" shots and send them out secretly.
No actually I think they still want extreme secrecy on the car even at this point. The driver made a special point to park the car between two other large trucks to keep veering eyes away. There was such a ridiculous amount of black tape on the hood holding down some of the camouflage pieces, some of my customers thought the car was a practical joke. If I had my camera I suppose I could have taken some great shots of the interior, but i did not want to come across as threatening. It gave me the opportunity to have a nice chat w/ the driver.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Originally Posted by baxterdown
Hey, did you guys notice the back-up camera?

I couldn't get the image to link directly, so here's the website link. Look at image 7 (bottom left).

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...ass_spied.html

Jose
You can see the wood cup holder sliding cover in pic #3. Also I can identify the Airmatic spring setting switch, the ESP switch, tranny mode (C/S) switch, plus heated seats, ventilated seats, and maybe a sport button for dynamic handling package. What is more interesting is the area below the buttons on dash... is that the 6-disc changer or what?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:52 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Is it just me or does someone else hate the new steering wheels ? Both the new C-Class, the new SL and the all the other new models have this cheap looking plastic steering wheel which, in my option, looks hideous. It looks like it came from an American car. People on e90 post were comparing it to the steering wheel of a Chevy and as much as I hate to admit it they were right. The cup holders are exposed which is not really stylish and I'm not too crazy about the C-Class style armrest in the middle that opens up in the middle. I'm sorry to say but MB is loosing on their reputation which they were known for style and comfort. I'm a die hard MB fan and its painful for me to see them dull the cars down like this. I had a luxury C-Class which is night and day compared to the current C-Class. I'm afraid the same is going to be happening with the E-Class. God I hope I'm wrong.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 Infiniti I30
Originally Posted by IluvS500
it looks like we have another winner...the only thing I'll miss is the shifter being on the center console. I don't like these new shift levers like the BMW's and Mercedes all seem to be getting these days.
I feel the same way about the shifter. I have no love for electronic shift levers, nor do I understand the trend toward using them. IMHO, column shifters only belong on pickup trucks and full size vans.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Captain Spadaro
IMHO, column shifters only belong on pickup trucks and full size vans.
And Buicks...
Old 06-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 Infiniti I30
And Buicks...
Yes. I knew I was forgetting something.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
And Buicks...
Grand Nationals have console shifters...
Old 06-15-2008, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I feel the same way about the shifter. I have no love for electronic shift levers, nor do I understand the trend toward using them. IMHO, column shifters only belong on pickup trucks and full size vans.
Do you mean you don't like column shifters and you don't like electronic shifters or do you assume those have something in common?

Column shifters have been mechanical equally to others. But on a modern car (like with the 722.9 tranny), control would anyway be electronic. Think about the mechanics from the steering wheel buttons if it was not.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
You should just stay in your Infiniti I30 then. Clearly a Mercedes might be a bit too much on the forefront on technology for you.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
I just have a problem with the column portion, I have nothing against any shift-by-wire or anything like that. I like what BMW did with the 2008 5-series, they switched to an electronic shifter, but left it in the center consol so it feels familiar.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 Infiniti I30
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Do you mean you don't like column shifters and you don't like electronic shifters or do you assume those have something in common?

Column shifters have been mechanical equally to others. But on a modern car (like with the 722.9 tranny), control would anyway be electronic. Think about the mechanics from the steering wheel buttons if it was not.
It's the fully electronic shifters (07-up S-class, 02-up 7-series, 08-up 5-series) that I have a problem with. I'm used to the shifter being directly connected to the transmission. Plus, the idea of a column shifter in cars like the E- and S-class just seems...alien, particularly since those cars have used floor shifters for decades.

I have no problem with electronically controlled transmissions, mind you; they're awesome.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just have a problem with the column portion, I have nothing against any shift-by-wire or anything like that. I like what BMW did with the 2008 5-series, they switched to an electronic shifter, but left it in the center consol so it feels familiar.
This is what MB did with the E-class. Usually MB hides electronics from the driver. When they are used to the gear shift lever, it is better to have a "simulated lever". With SBC brakes they did not remove the brake pedal (OK, not completely the same).

But the Comand controller is so much easier to use when the gear lever is not obstructing anything, the same for the few buttons. Even if the W221 shifter may feel more difficult to use than the traditional one (I could partly agree with that, specifically when driving different cars often) but the overall compromise is far better.

I'm still puzzled how would they do it on an E-class when a manual tranny too is an option.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:38 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 Infiniti I30
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
This is what MB did with the E-class. Usually MB hides electronics from the driver. When they are used to the gear shift lever, it is better to have a "simulated lever". With SBC brakes they did not remove the brake pedal (OK, not completely the same).

But the Comand controller is so much easier to use when the gear lever is not obstructing anything, the same for the few buttons. Even if the W221 shifter may feel more difficult to use than the traditional one (I could partly agree with that, specifically when driving different cars often) but the overall compromise is far better.

I'm still puzzled how would they do it on an E-class when a manual tranny too is an option.
Maybe a manual tranny isn't on the table for the new generation E-class. As I recall, a Benz exec said in an interview/feature on the W221 that since there was no need for a manual transmission in the new S-class, moving the shifter up to the steering column was "a no-brainer".
Old 06-16-2008, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Maybe a manual tranny isn't on the table for the new generation E-class. As I recall, a Benz exec said in an interview/feature on the W221 that since there was no need for a manual transmission in the new S-class, moving the shifter up to the steering column was "a no-brainer".
But the difference is I don't think they have in recent history had a manual trans available on the S-Class anywhere in the world? If I recall I think all W140 and W220s had automatic transmissions.

The W211 is a different story, many of the models in ROW still come with manual transmissions.

I could see this going away completely, since I don't think they would want to have two completely different systems as I'm sure that would be incredibly expensive to design and manufactuer the two.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

But the difference is I don't think they have in recent history had a manual trans available on the S-Class anywhere in the world? If I recall I think all W140 and W220s had automatic transmissions.

The W211 is a different story, many of the models in ROW still come with manual transmissions.

I could see this going away completely, since I don't think they would want to have two completely different systems as I'm sure that would be incredibly expensive to design and manufacture the two.
Just like I was about to write. Agree completely. I guess we have to wait a bit more for the questions being answered.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 Infiniti I30

I could see this going away completely, since I don't think they would want to have two completely different systems as I'm sure that would be incredibly expensive to design and manufactuer the two.
If my understanding is correct, when production of the W220 started, a manual transmission was available with certain engines, but only in Europe.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
If my understanding is correct, when production of the W220 started, a manual transmission was available with certain engines, but only in Europe.
I just checked Wikipedia, I know not 100% reliable, but it's a good place to start as I'm not sure where else to get detailed specs for past models.

It says that the W220 had only the 5-speed automatic (this refers to all models globally) or the 7-speed automatic. I was incorrect about the W140 according to Wikipedia as it says there was a 6-speed manual offered somewhere in the world at some point.

I know less and less people are choosing manuals in the United States, I wonder if this is true in Europe as well. If so, this could explain Mercedes decision to potentially drop manuals altogether on the W212 E-Class.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: An Inside First Look At The 2010 Mercedes-Benz E-Class