E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 Sport w/AMG package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 Sport w/ AMG Package
E500 Sport w/AMG package

Just curious to hear how any of you out there have an E500 Sport AMG...I don't see these very often and don't come across them mentioned here. Specifically, these cars have a "sport" badge on the side molding near the front wheel (see pic). They also have the "sport" designation on the shifter. It's got the AMG front/rear/sides/wheels/exhaust. Mine is a 2005. I love the car.
Attached Thumbnails E500 Sport w/AMG package-img_1583b-small.jpg   E500 Sport w/AMG package-img_1584small.jpg   E500 Sport w/AMG package-img_1586small.jpg   E500 Sport w/AMG package-img_1587-small.jpg  
Old 06-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Originally Posted by jlw000
Just curious to hear how any of you out there have an E500 Sport AMG...I don't see these very often and don't come across them mentioned here. Specifically, these cars have a "sport" badge on the side molding near the front wheel (see pic). They also have the "sport" designation on the shifter. It's got the AMG front/rear/sides/wheels/exhaust. Mine is a 2005. I love the car.
Congrats,

E500 is great and you can do so much to it as for modification. Mine is a E350 but I do intend to get the E550 or S550 as my next car just for the peformance.

Enjoy...
Old 06-27-2008, 03:45 PM

e500
It does not have AMG sideskirts. It has AMG dual tips (vs the quads on the AMGs) but I don't think they are the same as the AMG exhausts.

The silly thing to me is that it has the sports designation but it does not have some items like the sports edition: white gauges, grille, LED tail lights, blue tint windows.

In any case, congrats on the car.

Last edited by Neoii; 06-27-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:58 PM

You must be familiar with the package because I did not mention the gauges but you are correct. The side skirts are not like the regular non-sport car so if they are not AMG skirts I assuming there are sport skirts? As for the grill, how is the sport grill different? My eyes must be glazed over
Old 06-27-2008, 07:57 PM

e500
You must be familiar with the package because I did not mention the gauges but you are correct. The side skirts are not like the regular non-sport car so if they are not AMG skirts I assuming there are sport skirts? As for the grill, how is the sport grill different? My eyes must be glazed over
LOL. My E500 also has the AMG package so I've looked into this a little.

MB did have 3 packages: "standard", Sports, AMG. I wished the AMG would have included all the Sports items but sadly they are not. The skirts are the ones from the Sport package.

The grille on the AMG package is the same one that is on the standard. You will see 4 slats with the slats a mix of chrome and gray. The grille on the Sport package is the same one as on the E55. You will see instead 5 slats with the slats a mix of chrome and black.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:09 PM

AHA! so now i see the difference! thanks. Well I'm not sure i will do much to mod the car (though the sprintbooster sounds interesting because it does not launch like my 5 series did). I really like the car otherwise and it's got plenty of bells and whistles.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:23 PM

e500
I'm only doing basic mods: wheels, lowering, and a few minor cosmetic changes.

The sprint booster is a nice addition but I am ok with stomping a little further down when I need more power. With gas prices continually increasing, I'd rather have the option of cruising most of the time. Plus, my wife drives the car at times (not often but it does happen). It is better if the power is not so easily accessible.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:08 PM

I hear you on that one! I keep her out of it 99% of the time (unless she is along for the ride). What method are you thinking about on lowering? I understand it can be done with dealer programming...i would not mind an inch lower myself. I also would not mind an 07-08 front...but with 25K miles on it, it's still in new condition and i don't want to rip things apart that don't need to be.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:25 PM

'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
I have an '05 with AMG sport package. I prefer the black face gauges to the white.

I'm not big into "eye candy" modifications, (all show no go), but the AMG kit really sets it aside from the standard E500. After all, eye candy is very rewarding.

I am grateful that MB used dual single ex. tips, as opposed to the quad E55 tips. This way, the E500 maintains its own identity. That's my .02

A few pics:

Old 06-27-2008, 11:48 PM

i actually like the black faced gauges too and i don't like the black burl so I am pleased with my natural wood too...the entire interior looks very sharp. 2 questions: 1.) you have a front plate on the side shot and not the front shot. You got some photo shop goin' on there? 2.) Also, what tires are you using and do you like them?
Old 06-28-2008, 01:17 AM

e500
Well, I could go either way with the differences. The only 2 items I really wanted from the Sports model are the grille and the LED tail lights. I like the "Sports" grille only because I have a black car and the black slats just fit better (to me).

Luckily, these are bolt on changes and it just takes a little more $.

The 07-08 bumpers are nice and aggressive but I (we) already have the 03-06 AMG bumpers. I don't plan to swap them out.

As for lowering, Renntech ELM is what I am going to do.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E500 AMG pkg
I have same car, year, and color. This particular W211 will age better than most due to color and features. Its quite a rare combo we have. I just got a month ago, and still think its stunning. Everything has been great, except I have had front suspension and shock problems, producing a creaking sound that they can't solve. They did the service bullitens mentioned on other threads too.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:46 PM

i actually like the black faced gauges too and i don't like the black burl so I am pleased with my natural wood too...the entire interior looks very sharp. 2 questions: 1.) you have a front plate on the side shot and not the front shot. You got some photo shop goin' on there? 2.) Also, what tires are you using and do you like them?
1. Yep, I photoshopped the front shot to get rid of the plate.

2. Stock 18" Contis w/staggered factory setup: 235F and 265R IIRC. Love 'em. These are summer tires, and today after a heavy thundershower, I was very pleased to see how they behaved. Also worked very well in light snow conditions. TC is a big help!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by oilbelcher
I have same car, year, and color. This particular W211 will age better than most due to color and features. Its quite a rare combo we have. I just got a month ago, and still think its stunning. Everything has been great, except I have had front suspension and shock problems, producing a creaking sound that they can't solve. They did the service bullitens mentioned on other threads too.
I tend to think you are right about the aging. It really is a stunning car and the color is absolutely gorgeous. I've had people stop me in the parking lot about as recently as 2 weeks ago. It's still an attention getter. So far, no problems except the driver side head rest power button does not work. I will get it in soon under the factory warranty to get it fixed.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by gnma
1. Yep, I photoshopped the front shot to get rid of the plate.

2. Stock 18" Contis w/staggered factory setup: 235F and 265R IIRC. Love 'em. These are summer tires, and today after a heavy thundershower, I was very pleased to see how they behaved. Also worked very well in light snow conditions. TC is a big help!
i am running some dunlop summer tires in the staggered config and not sure i am that crazy about them. For my next pair i think i am going to do some research... but i have a ways to go on these...

As for the front plate, i took mine off and it left the holes behind. i plan to get it to a body shop to have the front bumper burned in to fix it, just have not done it yet. we don't need the front here in NC.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:23 PM

...As for the front plate, i took mine off...we don't need the front here in NC.
Lucky you! The AMG front bumper is just plain gorgeous. I remember test driving both AWD non-sport, and the AMG sport package RWD E500 before deciding. Deep down, I truly wanted a RWD V8 MB just bec. of the fun factor, so I was biased from the get-go. After lining them up together, and noticing the "Mercedes-Benz" stamped front calipers found only on RWD models, and the AMG body kit option, there was no way I could walk away from the RWD model. (Notice earlier, I stated I wasn't into eye candy...) After researching these forums, I see that the 321 option was a $4,000+ option back in '05, and is indeed a rare car. I think the E320 was also avail. with the AMG 321 package.

The newer models also get the really cool shifter paddles with the AMG kit option. Wish I had that. Other than that the E500 w/321 is a an amazing machine.

I see a E550 at work everyday, black, with AMG kit option, and that IMO is the ultimate E-class other than an AMG.

As far as aging, it seems to me that many MB's age like fine wine - they get better with age. I'm pretty sure ours will too. Enjoy the car!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by gnma
Lucky you! The AMG front bumper is just plain gorgeous. I remember test driving both AWD non-sport, and the AMG sport package RWD E500 before deciding. Deep down, I truly wanted a RWD V8 MB just bec. of the fun factor, so I was biased from the get-go. After lining them up together, and noticing the "Mercedes-Benz" stamped front calipers found only on RWD models, and the AMG body kit option, there was no way I could walk away from the RWD model. (Notice earlier, I stated I wasn't into eye candy...) After researching these forums, I see that the 321 option was a $4,000+ option back in '05, and is indeed a rare car. I think the E320 was also avail. with the AMG 321 package.

The newer models also get the really cool shifter paddles with the AMG kit option. Wish I had that. Other than that the E500 w/321 is a an amazing machine.

I see a E550 at work everyday, black, with AMG kit option, and that IMO is the ultimate E-class other than an AMG.

As far as aging, it seems to me that many MB's age like fine wine - they get better with age. I'm pretty sure ours will too. Enjoy the car!

I hope your right about the aging thing. I really like the way mine looks now but dont know if I will feel the same after 5 years. I once thought a 2002 E320 looked fantastic but it now looks very dated.
Nickel
Old 07-07-2008, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nickelmania-Dal
I hope your right about the aging thing. I really like the way mine looks now but dont know if I will feel the same after 5 years. I once thought a 2002 E320 looked fantastic but it now looks very dated.
Nickel
I know what you mean, but sometimes the new models don't cut it. I just sold a 2002 530i sport and it was a beatiful car inside and out and I liked it (and that body style) a thousand times better that the current 5 series, which is a travesty.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
I know what you mean, but sometimes the new models don't cut it. I just sold a 2002 530i sport and it was a beatiful car inside and out and I liked it (and that body style) a thousand times better that the current 5 series, which is a travesty.
I agree with you. Sometimes the new body styles just don't do it. I also prefer the previous gen 5-series. The current one has yet to grow on me completely. I've seen the spy pics of the W212 E-class, and I'm not sold on the new headlight design yet.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:03 PM

2005 E500
black grill

Where did you get the blacked out grill from?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:47 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I always found it weird that we get the black gauges and "regular" wood. I gotta say I prefer our wood over the dark wood by far, but I do like the white guages.

Also, I don't know if this is because I have an '06, but my grille is definitely different and IMO nicer than the regular Sport model grill (I had them side by side when I was buying the car), the Sport does have 5 slabs (which I didn't notice until now), but mine has the insides, before the chrome, painted (what seems to be) the body color of my car (pewter), it looks way sportier and nicer to me than the 5 slab w/ black, especially when I had them side by side.

Also, our's don't come with the blue Tint? Is that available with the P1 Package?

I also just noticed the skirts aren't actual AMG, which doesn't make sense they half assed us with AMG everything but skirts.

I gotta say, when I was looking to buy one of these, I was really adamant for an '06 style with the AMG package, the '07's look amazing as well, but since you see the AMG kit everywhere with them (especially with the '09's all getting them), IMO an '03-'06 with the AMG package looks more "rare" I guess you could say, and draws a closer distinction to an E55, just helping it in the cool factor IMO.

Is this a regular grille??

Last edited by K-A; 08-05-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:22 PM

e500
Originally Posted by K-A
I also just noticed the skirts aren't actual AMG, which doesn't make sense they half assed us with AMG everything but skirts.
I totally agree. Although, the rear is already a modified rear since we do not have quads. I guess if they did provide the AMG skirts, it would be harder to tell between the true AMG cars and the E3/5 with the kit on.

Originally Posted by K-A
Also, I don't know if this is because I have an '06, but my grille is definitely different and IMO nicer than the regular Sport model grill (I had them side by side when I was buying the car), the Sport does have 5 slabs (which I didn't notice until now), but mine has the insides, before the chrome, painted (what seems to be) the body color of my car (pewter), it looks way sportier and nicer to me than the 5 slab w/ black, especially when I had them side by side.

Is this a regular grille??
Yes, that's the regular grille. Although it looks like your body color, you just kind of lucked out. It is that color regardless of the body color. I have a black and the grille is the same color as yours.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:59 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Damn, haha, and all this time I was stoked I had a "special" grille. Well I guess I can keep mine on since it does look color matched. IMO, unless one has a black car, I honestly do like 4 slab grille more, I dunno, maybe if it weren't color matched with my car I'd be singing to a different tune....I think the best mod someone could do actually, is color code the inner parts of the grille with their car color
Old 08-05-2008, 11:36 PM

e500
Originally Posted by K-A
IMO, unless one has a black car, I honestly do like 4 slab grille more, I dunno, maybe if it weren't color matched with my car I'd be singing to a different tune....I think the best mod someone could do actually, is color code the inner parts of the grille with their car color
I have a black car. When I bought it, the grille was cracked so I asked for the sports one with black slats.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:30 PM

bmw 335xi coupe, future e55 amg or c63
WHERE can i get the amg kit??? Link plz !!!!!!!!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E500 Sport w/AMG package