E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Why should new E have problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 320
Angry New E :- List of known problems

Reading on the board it appears that numerous owners have reported problems with the new E. All cars can have some problems, but doesn't it surprise one that a car priced at over $50000 should have so many of them?

The Hondas and Toyotas have made a reputation for not having problems usually. If a car costing $20000 can have such a reputation, is it possible that MB can do the same to add to its reputation for making one of the finest cars in the world?

(Not at all trying to compare Japanese cars to Germans. Also agree that many of the problems reported were not major i.e. cupholder, glove compartment, coin holder, garage door programming) but others were not i.e. drive to neutral on freeway, oil leak, pulling to the right, sunroof difficulty.)

Last edited by IQguy; 12-16-2002 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:55 PM

Most of them are because the manuals are not read completely., and the car is doing what it is supposed to do.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:56 PM

I would have to agree with you to a point. But considering that it is a new design I expected certain number of issues. Regardless, I LOVE my car, and if I had to do it again, I would purchase it again... I love how look, drives, and all of the features. Keep in mind, this is a VERY complex vehicle. All of the problems that folks talk about on this forum can be fixed. I'm with you on one thing, I wish my car that costed me $66K did not have all of these problems, but at the same time a magic wand did not make the car for me. I would buy it again!
Old 12-10-2002, 03:03 PM

You are not paying $50k plus for a car that is trouble-free - you are paying for increased performance, technological innovation, ride quality, interior quality, service (in some cases anyway) and luxury. Never has a car been priced based on its reliability, and if that's most important to you, then buy an Accord - it's that simple. Most European car owners buy their car because they want the experience that a European car offers (the aforementioned items as well as many others), not because it's going to be the most reliable or gas-friendly vehicle on the road. I have to admit, I'm amazed by the reliability of a Japanese car, and I know people who don't take their car in (even for an oil change) in 25k miles plus! Unfortunately, they are still Japanese cars and have no 'life', and therefore I'm not buying any more of them. I had my stint with the reliable, predictable vehicles, switched to European with all its glitches and problems, but there's no going back for me now...
Old 12-10-2002, 03:07 PM

Problems?

We've heard from one owner concerning an oil leak...I'm pretty sure at least one Toyota and/or Honda has leaked oil.

Garage door programming isn't necessarily easy for any car (especially with garage doors with rolling codes)...I recently programmed a neighbors car (Lexus) only because he couldn't figure it out. Rarely is the problem with the car.

Cupholders and glove boxes are not problems...they are "desires"....some people want big cupholders, while some don't care. Frankly, the size of the cupholder and glovebox should have been no surprise. I saw them online, in the brochure, on the showroom floor, in the car I test drove and in the E500 I ordered and received.

Transmissions and steering...well, these are potential problems that should be addressed.

Finally, I am confident that a forum (such as this) designed for Toyota and Honda owners would also voice similar problems and complaints.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:10 PM

2003 E320
cupholders

maybe it's just me but if cupholders are your biggest gripe, consider yourself lucky.

Rock.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Re: Problems?

Originally posted by gobenz

Finally, I am confident that a forum (such as this) designed for Toyota and Honda owners would also voice similar problems and complaints.
While many of your points make sense, I Moderate "a forum (such as this) designed for Toyota owners," and the problems mentioned are very minor, and the posters usually admit such. Especially after reviewing sites dedicated to BIG 3 American makes.

However, as with the E500, the bulk of issues were caused by the first model year of a brand new vehicle (Toyota's full size truck that came out in MY 2000). It's simple. First year designs will always have more bugs than subsequent years.

EDJ
Old 12-10-2002, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

First year bugs are a given. They will occur after such a drastic desgin. I personally hope that is the reason and not a greater decline in MB quality from the contagious Chrysler virus. Word is the Chrysler virus has no cure.:p

On a more serious note however, those minor quirks (not the major probs like the transmission) are quite annoying. I can relate to the fact that when I pay over $60,000 I expect something better in terms of quality. Already on my new CLK, my sunroom is screwed up (exactly the same problem someone mentioned on his new E), the sunroof rattles with bass, and I believe a bracket in my rear pillar airbag is loose because it makes the most annoying noise. Don't get me wrong, the car drives great, engine is wonderful, and the fit of the interior is high quality for the most part. A perfectionist like myself gets a little irriated when minor annoyances (sp?) like these surface up...but more so when you pay so much $$$. What's even worse is when the service department won't addresses some of a owner's concerns
Old 12-10-2002, 08:07 PM

How to avoid most problems

The most prevalent problem seems to be associated with the teleaid system. Here's a clue - don't activate it. My E500 has been flawless so far, but I stayed away from the exotic options like the TPM, automated cruise control, drive dynamic seats, etc. I learned my lesson the hard way from the BMW 745. KISS.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:44 PM

E 320
practical point but why?

MB buyers in general have achieved some financial success. One buys such cars for pleasure not for a necessity. Avoiding the fency options for the fear of possible malfunction defeats the purpose partially.

Oh well, I have to end by stating that I have ordered my new E despite all these problems with new E.......(go figure!)
Old 12-11-2002, 12:48 AM

Remember also that there are huge differences in technical levels between the Honda and a Benz. If Benz decided to try and make a Honda, I doubt they'd have many problems.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:42 PM

E 320
Missing the point

The point is not to prove that MB is a great car. Ofcourse it is.
The point is wouldn't it be terrific if MB provided reliability that others have succeeded in providing with all the technological advances !

List of new model E problems include:
1. Tele Aid malfunction.
2. Drive to sudden Neutral in transmission
3. Pulling to the right
4. Oil leak (yes only one posted her so far)
5. Minors that we will not recount.

Also, these are reported by the few MB enthusiasts on this forum. May be there are many more new E owners out there unaware of this forum and having some other issues as well.

Yes, we all love MB and have bought new E and will buy (hopefully) in the future as well, but MB future growth in Lexus direction would be preferable than in Chrysler direction........
Old 12-14-2002, 01:43 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Don't forget the ticking noise motor mount problem. To me that is probably the biggest of all the problems talked about so far..
Old 12-16-2002, 05:26 PM

E 320
one more

Radio problems added in the post.

previously mentioned :

List of new model E problems include:
1. Tele Aid malfunction.
2. Drive to sudden Neutral in transmission
3. Pulling to the right
4. Oil leak (yes only one posted her so far)

With the checklist of things for new E.
Problems for the new E.
This should help new buyers know that they are lucky/ with the norm depending on the problems they have /do not have.