E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Center Speaker Rattle (Harmon Kardon)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E350 Wagon P1, 08 E350 Sedan P1, 90 300E (80,000 Miles)
Center Speaker Rattle (Harmon Kardon)

Hey guys,

I have an 07 E350 Wagon 4Matic which I really love. Only issue that hasn't been resolved is a rattle, vibration or buzz coming from the center speaker on the HK sound system. It happens primarily with female vocals, acoustic music and sometimes with spoken speech...ie News/Traffic.

Has anyone else experienced this?

They've replaced the center speaker, and added foam/adhesive to the speaker grill. Once they did this, I listened to it at the dealer and it was fine. Later that day, it started acting up again. It seems that if it's a very hot day and the dashboard heats up, the speaker stops rattling and performs as designed. First thing in the morning, or anytime the dashboard hasn't baked in the sun, the vibration is back.

Has there been a TSB on this or a solution that has been applied to these cars?

I also own an 08 E-Class sedan with the HK sound system and it has never exhibited this ever. Which is very frustrating as I primarily use the wagon.

Any advise would be great or anyone else who's experienced this.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by ThreeE's
Hey guys,

I have an 07 E350 Wagon 4Matic which I really love. Only issue that hasn't been resolved is a rattle, vibration or buzz coming from the center speaker on the HK sound system. It happens primarily with female vocals, acoustic music and sometimes with spoken speech...ie News/Traffic.

Has anyone else experienced this?

They've replaced the center speaker, and added foam/adhesive to the speaker grill. Once they did this, I listened to it at the dealer and it was fine. Later that day, it started acting up again. It seems that if it's a very hot day and the dashboard heats up, the speaker stops rattling and performs as designed. First thing in the morning, or anytime the dashboard hasn't baked in the sun, the vibration is back.

Has there been a TSB on this or a solution that has been applied to these cars?

I also own an 08 E-Class sedan with the HK sound system and it has never exhibited this ever. Which is very frustrating as I primarily use the wagon.

Any advise would be great or anyone else who's experienced this.

Yep, there's a TSB for this. If you search, you'll probably find it. I'm sure Konigstiger will be chiming in soon with the TSB if you can't find it. You could PM him if you're in a hurry.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:17 PM

Glad to hear a TSB is available

I think the dealer has tried to fix it without keeping the car/ordering parts. I'm hoping a TSB will help to give them the resources they need to fix it once and for all.

Thanks

Oh, and where did you get the power folding mirrors? Where do you have the switch/control for them installed? They weren't ever a factory option were they?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think the dealer has tried to fix it without keeping the car/ordering parts. I'm hoping a TSB will help to give them the resources they need to fix it once and for all.

Thanks

Oh, and where did you get the power folding mirrors? Where do you have the switch/control for them installed? They weren't ever a factory option were they?
No sir, they weren't an option in the US. However, it was an option everywhere else. I found a guy on here selling them so I purchased them. The dealer was able to program them to fold in when the door locked and unfold when the door is unlocked. I also replaced the mirror switch with the Euro one that came with the mirrors. It's fits in the same hole in the door panel but has an extra button for folding. Pretty slick.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
No sir, they weren't an option in the US. However, it was an option everywhere else. I found a guy on here selling them so I purchased them. The dealer was able to program them to fold in when the door locked and unfold when the door is unlocked. I also replaced the mirror switch with the Euro one that came with the mirrors. It's fits in the same hole in the door panel but has an extra button for folding. Pretty slick.
Not to hijack the thread, but how complicated is the install? Any additional wiring needed, or is it already there for the switch and the mirrors?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Polar Bear
Not to hijack the thread, but how complicated is the install? Any additional wiring needed, or is it already there for the switch and the mirrors?
Yep, this is a complete thread hijack...SORRY!

The hardest part of the install was taking off the old mirrors. They're spring loaded and the screws that need to come out are behind the mirror. So you have to compress the mirror assembly in, while you loosen the bolts.

The wiring is all there. The connector for the two different switches is the exact same. You just need to pop your door panel off, unplug it, plug the new one in, put the door panel back.

Then you just take it to the dealer to get them programmed to open and close automatically.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,427 Likes on 3,149 Posts
'71 Pinto
I have an 07 E350 Wagon 4Matic which I really love. Only issue that hasn't been resolved is a rattle, vibration or buzz coming from the center speaker on the HK sound system. It happens primarily with female vocals, acoustic music and sometimes with spoken speech...ie News/Traffic. They've replaced the center speaker, and added foam/adhesive to the speaker grill. Once they did this, I listened to it at the dealer and it was fine. Later that day, it started acting up again. It seems that if it's a very hot day and the dashboard heats up, the speaker stops rattling and performs as designed. First thing in the morning, or anytime the dashboard hasn't baked in the sun, the vibration is back. Has there been a TSB on this or a solution that has been applied to these cars? I also own an 08 E-Class sedan with the HK sound system and it has never exhibited this ever. Which is very frustrating as I primarily use the wagon. Any advise would be great
DTB P-B-68.10/53 MAY07 Buzzing noises in the area of the center fill (as it pertains to your 211.287 VIN range A610908 – A774106, X165862 – 183662) apply felt to cover for speaker.

You could either request that they apply felt under the flap mechanism on both sides (reference DTB P-B-82.62/537 OCT06 – release for MY03) or cut to the chase and request they replace the ventilation screen #155 (part # A2118310036 + color code) and nozzle #152 (A2118301954 + color code) under warranty since P-B-68.10/53 repair failed to resolve temperature sensitive rattle/vibration/buzz.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
nozzle.pdf (67.7 KB, 442 views)
Old 06-20-2008, 06:53 PM

'13 E550 W4
In my case, the rattle was from a blown center speaker. I had the exact same problems you describe with vocals and system sounding crappy. Its at the dealer right now being replaced. The bad sound could be from a combination of blown center speaker and loose grill, so get them both checked out again. There should be no reason for a bad sounding system in these cars.

Last edited by Scambo; 06-21-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:07 PM

Thanks Everyone for all the info

Thanks for the info. I've been super busy but I am going to bring all the TSB information provided to the dealer. I need this fixed right. Too many failed attempts. Happy Motoring
Old 07-22-2008, 08:55 PM

'13 E550 W4
Mine actually was a blown center speaker. They replaced it. Make sure they do a complete analysis of your problem and show you its fixed at the end before you pay. Bring all your acoustic and vocal music discs that seem to cause the issue of center speaker rattling. Now that its fixed, I'm quite happy.