E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

speeding ticket story (beltfed you'll like this)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
speeding ticket story (beltfed you'll like this)

Just the other day on this site some were talking about the feasibility of owning supercars when you live in areas where you can't even come close to using the car as designed. Living on Long Island with Beltfed, we were both complaining about traffic. Of course there are some good spots for "spirited" driving. Forget Nassau County and anywhere within the city limits. Suffolk County does have some good spots at certain times of the day. So the story goes: My wife is coming home (Beltfed, near the end of the northern state) and looks down at her speedo and realizes she is doing 70mph and says to herself "I better slow down before I get caught". About a minute later she looks ahead and sure enough she sees a car pulled over by a cop. My wife says "ha ha, he got you instead of me". Of course as she passes said car, she realizes that it's me!! I saw her go by and mumbled "should have been her". "What" says the cop, "nothing" I reply. Oh, for those that are wondering, an E500 drives quite nicely at 97mph. The cop told me he couldn't decide if he should kick my *** first, or look at the car!
Old 12-19-2002, 06:02 PM

14 'E550
That's funny but sad at the same time, so you got pulled over buy a cop not a NY State Trooper (they are littered all over the Northern State, especially toward the end of the month).

The Northern Pkwy is one of the few places you can get a chance to drive a bit fast on LI, LIE is too crowded (even during the day). They know this, which is why the Northern Pkwy is State Trooper heaven.

Agreed, Nassau is a joke when it comes to driving.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Yeah it was a trooper, but the best part of the story is that I asked him if it would help me if I told him I was good friends with a very high ranking trooper. He actually called him and asked if I was in fact his friend, so I got out of it!! A minute later my cell phone rings and it's my buddy, who proceeds to ream me out!! early x-mas present. You're right the LIE is a joke, however there are some decent stretches on the east bound service road.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
actually, ocean parkway down at Jones Beach is the best road for this kind of stuff, and it is in nassau county (suffolk also). In the winter, the road is dead during the day. you can drive it in one direction to scan for the police, then make a u turn for a blast in the other direction. very relaxing, nice views.

get a lawyer for that ticket right away.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:29 AM

2013 S550
Definite on the lawyer. I had 4 speeding tickets inside of two months -- something I'm not proud of. Yes, a couple were speed traps...2 were on/off ramps on the interstate, but still.

All four were dismissed. Count lawyer's fees plus time away from the office -- pretty expensive. It's been almost 1.5 years without a moving violation (knock wood).
Old 12-20-2002, 08:45 AM

W211 & Q7
slow down

I believe there are a lot of ticket quota has to be consumed before end of year.

As I said in another thread, we buy e style, not speed. A few years ago, I was caught 70 mph in 55 mile limit and 40 mph in 25 mile limit roads. I think a $75 speed ticket is not a big deal, the real penalty is from my insurance fee which was increased for 4 consecutive years which makes me belive I should enjoy style than speed.

If you do love speed, get a good rader jammer or drive German car in German highway.

Otto
Old 12-20-2002, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
nyca, you are right about ocean pkwy. In fact I did just as you described the other day! There's nothing like driving along the ocean during the winter. Not a soul around. Of course when I got nabbed my radar detector was in the glove compartment. It's usually there, since i'm usually sitting in traffic.

Trending Topics

Old 12-23-2002, 07:20 PM

2000 audq a6
good story-
hands down for me? I love the hgwy (27? Sunrise) that lead to the hamptons- In my audi i was at 118- saw a cop on the meridian, was sure i was going to get locked up= he had the radar gun pointed the oppostie way.
I get my E500 in 2 weeks-in the event I am lazy- can u recomend the BEST detailer in Nassua or Queens?
tks
Old 12-24-2002, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
detailer

There is a detailer on Staten Island who has a very good reputation here and on autopia.com Send me an e-mail and I will get his number. It's not handy right now.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:17 PM

2000 audq a6
SI detailer

Hi and tks for the feedback-
mike_fern2001@yahoo.com

I mostly do it myself ad I have yet to find anyone who even knows to use clean towels!
Old 12-24-2002, 11:22 PM

2003 E500
Radar

Actually you guys should check out a Valentine 1. I can NOT tell you how great that unit is. It's a bit pricey at $399 but think of the speeding tix and insurance rates your save if you didn't get nabbed for those 4 tix in 2 months.. it's probably MADE YOU MONEY.

I have tried some other detectors in the past.. and this one is in a league by itself. Even the "dealer installed" K40 (about $1000) is not as good. Trust me.

The range and ACCURACY of the unit are incredible but it also keeps a count of the various signals it spots and tells you WHERE they are (ahead, beside or behind). It has saved me several time just from the location finder alone.

Peter