E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Does All Mercedes Benz's Pull to the Right??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Exclamation Does All Mercedes Benz's Pull to the Right??

Well, I dropped off my E for service the other day. It has a list of problems, the biggest being that the car stopped producing heat? Good thing I live in Florida and it's 85 degrees!!

Anyway, another problem is that the car always pulls to the right. When I mentioned this to my service associate, he told me that all Benz's pull to the Right. He said I could take out a new S550 and it will do it. He then went on to tell me that it also has someting to do with Florida roads.

Does anyone else have this problem. I am starting to think that they don't want to fix the problem if there is a problem. It is a CPO, so I think I would be covered. I was thinking of having it looked at by another dealer or one of those private MB servicing centers.

Thanks for the responses.

Joe
Old 04-26-2008, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
My '07 never pulled to the right untill it was almost a year old, (11,000 gentle MI) then it pulled so hard to the right that I had to hold my steering wheel to the left to travel in a straight line. (face of a clock-about 2 hours to the left). If I took my hands off the wheel It would run off the right side of the lane within 300 feet.

They checked all the usual things first, then installed a Camber(?) Bolt Kit & did an Alignment & it tracks perfectly again. $329.00 incld tax. Had I brought it in a Month earlier (still only had 11,500 miles on the clock, but over the 12th Month) it would have been covered by the warranty, but I just couldn't fit it into my schedule... Whatever. They have a "Kit" to fix the pull & Its fixed & I'm loving the ride again.

Bottom line is MBUSA wouldn't have a known cure for the situation unless a statistically significant nummber of 211 E's did have a pulling to the right issue.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 04-27-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:02 AM

2007 S550 (S65 Package)
my 03 E500 pulls to the right but im not sure if its because of the wheels.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLB 2023
Just got my 08 350 a few days ago and it pulls to the right very little though..Don't know if I should take it to the dealer
Old 04-27-2008, 04:28 AM

03 e320
when's the last time you guys got an alignment?
Old 04-27-2008, 05:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
That is nonsense. It would have to be the road, tires or an alignment. Of course a Mercedes doesn't pull to the right, when in optimal condition they track straight and true. Must be the road, tires or something else is off, pulling to the right isn't the default.

M
Old 04-27-2008, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Germancar1
That is nonsense. It would have to be the road, tires or an alignment. Of course a Mercedes doesn't pull to the right, when in optimal condition they track straight and true. Must be the road, tires or something else is off, pulling to the right isn't the default.

M
It would have to be the road, tires or an alignment.

My guess is alignment with caster being within specs but not enough +caster on the right wheel. This will show in the cross caster numbers. Typically the shops will set the #'s to the center of the range. But if your car pulls right you can add some + caster on the right wheel to help this problem. The problem comes in when the wheel won't adjust. This is when you have to install the Factory parts (camber kit) to allow for this adjustment.

If you have a really good shop you can discuss this with them and they can cover the options. Too many times the shop has a "average" person doing the alignment that just sets it to middle of the range spec. The reason you have a range is to allow for some deviations in car, road tires etc. The + caster adjustment can be made and still in range,, just not the center of the range.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:22 AM

2018 GLE350 4matic
Pulling to the Right?

My 07 E350 with 14K miles doesn't pull to the right here in VA it tracks straight, I can take my hands off the wheel and car stays where pointed.
I think I would go for an alignment.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 350 4Matic EClass Sport Edition and 2003 500SL & 2010 Range Rover Sport
Bull!

The Mercedes is one of the finest cars in the world. It DOES NOT by nature pull to the right. If it does....you have a problem, and if a Dealer says it should pull to the right....that Dealer is wrong.

I've had more than several Mercedes over the years, and they don't pull to the left or right. They track straight and true unless the road is pitched badly in one direction or the other.

Stan
Old 04-27-2008, 10:43 AM

2014 S550 4Matic
Hi,

I have had similar issues in the past. From what I can tell, I have good enough setup when:

(1) Driving in the left lane, the car has a slight left pull
(2) Driving in the right lane, the car has a slight right pull

The above two show that the car is following the natural grade of the road.

Having chased "pull" issues in the past (my previous car, a M3), another factor that dictates pull are the tires themselves--rotating tires left to right and vice versa can get rid of the problem, although I had a set that basically did the pull to the very end.

The most obvious culprit is obviously alignment and camber/castor adjustment...

My 2 cents...

ttsidd
2006 E350 4Matic
Old 04-27-2008, 12:32 PM
GGM

2008 E350
Originally Posted by JoeyBE320
Well, I dropped off my E for service the other day. It has a list of problems, the biggest being that the car stopped producing heat? Good thing I live in Florida and it's 85 degrees!!

Anyway, another problem is that the car always pulls to the right. When I mentioned this to my service associate, he told me that all Benz's pull to the Right. He said I could take out a new S550 and it will do it. He then went on to tell me that it also has someting to do with Florida roads.

Does anyone else have this problem. I am starting to think that they don't want to fix the problem if there is a problem. It is a CPO, so I think I would be covered. I was thinking of having it looked at by another dealer or one of those private MB servicing centers.

Joe
Where in Florida are you? My former C240 did the same thing when I first got it. I took it in and after a small disagreement with the SA about Florida roads and that I had been driving on them for 30 years but never had the problem until I bought a Mercedes and that I bought a Mercedes because they were supposed to be the best engineered cars on the planet, they did a "goodwill" alignment which seemed to fix it. It was "goodwill" since the car was a year old with 17,000 miles on it but it had been a dealership loaner before I bought it. I think they wanted to keep my business (and it did help when it came time to buy the present E350). The E350 hasn't had an issue yet--knock on wood. If you search the forums you will find many threads on this issue. Printing out some replies in the forums which support your case, especially from posters in Florida, may help your case. My experience has been with MB of Orlando in Maitland.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by GGM; 04-27-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
When I mentioned this to my service associate, he told me that all Benz's pull to the Right. He said I could take out a new S550 and it will do it.
Take any Demo car out for a ride...I'll bet that it doesn't pull to either side. They're not supposed to! Your S/A is yanking your chain, so find another one.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:57 PM

You got a snow job in FL

Seriously, the only time either of the 2 Benzes I have had pulled was due to improper tire pressure inflation or the pot hole that I hit in February, and that bent 2 wheels.

Does the car vibrate at any speed? You may have an out of round tire, but that would cause a vibration and not necessarily pulling.

I know that FL roads do not have pot holes from the old freeze thaw. So, either your tire pressure is off or you have something bent...or you may have gotten snow.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
None of the MB's I have ever owned pulled to the right unless I was driving on a crowned road. My current 05 E 4M tracks like its on rails. Do not buy that explanation and find another SA at the dealership.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
Originally Posted by ttsidd
Hi,

I have had similar issues in the past. From what I can tell, I have good enough setup when:

(1) Driving in the left lane, the car has a slight left pull
(2) Driving in the right lane, the car has a slight right pull

The above two show that the car is following the natural grade of the road.

Having chased "pull" issues in the past (my previous car, a M3), another factor that dictates pull are the tires themselves--rotating tires left to right and vice versa can get rid of the problem, although I had a set that basically did the pull to the very end.

The most obvious culprit is obviously alignment and camber/castor adjustment...

My 2 cents...

ttsidd
2006 E350 4Matic
Do you have Airmatic? I read previous posts that follow your observance of "road crown". My 03 e500 wasn't that bad, but after 10k of changing the lower ball joints, it went bad. I never had it aligned yet because it doesn't bother me that much (yet) and my tires seem to have normal wear (except more so in the inner part of the tire on the driver side front - probably from driver weight driving it 90% alone).
Old 04-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,433 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
Well known problem, camber/caster kits have been used on all w211 models since inception to correct pulling in either direction – most often right. Camber adjustment corrects drifting however, does not affect tire wear.

To those with new vehicles wheel alignment, “road force” balancing, and brake squeal are all covered, no questions asked, by MBUSA for the first 12,000 miles/12 months whichever comes first so I would suggest taking advantage (for lack of a better term) during this period.

Extended warranty coverage depends on how the warranty reads however, given the available kit and its purpose I would not entirely rule out coverage or a goodwill alignment depending on the dealership and your relationship with them – the problem is well known.

When I mentioned this to my service associate, he told me that all Benz's pull to the Right. He said I could take out a new S550 and it will do it. He then went on to tell me that it also has something to do with Florida roads.
CPO should cover the correction, request to speak with the service manager and shop foreman who both should be well aware of the camber/caster kit and its purpose. BTW, take them up on their offer to test drive the S550!!
Old 04-27-2008, 06:41 PM

2014 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by MercFiveHundred
Do you have Airmatic? I read previous posts that follow your observance of "road crown". My 03 e500 wasn't that bad, but after 10k of changing the lower ball joints, it went bad. I never had it aligned yet because it doesn't bother me that much (yet) and my tires seem to have normal wear (except more so in the inner part of the tire on the driver side front - probably from driver weight driving it 90% alone).
No airmatic. I actually don't have a problem, just voicing what I consider normal.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Smile Nice

Originally Posted by b_rashed
my 03 E500 pulls to the right but im not sure if its because of the wheels.
Sweet Ride Bro!!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:39 PM

2012 E350 sport
My car an 08 e350 pulled to the right all the time. Alignment job solved the problem.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:19 AM

E500 & ML500
Originally Posted by hpd177
My car an 08 e350 pulled to the right all the time. Alignment job solved the problem.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLB 2023
brought my 08 e350 to the dealer and they checked the alignment. They said there was no problem, pulling to the right was because of road crowning
Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
It'd be helpful if the SAs used more precise language. A properly aligned car will track straight on a level road, pulling neither right nor left, but will drift left or right on a crowned road.

To say that a car "pulls" because of the crown on the road isn't correct and just confuses things.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by cleankutazn
brought my 08 e350 to the dealer and they checked the alignment. They said there was no problem, pulling to the right was because of road crowning
They probably sell bridges in their spare time. It should not pull if driven on a flat road. Crown will make a difference. You can drive on either side of the crown and confirm the effect of crown. But flat roads,, drive it straight.

They are setting alignment for center of range and not compensating for the pull with caster. But then they may never know and you might need to find someone else that can do the work. ASK for a printed copy of the initial and final alignment numbers then check for center of range.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:17 PM

'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,

Joe
Let me get this straight....You own one of the finest mass produced cars in the world and u've been told by the dealer that pulling is normal? AND Florida roads contribute to this? I, I, I, don't understand. Its like a regulator telling a Bank they did a bad thing by not having sub-prime loans, bec. the Bank did not help those that wanted to buy a "piece o' the pie".....

You can refute both claims. Do your other cars pull? If not, then its not the road. And tell them u're going to call MBUSA, and state that this dealer is saying "all MB's pull to the right".....

BTW, where are you?????
Old 05-01-2008, 07:25 PM

2012 E63 AMG Wagon
Fail.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does All Mercedes Benz's Pull to the Right??