new e55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 mercedes clk coupe
new e55

yesterday i had mb factory rep meeting me to check my clk and he told me the best car will be the new e55

guy was soo obssed with the car and he asked me to get that next. He also recomended the audi quatro this guy works for a benz and said he ll take an audi quatro over any benz

just to share ..
Old 12-10-2002, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
apparently Jeremy Clarkson did a review of the supersedans (like everybody else has) RS6, E55, S-type R, and M5, and even though he just recently purchased an E55, he chose the RS6 over the E55, mostly because of 'grip', and quattro really does have grip, that's for sure, and with that much power, it is hugely beneficial...
Old 12-10-2002, 06:50 PM

SLK 350 '05
who's jeremy clarkson?
Old 12-10-2002, 07:14 PM

famous car reviewer - with Top Gear
Old 12-10-2002, 07:22 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Top Gear is the UK's best motoring website, with daily news, car reviews, games,
a massive database of new and used cars and online buying opportunities. ...

http://www.topgear.com/
Old 12-10-2002, 07:56 PM

E55 vs E500 vs RS 6

I'm first in line at my dealership for the E55, but my E500 has been so flawless and such a pleasure to drive I'm forcing myself to take a reality test. I've owned 3 modified cars which dyno'd over 500hp plus a viper and 2 M5's. Here's the reality check. These cars are a hoot to drive, but very frustrating to own because 98% of the time due to traffic and enforcement you can't use them the way you'd like to. The E55 appealed to me because of the stealth factor, but it's not going to be easy giving up my "perfect so far" E500. IMO the quattro argument is way overrated. Its main attribute is grip during a drag strip launch or coming out of a hard turn. You still need winter tires, it adds weight and I find the handling sluggish. The RS6 is a one year only production in the USA. Put Audi's reliability reputation together with a limited production car and you'll probably find weak dealer support capabilities for this model.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:23 PM

ajoe - you have an E500 but are waiting for the E55 also? How do you plan on trading in the E500? Aren't you going to take a major hit on this?

I was driving around today and wondered about the E55, as that's my top pick right now, and I'm almost ready to sign up permanently, and I just wondered when, if ever, one could use the capabilities of such a car truly. You could bolt from a light pretty quickly, then slow down to 40mph until the next light. You can't take any corners really fast legally, and yes, it will be sweet on the freeways at passing speed, but you can't go 150 like on the autobahn. You obviously are one who has had some incredible driving machines with spectacular performance, so I'd like to get your take on it...
Old 12-10-2002, 09:16 PM

14 'E550
Re: E55 vs E500 vs RS 6

Originally posted by ajoe
I'm first in line at my dealership for the E55, but my E500 has been so flawless and such a pleasure to drive I'm forcing myself to take a reality test. I've owned 3 modified cars which dyno'd over 500hp plus a viper and 2 M5's. Here's the reality check. These cars are a hoot to drive, but very frustrating to own because 98% of the time due to traffic and enforcement you can't use them the way you'd like to.
I agree 100%, our E500 is plenty fast for where I am located (Long Island). There is simply so much traffic, that there is really nowhere you can take advantage of these extremely powerful cars. Maybe around 12 midnight you can go flying down the roads/highways...but that's about it. The congestion is only getting worse by the day/month/year. I have/had plenty of fast cars and I can say (which I can't believe I'm doing) 400hp+ is most certainly a bit of overkill in real busy areas. Mind you, I don't mind overkill but when it costs $20-$25k more than an already very quick car I am starting to come to my senses.

So, while I agree these cars can be fun to drive (when you're actually able use their abilities) and do make a nice statement.....their usefulness really is limited, in my case at least.

Last edited by Beltfed; 12-10-2002 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Those are all excellent well thought out posts. They make outstanding points concerning "upgrading" from a E-500.

I note that it is not about money but about the sense of having a car that you can't really drive as it is intended.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:17 PM

Having owned a recent A8 I can vouch for the fact that the Audi quattro is great in winter, and good for cornering at all times....
but there are some major downsides to owning an Audi:

1) reliability is not as good as MB and BMW (and neither MB or BMW are stellar these days)

2) steering and handling are more sluggish than on the AMG and BMW's I've had

3) interior looks and feels vanilla and outdated, even when the new models come out; Audi prides itself on being conservative in all styling manners...almost to its detriment.

4) resale on Audis is terrible. Check any used car blue book reference

5) The 2 Audi dealerships I'm familiar with have been abysmal when it comes to customer service and such. One story I love/hate telling is when I went to pick up my pre-ordered A8 it already had 200 miles on it!! I was furious and demanded an explanation. "Oh the dealership owner took it out this weekend because he had some friends in town"! It was the end of the year run, last of Sept and no more were available at that price so I had the choice of walking away and probably not getting anything similar, certainly not at that price, or accepting the violation. I have since told anyone and everyone to avoid this dealership and why, and I'm sure the owner's 'attitude' has cost him some business.
If I cared enough I'd have contacted Audi AG to file a complaint.
I hear the place is about to lose its franchise, so justice is being served.

6) Audi makes some very pleasing cars. I really liked the A8 I had. But being an Audi fan is like being a Cubs or Red Sox fan. At the end of the day, you're always looking up at someone who does it just a little bit better. Gets very old.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:40 AM

2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t Quattro Sport
the RS6 is amazing ... the suspension must be the most advanced for the sports sedan pack, but the weight is a drawback

im waiting for the RS4 Avant to come out to trade in my A4 Avant for that suckers

you gotta admit a RS6 Avant is the most amazing Wagon out there
Old 12-13-2002, 09:44 AM

Indeed a wagon that can smoke any vehicle on the road but for perhaps a Ferrari Modena, Dodge Viper, Corvette Z06 and Porsche GT2 is ultimately awesome, but alas, the U.S. won't be getting any RS6 Avants - only Saloons...
Old 12-13-2002, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
beltfed, where on Long Island

I'm in Smithtown, and I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I have been thinking of upgrading tires/wheels on myE500 and was thinking how I can barely get the car out of 2nd gear most of the time around here!! Geez, I can't remember the last time I pulled my radar detector out of the glove box. There are some good spots though where you can open it up every now and then. But for the most part, it's incredibly frustrating.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:57 PM

14 'E550
cte430......small world, I'm in Smithtown as well. You speak the truth, Nassau county is even worse. There is very little opportunity to enjoy these cars to their fullest.
Old 12-14-2002, 02:44 PM

2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t Quattro Sport
aww that sucks .. i guess the draw back of NY ??

in Cali, we got some great areas to go driving in
Old 12-14-2002, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
With all that said, does modifying your E500 with AMG aero kit, AMG 4-pipe exhaust and 18" AMG E55 wheels be more sensible than getting an E55?

Being a poseur here are we??? Seriously, if you like the aggressive look of the E55, this maybe the more practical route to take.

Hey, Tony Montana where are you? Pictures please.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:07 PM

14 'E550
Originally posted by benggolf
Being a poseur here are we??? Seriously, if you like theaggressive look of the E55, this maybe the more practical route to take.
Not at all (I know you're kidding), the AMG styling package was available on the E-class before any factory AMG models were even available.

Plus the AMG package is standard on the CLK500 and optional on most of the product line.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Originally posted by Beltfed
Not at all (I know you're kidding), the AMG styling package was available on the E-class before any factory AMG models were even available.
Not here in Canada. Specifying the sport package for the E-Class makes it look like the Avantgarde model in Europe! Guess the sport option in the USA gets you the AMG aero kit. You guys in the States are lucky!
Old 12-14-2002, 11:19 PM

14 'E550
Originally posted by benggolf
Not here in Canada. Specifying the sport package for the E-Class makes it look like the Avantgarde model in Europe! Guess the sport option in the USA gets you the AMG aero kit. You guys in the States are lucky!
Nope it doesn't here either, just the Avantgarde look........which is nice but still