E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Sound from HK and Ashtray insert

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 03:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound from HK and Ashtray insert

Does anyone hear a static like sound from the HK front speakers when listening to certain radio stations (even when the reception is good) or when listening to mp3's (through a cd cassette adaptor)? I find that when I listen to cd's the sound is usually perfect. Also, does anybody know the part number for the ashtray insert? I am still having trouble with getting this item and nobody at mercedes has ever heard of it.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I haven't noticed any particular static, but then I may just have thought it was a reception problem

The ashtray insert is a mystery problem. I have no idea why some have them and some don't. I had heard of the rubber mat insert on this board before I picked my car up. I looked in the glove compartment, where it was supposed to be and it was not there. I told my salesman that I wasn't leaving without one. He had never heard of it either. We looked in cars on the floor and I found one in a E-320 along with the sun roof crank that I was also missing.
I would suggest you go back to your salesman and kind of look thru the inventory until you find one. I don't think you are going to get one any other way. My salesman said he asked the parts manager and he said he had no documentation on it and did not know it existed. It is a real good thing to have.

Good luck...let us know how it went.

Ed
Old 12-14-2002, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Way off subject:

I want to check my connection speed on my dsl but have lost the site address for checking speeds. I did have a couple and they worked pretty well but can't find them.

Among others, MBWorld seems to be getting slower and slower.
I don't know if it is my connection or MBWorlds bandwidth.

Anyone know the site address for checking dsl connections?

Ed
Old 12-14-2002, 11:36 PM

2013 S550
Speed Tests

There are quite a few places to test. My results vary in the 2 -3 MB/sec for download and 366 kb/sec upload. Try some of these:

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

http://bos.speakeasy.net/

http://www.cable-modem.net/features/oct99/speed.html

http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed/Checkup.php?L=tw

http://home.austin.rr.com/bc/bandwidth.htm
Old 12-14-2002, 11:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
Originally posted by etenn
Way off subject:

Anyone know the site address for checking dsl connections?

Ed

Try this link: click on "Speed Test"

http://www.dslreports.com/tools
Old 12-15-2002, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Thanks guys...I will check them out.

I hope Zandorf finds his ashtray mat and gets some feedback on the static on his audio. Didn't mean to change his thread, but do appreciate the quick help.

Ed
Old 12-15-2002, 02:53 AM

'03 E320
ashtray insert p/n

Part number on my ashtray rubber insert;
A211 683 00 51

Good Luck

Last edited by briar; 12-16-2002 at 05:55 AM.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the input guys. Briar, I will call up mercedes with that part number you gave and let you all know what happens. The static I believe is probably due to a poorly recorded source (mp3) and basic interference when tuning into radio stations. I'm just assuming this because the sound is perfect when I hear music from an original cd.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Static

Yeah, twice now I have heard some very strange static from the radio. The first time, it scared the cr*p out of me. It started real faint, sounding like it was coming from the walnut trim that goes across the dash. It got louder and louder, almost like the sound velcro makes when tearing off. The radio shut off, and I turned it back on and all was well. The second time was last night and just went away. Oh well, technology i guess.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Static Info.

Are you using Logic 7 when experiencing your static problems? If so, the issue is probably do to weak signals (even though they may APPEAR to be strong). The Logic 7 setting decodes surround channels from typical 2-channel sources to 'enhance' the listening environment. If the signal coming in has poor quality, you may not be able to hear it in a typical 2-channel stereo mode. The Logic 7 wil amplify the inefficieny as one or more of the channels decoded may be comprised almost solely of the static sound.

Nick
Old 12-16-2002, 04:24 PM

2003 MB E500
Re: Static Info.

Originally posted by UNC Nick
Are you using Logic 7 when experiencing your static problems? If so, the issue is probably do to weak signals (even though they may APPEAR to be strong). The Logic 7 setting decodes surround channels from typical 2-channel sources to 'enhance' the listening environment. If the signal coming in has poor quality, you may not be able to hear it in a typical 2-channel stereo mode. The Logic 7 wil amplify the inefficieny as one or more of the channels decoded may be comprised almost solely of the static sound.

Nick
That's right and the manual says that it may be better to switch from logic 7 to stereo if the station has static because logic 7 will make it worse
Old 12-25-2002, 12:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Tried calling two parts departments with that part number Briar gave. Both departments said it came up as a "liner" Neither of them had it and said that it would have to be ordered. One of them said it costs $5. Now I wonder why I wasted my time. I wonder if other people in New York ran into the same problem with this ashtray liner. Anyway, I couldn't give a rat's *** anymore, i'm done with this ashtray liner nonsense.
Old 12-25-2002, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Originally posted by Zandorf
Tried calling two parts departments with that part number Briar gave. Both departments said it came up as a "liner" Neither of them had it and said that it would have to be ordered. One of them said it costs $5. Now I wonder why I wasted my time. I wonder if other people in New York ran into the same problem with this ashtray liner. Anyway, I couldn't give a rat's *** anymore, i'm done with this ashtray liner nonsense.
It was supposed to be part of your delivery package. Just tell them to order it (free to you) and mail it to you. BTW it probably would come up "liner" as it lines the ashtray compartment in place of the ashtray insert. It is worth having.

Ed
Old 12-25-2002, 11:25 PM

E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
Unhappy 6cd changer stopped working after static started

Thought you might want to hear about this. I have the in-dash 6cd changer and while I was on my way home the 'static' sound started up. I wasn't sure why it started but once it did I muted the sound to see if it was the stereo or something else. The sounds disappeared but when I unmuted, the static returned. I changed to a different CD in the changer and the sound remained. THEN the CD Changer stopped working altogether.

I have, since then, not been able to play cds in the changer. I cannot add or remove cds and the changer itself is completely unresponsive even after several key/power cycles of the system.

My radio now doesn't even recognize that the cds are in the changer as it once did.

My guess is that there may be a burned out fuse, and that the static was an indication of the fuse blowing.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to get into the front fuse panel but, after reading the manual, I am unable to release the cover panel. I don't want to risk damaging the panel retainage clips. Can anyone indicate wheather the fuse for the 6cd changer is in the front panel or the set in the trunk.

Thanks for any info.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Almost a Member!

Update

The people from 1-800 MERCEDES called back and agreed that the ashtray insert was suppose to be a part of the delivery package and said that the part was suppose to be in the tool bag in the trunk. They said to contact the sales manager at the dealership and that they would order it. I contacted the sales manager who forwarded me to my salesman who said that he would "look into it." I'm sure this is because he still has no clue what the hell it is. Anyway I gave him the part number (# A211 683 00, thanks to Briar) and he will get back to me, and I'm sure he will. This part number was confirmed by Mercedes customer service to be correct. Anyway, for those of you who didn't get the insert, contact your sales manager with the part number and they should order it for you.